Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208706 - 10/31/02 02:16 AM Might be Moving
aggie00 Offline
I am thinking about moving to AC after the first of the year and I am wondering what Life would be like for a 20 something Gringo in Belize?

#208707 - 10/31/02 06:04 AM Re: Might be Moving
Richard Chambers Offline
There is a song by that name that tells the story well ! :rolleyes:

#208708 - 10/31/02 06:59 AM Re: Might be Moving
aggie00 Offline
What song is that?

#208709 - 10/31/02 04:21 PM Re: Might be Moving
Richard Chambers Offline
I purchased the cd by Dennis Wolfe in SP last summer of "Gringo in Belize". I think Buffet did a version too. Dennis' cd has a bunch of good local stuff on it .I believe it will require a trip to AC to get it though, not a bad requirement IMHO!
You certianly would not want to consider moving there without a few month long, extensively traveled, stay there though.
Richard

#208710 - 10/31/02 04:36 PM Re: Might be Moving
NYgal Offline
I have it by Jerry Jeff Walker too.

#208711 - 10/31/02 06:02 PM Re: Might be Moving
aggie00 Offline
I have another question, Will I be the only one or are there others that have made the move and are living down there?

#208712 - 10/31/02 06:30 PM Re: Might be Moving
silkpainter Offline
Aggie, sounds like you havent ever been to San Pedro. If so, then do yourself a favor and make a visit first. Also, spend some time reading posts from the last year right here in this forum, you'll see most of your questions will be answered.

#208713 - 10/31/02 06:36 PM Re: Might be Moving
silkpainter Offline
All of you that might be offended by the next comment, dont get your panties in a twist-I'm not labeling you OLD.... San Pedro caters to an older crowd of Americans and Canadians, older meaning over 30 (like myself, actually... I'm over 40... but shhhhh!) Caye Caulker attracts the under 30 crowd, backpackers and Europeans. So... what am I doing on Caye Caulker (I ask myself that question sometimes) And the answer to that is... I still think I'm 16. wink

#208714 - 10/31/02 07:33 PM Re: Might be Moving
aggie00 Offline
My main concern is that I am not completely isolated, I have been in that situation before and there is only so much fishing that one can do. By the way how far is CC from AC?

#208715 - 10/31/02 08:20 PM Re: Might be Moving
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Some of the expats in San Pedro may correct me, but I can think of almost no one in his or her 20s who moved to San Pedro from outside the country and stayed very long. Usually they stay a few months and then move on. That's true of most people who move to San Pedro, of any age, but truer of young people.

Why?

Because it's a little island (the biggest island off Belize but still small). With a population of less than 5,000 residents. With not a lot to do other than fishing, diving and other water-related activities. With most island residents being from an entirely different cultural background and often speaking Spanish, not English, at home. With only a small expat community, most of whom are retired or nearly so, or who operate tourist-related businesses. With very limited cultural life -- no movie theater, no real art galleries (other than those selling to tourists), no real theater, no NPR radio. With a cost of living that's surprisingly high, in most ways about the same as Florida.

There are expats who have made the transition to long-term San Pedro living successfully. For some people it's just right.

But it's a big world out there. Six billion people. Some 200 countries. Lots to see, lots to do, lots to accomplish. An island 25 miles long, about 1 mile wide and with a few thousand people can get real small real quick.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Diver Damon, 1 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.