Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208919 - 02/13/03 09:37 AM 8% sales tax question
tincup Offline
Can anyone explain the current 8% sales tax to me?
I have to pay this tax on new construction of a home, but I do not see it being charged in the stores for goods purchased. Is it already calculated in the price of the goods? On what goods or services can I be expected to be charged the tax?

#208920 - 02/13/03 10:48 AM Re: 8% sales tax question
Pedro1 Offline
It is only 5% and it is to be paid by you directly to the govt to cover the contractors taxes(most do not pay all their taxes).If they have fully paid their taxes for the year they will be able to claim the 5% back-therefore this is not a tax on the person building a home but it is their/your responsibility to ensure the govt receives their monies (you should withold 5% not pay and send that to the govt. not 5% extra).Also it is your responsibility that this money goes to the govt.-it is not the responsibility of the contractor which means if you pay him and he does not pay govt you are still liable.
Hope that helps.(perhaps I should write a book)
P.S.If you are clever you will only pay on the labour but you have to make sure the contract stipulates that you have bought all the materials.

#208921 - 02/14/03 10:52 AM Re: 8% sales tax question
SimonB Offline
The goods you see in stores have already had tax paid when they were processed at customs. The tax is there it's just hidden in the price.

#208922 - 02/21/03 01:50 PM Re: 8% sales tax question
ah ha!
here is the 8%/5% tax stuff.
tincup, how did you handle this?

#208923 - 02/21/03 02:58 PM Re: 8% sales tax question
tincup Offline
According to what I have read the "Sales Tax Act of 1999" requires the 8% sales tax of goods and services (per Beltraide - Investment Guide; slightly more up to date than most of the other online information sites).
My builder says the government requires the collection of the tax. Pedro 1 says it isn't so. I am still checking, but my guess is that the tax is in the law and therefore valid.

#208924 - 02/21/03 09:35 PM Re: 8% sales tax question
Pedro1 Offline
I am building a house,hostel and a couple of other projects and I know the law(why would I lie?).Perhaps you should check with people who have nothing to gain out of your lack of knowledge(this is what the message board is designed for,and is not written to be rude).I also live here have residency and deal with town and govt laws.I asked you who your builder/contractor is to no avail-waste your money if you want(it is yours to do as you wish,but do not ask questions on the board you do not want the true answers to)-all sales taxes are paid on the goods before they ever arrive on the island,and the taxes vary enormously from household to luxury goods to goods of necessity

#208925 - 02/21/03 10:26 PM Re: 8% sales tax question
tincup Offline
Wow, I should have known that was coming!
I answered the question about the builder in the "Retire in Belize" thread, where the question was asked.
Regarding the tax law, I have your interpretation (which I thank you for), that of the builder, and what I have read on the government affiliated internet sites. As yet I do not have enough information to make a totally informed decision about how I wish to proceed on this. Perhaps there is a certain amount of flex with regard to the payment of the sales tax, and this builder just chooses to pass it through to the buyer. What difference does it make if I pay it separately, or it just ends up in a higher price per square foot of construction cost?
Until I have a better understanding of the situation I would prefer not to insist that the builder is wrong and jeopardize a good working relationship. I intend to explore this further, although discretely. Thanks for your input.

#208926 - 02/21/03 10:40 PM Re: 8% sales tax question
Pedro1 Offline
OK - I may have been a little offhand but my builder assures me as does Belmopan that I only have to pay on labour.If you think about it the builder buys the commodities with your money pays sales tax (or whichever tax is applicable)and then you pay it again-this seriously is crackers,and the govt say 5% on labour -nowhere is there an 8% tax which is payable to Benny's and this has to be paid there and then or on contract(on building supplies etc. sales tax is always inclusive)

#208927 - 02/21/03 10:47 PM Re: 8% sales tax question
tincup Offline
Well, that is exactly what I intend to find out. How much is payable and on what. It would obviously benefit me to have some dialogue of my own with Belmopan. Do know anyone there that answers emails?

#208928 - 02/21/03 10:48 PM Re: 8% sales tax question
Short Offline
The producer of a good or service has to add the sales tax; restaurants produce meals, so sales tax, labour on construction is production, so sales tax, an article in a shop didn't get produced by the shop, so the sales tax has already been paid (probably by the shop owner), and it is calculated in the price, a Beliken beer has not been produced by the bar, so no sales tax.
Live and let live

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (CayeMarie, Judyann H., Pokey), 39 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,221 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.