Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#20534 - 02/13/06 11:31 PM NOVELO'S BUS TERMINALS BEGIN RE-OPENING COUNTRYWIDE TODAY
Marty Offline
NOVELO'S BUS TERMINALS BEGIN RE-OPENING COUNTRYWIDE TODAY

Last week Tuesday Government announced its decision to re-open the Novelo's Bus Terminals countrywide. This morning the terminal in Corozal was opened and it is expected the one in Dangriga will also be opened today. The former Novelo's Terminal in Belmopan has been open for a couple of weeks and is being used by both National Transport and James Bus Line. We spoke with Policy and Planning Officer in the Ministry of Transport, Works and Communication, Glenn Tillett to find out what will happen in the other municipalities.

Glenn Tillett:

There are no terminals in Orange Walk and San Ignacio, what we have there are offices that were rented by the management of Novelo's Bus Line limited so there are no terminals per se. If you think of a terminal as somewhere with a public concourse where people can gather, purchase tickets, purchase food and receive other services as well as take the bus then these places have no facilities. I would think that when the authority is properly constituted come April their plan will include the building and construction of terminals in San Ignacio and Orange Walk. I would think that in the case of San Ignacio and Orange Walk every attempt will be made to facilitate our commuting public in terms of their comfort and security in terms of getting their buses etc. We continue to work at the system, we keep trying to improve the system and we welcome all suggestions whether it be comments, criticisms etc. We don't think we know it all [Manuela] we count on the commuting public to!
enlighten us where many of the problems are concerned.

#20535 - 02/19/06 04:23 PM Re: NOVELO'S BUS TERMINALS BEGIN RE-OPENING COUNTRYWIDE TODAY
kuntrygirl Offline
Well I am glad to hear that things are improving. As a passsenger who rode the pubic busses for two weeks (my father and I) I will have to say that riding the public busses was quite an experience for us!

I can compare the Belize Bus System to perhaps the LYNX Bus System that is in Orlando, Florida. Both are run on regular scheduled routes and are a much needed system of transportation. The LYNX system is not nearly as crowded on its busses, but I never felt safe at any of the bus stops or transfers - the LYNX terminals were also havens for pick-pockets, rapists, beggars, drug dealers, and other persons of criminal intent.

I can honestly say that the people I rode with on the Belize Bus System were some of the nicest people I have ever had an opportunity to meet. Even though the busses were often uncomfortably crowded, no one took unfair advantage of the situation to inappropariately touch or steal anything. I was quite concerned for the small children on the bus who often had no place to sit other than to stand in the center isle, that is until I noticed the custom of allowing the children to sit in one's lap. So I rode with little children on my lap, who smiled and laughed and enjoyed the cookies and candies that I carried in my hand bag (with the parent's permission of course).

The drivers were very courteous to me and my father. The persons who collected the money for the trips were likewise courteous and contientious to count out the change for us. None took advantage of our unfamiliarity with the local currency to charge us too much money. My father learned not to tap that person on the back - he did that to ask a question and the poor guy nearly jumped out of his skin. I suspect they are concerned about being robbed but nothing of the sort ever happened while we were riding.

I think the LYNX Bus Sytem could learn a few lessons from the Belize Bus Sytem. I was never treated with such coutersy on the Orlando Busses.

I am glad to hear that the Belize system is improving. A bankruptcy like that in the States would have been devastating, even crippling, but the Belizeans seem to take everything in stride.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyboy), 46 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.