Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208585 - 08/07/02 09:31 AM House Insurance
Beachdog Offline
I would be interested in finding out what companies some of you 'boarders' are using to insure your homes on the island. What to look out for and any problems with filing claims.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#208586 - 08/07/02 10:03 AM Re: House Insurance
mayatravel Offline
F&G, formerly Roe Insurance, which I use for home, vehicle and health. They have a great health insurance plan specifically for Americans living overseas that includes air ambulance, great rates and great coverage. Contact Joyce Perdomo at <roesons@btl.net>.
Maya Travel Services

#208587 - 08/07/02 11:46 AM Re: House Insurance
sanpedroslim Offline
We used Regent Insurance in Belize City. They came highly recommended. We dealt with Johny Valdez - 02-73744. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by sanpedroslim (edited 08-07-2002).]

#208588 - 08/07/02 12:35 PM Re: House Insurance
susangg Offline
We pay $705 per year (US dollars) to ensure our two condo units. We use Regent Insurance. When we had damage from Hurricane Keith, they were very prompt and businesslike in evaluating the damage and paying the claim, so we are quite satisfied with their service.
Regent is in Belize City but they have a local agent in San Pedro for payment acceptance.
Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: susangg@garcia.mpowermail.com

#208589 - 08/07/02 01:41 PM Re: House Insurance
ChilledOut Offline
Like many we use Regent to insure both our home and boat and when we compared them to others find them very competitive. We are also looking at health insurance via British Fidelity which provides treatment in many countries including the US and Mexico. Like Regent they are based in Belize City but have an agent on the island.

#208590 - 08/07/02 08:22 PM Re: House Insurance
kcbc Offline
I have had both Insurance Corporation of Belize and also Regent Insurance. Used both to insure our home and vehicle. Never did have a claim with ICB but after we switched to Regent our home was damaged by Hurricane Iris. When we checked rates both companies had the same rate schedule and the only reason we switched was because we knew the local Regent sales agent better than the ICB person.
We never did receive a policy just because we come and go and it never made it down to our agent. Thought that might result in a problem but it did not. Things we learned were under law if you have damage you only have xxxx amount of days to notify the company. It is listed in the insurance policy somewhere. You can be required to have several estimates submitted regarding the damage. In the case of Hurricane Iris there is a deduction from your check. Can't remember the figure but if they say you are going to get 10,000, you are going to get 10,000 less the deduction. Several of these things were surprises to us but that is what you get when you don't take the time to get your policy and then sit down and read it. Can only plead that we never planned on Hurricane Iris coming ashore and ripping the roof off our house.
Overhaul it was less a hassle than I thought it would be and the adjuster was there within days and our check was available in a timely matter.

#208591 - 08/07/02 09:18 PM Re: House Insurance
rickcheri Offline
We just got IBC, on a recomendation from a very respected Local there.. Our house is not finished yet, but got it insuranced anyway..
More than the cost to rebuild. And there plans are very good, compared to here in the states. Fully covered!!!!!! let us know, and I can put you in contact.. Thanks, Rick

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 08-07-2002).]

#208592 - 08/09/02 06:05 PM Re: House Insurance
hunters Offline
Are all of your structures cement or are they wood or mix? I heard rumor that they are no longer insuring wood for hurricane. I would assume wood would cost more to insure any idea how much more and if it is available?
No matter where you go ... There you are!

#208593 - 08/09/02 06:19 PM Re: House Insurance
ChilledOut Offline
Ours is concrete but some friends of ours just took out insurance on a wood structure with IBC. When they were looking they were told that each insurance company have a quota of wood structures they will insure and in some cases this has already been reached. It is more expensive to insure wood but it is available.

#208594 - 08/10/02 12:36 PM Re: House Insurance
Beachdog Offline
Thanks everyone for all your insight! This is exactly the info I was looking for and it will certainly help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (WWIII, Pokey, 3 invisible), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,684 Topics
461,182 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.