Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208563 - 06/03/02 07:19 AM Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
Woz Offline
Am I over thinking this? Should I just show up on Belizes door step? Thinking of staying for 6 months renting a quite place to write and paint. Maybe do some volunteer work to get involved with the comunity.
From reading past message boards, and tour books the impression I've come away with hits the range from : Every one loves every one, you can drink a gallon of rum without getting a hangover, and problems just magicaly go away upon setting foot on Belizian soil. The other side of the coin is, fearfull tourist experiencing rape, pillage, and torture before they ever get out of Belize City. If they make it out of the City alive they can expect to be consumed by Jelly Fish Larva, Bot Flies, Jumping Snakes and worse.
I'm an optimist at heart. No hang overs in Belize?
How much should I prepare for in advance?

#208564 - 06/03/02 11:05 AM Re: Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
Richard Chambers Offline
Do you know the name of the "Hangoverless" rum you mention?! I'll be needing it when i return to AC the 26th of this month!
I enjoyed the place so much last time that if i had a hangover i don't remember it!
If i were an artist i would go to AC or Caulker, probably Caulker due to the affordability factor. You can go to the cayes without going into town in Belize City by getting off one plane and on to another.

#208565 - 06/03/02 01:58 PM Re: Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
ljacks Offline
Right now there seems to be a lot for rent in San Pedro. Because of the recent closure of a medical school accommodations are not hard to find right now.
I know people that are now renting here for $400 US per month .. a decent place.
You need not worry in San Pedro but stay away from Belize City. If you do not know what you are doing there you can get into trouble. Caye Caulker is also nice and cheaper, but, even though I like a quiet place … that is too quiet for me.
There are people that do what you suggest and they seem to come back every year so there must be something that they like. Life is simple here, although that simplicity can cause frustration when things are not they way you are used to.
All the best.

#208566 - 06/03/02 03:00 PM Re: Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
Chloe Offline
Sorry to say this, and I do have two friends living on Caye Caulker, but I found CC people to be stand offish, and not as friendly as in San Pedro. Found it to be the same on both of my visits to CC.

#208567 - 06/04/02 04:41 AM Re: Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
susangg Offline
I think Ambergris Caye would be a wonderful place to take a 6 month sabbatical to write or paint or do whatever kind of creative stuff you want to do.
For long term rentals, you might want to email Mary Hawthorne at Caye Management (she's on the www.ambergriscaye.com web site). She seems to know about long term rental availability and usually has things in a broad range of prices.
From what I have seen, the biggest risk factor that US folks planning long term stays on AC need to be aware of is that the "party" environment sometimes lulls some (not all, not most, just some) expats into over indulgence in alcohol, which can wreak havoc with the creative impulse in anyone (not to mention one's marriage or relationship).
And of course, many people are completely unaffected by this issue, due to lifestyle and/or genes. But it is something to keep in the back of your mind if you are coming for awhile to create, relax or just clear your head.

#208568 - 06/04/02 04:46 AM Re: Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
Woz Offline
Ooops. Failed to mention before that I'm driving Via Mexico with Scottish Deerhound = BIG DOG in tow. Car and dog might make island life a bit complicated. AC & CC sound like a lot of fun. I love rum and diving, don't think I'd get much painting done. Safer for me on the mainland I think. Any good places to stay there? Some one suggested around San Ignacio.
Planning on popping over to the Cayes for the occasional rum and dive fix.

#208569 - 06/04/02 05:05 AM Re: Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
Woz Offline
Susangg...we're ouy of sync. You posted while I was writting my last post. But we're on the same page thought wise. Agree that too much sun, fun, rum, and tropical waters is detrimental to the creative process. Might spend my last month on the Cayes as a treat for getting some creative work done. The old carrot in front of the mule trick.
I will look up the rentals, thanks.

#208570 - 06/04/02 07:11 PM Re: Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
silkpainter Offline
There is definitely a booze factor on the cayes. I dont even drink anymore. I see so many of my friends here on CC and in SP half on the bag by 11 a.m., its just not productive. San Ignacio is CHEAP to live in or around and safe and quiet. I've lived in San Pedro, in a nice apartment 2 buildings north of Ramone's Village with a spectacular view, but no privacy! Living in a fishbowl was not for me, and the cost of living was too high. And now I'm in a 2nd floor apartment on Caye Caulker in a concrete building, right above my business, and you can't tell if I'm home or not from street level. Lots of artist in San Pedro and Caye Caulker, but even more from the Cayo area, and I think its because cost of living is so low.
--Silk
www.caribbean-colors.com

#208571 - 06/04/02 08:21 PM Re: Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
San Ignacio offers a lot, including low costs and few mozzies, but it does get really hot there, especially in the dry season, and there are no sea breezes to cool you down.

The Corozal Town area is another option. Rental prices are even lower there, you are close to Chetumal, Mexico, for a wider variety of shopping and good health care, and while there are no real beaches the bay is beautiful.

--Lan Sluder
Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide (new 4th edition coming this summer)
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
San Pedro Cool (the first and only visitor guide to Ambergris Caye)
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists

#208572 - 06/04/02 08:45 PM Re: Lodgings ,expenses, and life .
Woz Offline
Silk. Yeah!!! An artist! BIG QUESTION How hard is it to get art suplies there??? Right now I'm ignoring the fact that I should be figuring out how to fit me, the dog who's about the same size as me,my scuba gear, camping gear, computer,and clothes all into the car. Something's going to have to get thined out, or I buy a Mac Truck.
Planing on writting and illustrating a book. Like to work in Guaches,inks, and water colors. Can you buy paints and inks there or should I bring with? How about Plasticine or Sculpey Clay?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 44 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,077 Topics
462,353 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.