Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Service by the Scotia Prince between Tampa and Cancun (Morelos), Mexico, has been discontinued, less than two months after the service began.

However, the Yucatan Express people and vehicle ferry service will continue on weekly basis between Tampa and Progreso near Merida.

A company representative said it was not because of low occupancy on the cruise, which began service November 22, 2002, but because of "operational and navigational factors."

Said a Yucatan Express spokesperson: "The channel (to Morelos) had to be dredged and as of yet it hasn't been done making it very difficult for the ship to dock. Therefore, we are offering our passengers the option to cancel and get a full refund with a 25% discount on a future booking or to change the departure port to Progreso."

However, other reports have noted that the ship was operating at much less than full capacity, with some trips being only 25 percent full. A previous attempt to start a ferry service between Tampa and Mexico ended after only a few weeks.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Lan,
This is disappointing news, since I thought a trip on the ferry would be quite an experience. I've saved all the info on Yucatan Express. Should I visit their website to get updates?

Grace DeVita
OP Offline
When I visited their Web sites (www.yucatanexpress.com and other sites that sell the ferry) yesterday, they had not yet updated them with the new information. Assume they will sometime shortly (though marketing does not seem to be one of their strengths.)

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
eek

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
H
H
Lan,
Thanks for the info. I have a friend who was enroute to catch the ferry today (1/8) out of Puerto Morelos driving from Belize. Forwarded the info to go to Progresso. Thanks for the heads up. You may have helped avert a disaster.

Grace,
The ferry is still running to Progresso on the coast near Merida. Merida is a lovely city to visit. From Merida to Belize would not be that much farther and there is good bus service.

I agree about Merida - it's a beautiful city. The bus-ride is a bit boring, but the buses are great, and the price is right. Get the "Express" from Merida to Chetumal - if possible get the "Marco Polo" bus (the fanciest one). The bus has a bathroom, movies and a little coffee-bar at the back. The trip takes 6 hours and they stop for lunch in a place that has cold drinks and many-times re-heated food ........ in other words, bring your own lunch. The price for the ride is about $12 US.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.