Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I'm getting ready to move to Caye Caulker.

I'll be renting a furnished apartment, so I don't need to bring very much. Still, there are a couple of items that worry me...

My PC. A laptop won't do. I need to bring a desktop PC. I can probably just pack it in a suitcase, surrounded by clothes. But I also need 2 17" monitors. The monitors I have are the old, big style, not the slim LCD ones. I could just leave them behind and by new ones. Otherwise, I'll have to ship them. Do any of you know what I should expect to pay for a 17" monitor in Belize City? How much might it cost to ship them? And what shipping company do you recomend?

I'll also need a bicycle. I already have one. Its a relatively new, low-end mountain bike. Although I've never done it, I understand that a bike can be boxed, and checked onto an airplane as luggage. If, when I pack, all my personal items will not fit in a single trunk, the bike will become my 3rd piece of checked baggage. Airlines generally charge around $100us to check an extra piece. What might it cost to ship the bike? Or buy a new one when I get there?

I am not a resident of Belize. Assuming that I do move the stuff I already have, should I expect to pay duty on it? Would it change anything if I shipped to a resident, or citizen, instead of to myself?

Thanks in advance!
B

Regular 17" monitors range from $555 - $700.00Bze. Brands from DTS &
Viewsonic.
17" Flat screens are in the range of $2300.00Bze still.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks, Marty

At $555 and up, it certainly seems worthwhile to move the monitors I have.

B

I live on Caye Caulker, and what you need is a big tire beach cruiser, single speed. Metal rusts so fast here that you'll spend more on wd40 keeping your speed changer and brakes working than what the bike is worth, plus the hassle of getting it out to the caye. You can buy a new bike with an antirust chain in Belize City for about $250 bz, and bring it out on the water taxi.

Wow!! Why the computer stuff so expensive? What happened to the NAFTA?? Seems so wrong to have something as simple as a monitor cost as much as a whole system!! Is it just the duty fees or what? SAD!!

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks, Silkpainter...

That's exactly what I'll do. I can't find that Warhol book that I promised you, but maybe it will turn up when I move.

B

Hope you are not confused by the 2 to 1 conversion from $us to $bze!The $700bze is actually $350us.
Richard

If you are interested in getting in touch with someone to assist you getting your things into Belize, I can recommend someone. You can contact me at [email protected]

B
B
Go to a bicycle shop in your area and ask for a box. They usually keep a few around. I've taken 2 used bikes on 2 occasions to BZ (both times on AA) that I wanted to keep there since I don't use them much in the States.
The first time AA didn't charge a fee, the second time I was charged $40.00US because the box and contents came to 73lbs when checked. You can add more stuff into the box, just make sure it doesn't weigh more than 70lbs.
At customs in Belize I was charged 9% duty on the bike I valued at $100.00US (it was used and looked it). The second time all I had to pay duty on was a new marine radio, not the bike. I had a ton of stuff which I wasn't charged for, mainly household items.
When you go to declare your goods have an itemized list and receipts ready for the customs officer. As far as the value on used stuff give them a fair amount and usually they'll cut you some slack. You might want to bring a roll of tape to reseal the inspected boxes so you're ready to send them on to CC.
Hope this helps, good luck.

B
OP Offline
B
Richard:
I understand the exchange rate. According to Marty, a 17" monitor will cost me $277.50-350US. I'm pretty sure I can take them on the plane with me for $100US or less each, so it seems worthwhile to move them. If I could replace them for $150US, it would be another story.

Bywarren:
Look for my email.

Beachdog:
Thanks for your reply. I expect to heed Silkpainter's rust warning, and buy a new bike once I arrive. Still, the customs info is helpful

B

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 193 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.