Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#208385 - 01/27/02 12:56 PM Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
SusanB Offline
including the islands.
Thank you.

[This message has been edited by SusanB (edited 01-27-2002).]

#208386 - 01/27/02 03:25 PM Re: Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Crime in Belize? That's one of those subjects on which you can get a variety of opinions, and most will be right. It's all in how you look at it, and also how you learn to handle living in a developing country.

It also depends on where you are in Belize. Belize City is a different world from, say,
San Pedro or Corozal Town or a rural area.

Overall, the crime rate in Belize is pretty high. Statistics are unreliable, but there are more than 60 murders a year, this in a country with just 240,000 people. That's about three times as high as in the U.S. Petty crime -- theft, burglaries, etc. are also more common than in most areas of the U.S. Police in Belize (unlike in many other countries in the region) do try to solve crimes, but they are ill-trained.

This is fairly typical of developing countries. Low income levels generally and the influx of immigrants from even poorer neighboring countries, and an inefficient police system, and the general lack of resources compared to a rich country like the U.S., mean that you can't just leave your property lying around or your home unprotected, as the temptation is too great. If you have a home, in most areas you'd be wise to have a dog or a caretaker when you leave.

But on the positive side those who learn to adapt to the conditions in a developing country in most cases have no problems. They learn where not to go, how to protect their property efficiently, just as in the U.S. one chooses a certain neighborhood because of its relatively safety, takes precautions such as installing security systems, lighting, learn where not to go alone, etc.

Most visitors and adapted long-time residents to Belize say they feel as safe or safer than they did back home.

You might look at my new book, Adapter Kit: Belize, from Avalon, which discusses crime in Belize in detail.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#208387 - 01/28/02 10:14 AM Re: Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
M-A Gaffney Offline

#208388 - 01/28/02 11:09 PM Re: Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
bobby grimes Offline
Lan, as usuall is pretty much on track.

There is crime in Belize just as there is anywhere and some of it is violent crime.

Whether living in Belize or just visiting you will be responsible for your own actions...don't depend on other people, including the police, to look out for your safety and/or security.

You can be perfectly safe in Belize once you learn the "ropes" which include where, when
and how to go about your daily routines.

We have been in Belize for about 5 years are
still ticking...we have had our trials and have learned a few lessons the hard way but still love it.

#208389 - 01/29/02 12:30 AM Re: Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
SusanB Offline
Is there a difference betw. mainland and A.C.? re: crime
(by the way, I appreciate these responses.)

#208390 - 02/01/02 09:14 PM Re: Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
bobby grimes Offline
I don't go to AC so I can't speak from first hand knowledge but according to all I read and see about AC it's pretty good other than some petty thefts and be careful about walking islolated beaches alone at night.

Generally when you get outside of BC the crime rate drops dramatically and even then
its usually confined to locals.

Not to worry...just take normal precautions.

#208391 - 02/02/02 12:12 PM Re: Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline

Belize City is certainly the crime capital of Belize, but Orange Walk Town and Dangriga are also usually considered to have fairly high crime rates.

Rural areas of the mainland and the islands generally have lower crime rates, though Ambergris Caye, because it has 5,000+ full-time residents and at any one time with tourists and construction workers etc. there can be 10,000 people on the island, you naturally are going to have crime.

Petty thefts, break-ins and drunken fights/ knifings/choppings can be a problem anywhere but only really in Belize City is there a constant issue of personal safety in some neighborhoods.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#208392 - 02/05/02 10:09 AM Re: Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
Mike and Daphne Ryan Offline
I suppose there are problems on AC like anywhere, but I have to say that I felt 10 times safer in San Pedro than I have felt in the 30 years I've spent in Manhattan and Brooklyn (scattered over 65 years).

Maybe I'm blind to the problems. I'll be checking it out again in three days.

Mike Ryan

#208393 - 02/06/02 06:24 PM Re: Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
SusanB Offline
Hi Mike, That's good news because I have lived in Man., Brooklyn and Honolulu riding many miles days and nights on my bike. So I guess if I can handle it in those towns, A.C. sounds like a piece of cake

#208394 - 02/20/02 07:52 PM Re: Please, the real scope on crime in Belize
silkpainter Offline
Today, Wednesday Feb. 20, 2002, in protest of the rising crime in Belize, many Belize City businesses closed down.
Bowen and Bowen, the water, beer and soda supplier on Caye Caulker, and for most of Belize, closed in solidarity of this act by Belize Cith businesses.
-Lee Vanderwalker-Alamina

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 38 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,717 Topics
461,257 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.