Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208540 - 06/29/02 10:23 PM Slow Boat to Belize
ScubaLdy Offline
I'm happy to see this area active again. I've always been in a hurry to get to Belize -- but now that I am retired I am thinking of taking the sceenic route. I've read about the buses through Mexico. Can anyone fill me in.
Where, in the US, do they depart from?
Do I remember right that there is now a water taxi or ferry or something from the southern Mexican border to Ambrigris Caye?
I'll be moving down in January and would like to bring a trunk with me and this seems like a better (and more interesting way) to go than flying.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#208541 - 06/30/02 03:19 AM Re: Slow Boat to Belize
rickcheri Offline
Congrats on retirment!!!!!!!
Ya hooo!!! BELIZE!!!!!
Please let us know where you decide!!! Our house is almost done!!!! Talk with ya soon,

#208542 - 06/30/02 03:25 PM Re: Slow Boat to Belize
ScubaLdy Offline
I'll headquarter in San Pedro (rent) while my cabana is being built out on Long Caye. Then will go back and forth between the two islands and California. I figure to spend about 1 month at a time on Long Caye, then a few weeks in San Pedro, back to the island, etc. I figure about two trips a year back to California for two months at a time.
I can hardly wait.

#208543 - 06/30/02 08:55 PM Re: Slow Boat to Belize
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
There are zillions of buses all over Mexico. Where you start from in Mexico depends on where you are in the U.S. Mexican buses, at either the first and deluxe class buses, are comfortable, cool and fairly cheap. But getting to Chetumal/Coro takes a L..O..N..G time. There are now two ferries from Corozal to San Pedro, one daily and one almost daily.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#208544 - 07/01/02 02:17 AM Re: Slow Boat to Belize
ScubaLdy Offline
Thanks Lan
So, say I want to leave from Los Angeles how long would it take to get to Corozol? Days? Hours?? Either figure. As I said, I would not be in a hurry and have never travel cross country through the south. How would I locate a bus company on-line?

#208545 - 07/01/02 10:45 AM Re: Slow Boat to Belize

It will take FOREVER to get from L.A. to Chetumal. After you get from L.A. to, say, Mexicali, you're still almost 2,500 miles from Chetumal, and from Nogales in Arisona to Chetumal is around 2200 miles. With bus changes and delays you're talking a week or more. Mexican buses are comfortable, but nothing could make me spend a week on buses.

Two good Web sites with Mexican bus information and links are http://www.ourmexico.com/directory/transport/buses.htm and http://www.magic-bus.com/buslinks.shtml

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#208546 - 07/01/02 03:04 PM Re: Slow Boat to Belize
silkpainter Offline
A friend of mine does this trip at least once a year, and has dont the trip by bus 6 or 7 times. It takes her about 3 days nonstop travel to get from LA to AC, and longer if she stops. Life is great when you take the scenic route. She enters Mexico at Nuevo Laredo and routes thru Mexico City. She knows all the stops, Taxco, Mexico City, the markets, where to stay. I'll ask her for more information if you're interested. Yes there are 2 water taxis going from Corozal to San Pedro, the Thunderbolt and the Linda Lee. The cost is 40 bz each way, boats leave in the morning at 7 a.m. and in the after at 3 p.m. (I think)
-Lee Vanderwalker-Alamina

#208547 - 07/01/02 04:11 PM Re: Slow Boat to Belize
ScubaLdy Offline
Thanks so much - this sounds like the kind of adventure that intrigues me. I will send you my e-mail address via your web page.

#208548 - 07/01/02 05:31 PM Re: Slow Boat to Belize
It's a little over 1400 miles from L.A. to Nuevo Laredo and another 1400 miles from Nuevo Laredo to Chetumal by the shortest routes. That's 2800 miles. I guess if you averaged 50 mph on the road that would mean 56 hours in the bus, plus however many hours of changes, delays, border crossings and wait times between buses. So with ideal connections and assuming traveling 24 hours a day (most buses in Mexico that I've ridden don't travel late at night) I guess it would be possible to do it in three days. Still, that's not something I'd want to do, even if I were young. It sounds less like an adventure than several days of torture.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#208549 - 09/15/02 01:03 AM Re: Slow Boat to Belize
lorrie Offline
I Travel from Cancun by bus about every 6 months. Congrads on retirement. Wish I was there. Not yet. Working on a plan. Anyway if you catch the first clause bus (primero Clause) from Cancun at 12 noon. It takes about 5 hours. Beter yet spend the night in Playa Del Carmen and catch the bus in the morning. There are very reasonable places to stay. I go to Chetumal and call my taxi driver Armondo Medina 422634 or 161423 he gets me across the border no problem. Stay at Corozal Bay Inn or Tony's. Breakfast at Tony's then catch the 300 pm ferry to San Pedro$20.00 US. This is a very inexpensive route. If you have time stop in Tulum along the way. First class Bus is $15.00 US one way. Less from Playa Del Carmen. All the way to Chetumal.You can get a bus from the airport to Playa for about $8.00 US. A taxi to the downtown Cancun bus station is $30.00 one way. I would spend my money staying the night in Playa Del Carmen and I now do. No spanish required except Primera Clause (first class) I Don't know if this is of help but good luck. Lorrie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.