Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#209070 - 03/27/03 01:25 AM Jobs
DanielTexas Offline
Me and a few friends are seriously considering moving to Ambergris Caye after we graduate from the University of Texas, which will be late this December. Does anyone know about finding a job on the island?

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

#209071 - 03/27/03 03:14 AM Re: Jobs
susangg Offline
None, sorry. If you want to stay in Belize for a while you will have to sustain yourself with your own money. There are not enough jobs for Belizean college graduates, and certainly none to spare for foreigners.

#209072 - 03/27/03 03:27 AM Re: Jobs
Axeman Offline
Dan...do a search on the job topic on this website...you'll find many posts on this topic...

It is possible..just depends on how creative you are...
Starting a business is the best way to do it from what I've seen...which employs the local work force..which helps Belize...
An old saying I've heard people say is "If ya want to make a million in Belize....bring 2."
Hope you go and feel the magic there...visit...talk to lots of folks.

If you go there with an honest desire to help improve the local economy I'm sure many would welcome it.

#209073 - 03/27/03 03:32 AM Re: Jobs
Ernie B Offline
Susan, You are such a bore.

#209074 - 03/27/03 05:08 AM Re: Jobs
susangg Offline
I'm a "bore?" For answering the guy's question? Maybe he doesn't like the answer (you obviously don't), but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Belize does not need young gringo college grads to take jobs away from its own young grads, most of whom are living somewhere else because they can't get a job.
I have trouble understanding how it is that someone can actually get through college and reach the point of actually considering living in another country without taking the time to do an hour's worth of research about that country's economy. That's all it would take to learn that the country cannot financially sustain fun loving young gringos looking for a bit of international living.
Look, here's the deal: If you want to live in a nice tropical developing country you gotta BYOM. That's the trade off. Foreigners are welcome as tourists and investors. We have to pay our way. Pay as you go. That's the way it is. Get over it.

#209075 - 03/27/03 05:49 AM Re: Jobs
Chloe Offline
Daniel, being a fellow Texan, I have faith in you and your friends. Do the research, and decide if all of you can come up with a business idea, that will employ Belizeans, plus support all of you. You will have to front alot of money to accomplish your goal, and be will to work long hours. You can do it, if the desire is strong enough, and willing to pay the price, for that life in Paradise.

#209076 - 03/27/03 04:34 PM Re: Jobs
ejbpesca Offline
Susangg,
I guess then this retired gringo teacher would not be welcome to teach at a Belizean school?
We have many people of other nationalities working in the States. I've never had a problem with it. I even know a Belizian who is in our Navy. No problem there either.
Is your opinion towards foreigners working there a common one? I certainly don't want to move to where I'm not wanted.
jb confused

#209077 - 03/27/03 06:40 PM Re: Jobs
govikes Offline
Whooaaaa...I think Susan is just repeating what has been said on this board a million times. Anyone serious about moving to another country needs to do some research on what they can & can't do there--just because someone spends a week's vacay there, enjoys it and decides they want to live there doesn't mean its feasible. And it's not a matter of Belizeans not wanting other nationalities there, it's a matter of them getting jobs before foreigners. We tend to forget how much our country has to offer outsiders in the way of jobs, opportunities (and yes, freebies). Belize doesn't have that to offer outsiders because they don't have that for their own people. How many times have we read the same thread...'oh I want to move to Belize next month, where can I get a job?..' All ya have to do is read some of the posts in this section and you will see the same answers every time. Okay, I'll get off my high horse. (:

#209078 - 03/27/03 07:05 PM Re: Jobs
ejbpesca Offline
I certainly do not want to take anything from anyone, but I have considered moving to Belize or rather taking an extended visit if possible. I've been down three times over 25 years for short visits. I would not have to work due to retirement income (I think),but I would consider working if something interesting came available. If this would cause any resentment amongst a majority of locals or is probhibited by my U.S. citizenship,I will not consider working at all.
But alas, I'm sure things have changed quite a bit since my last visit 23 years ago and I get the impression my gringo dollars will not go as far as I think they will or once would. Whatever the case, you have a beautiful island that I only hope to enjoy not harm in anyway and I hope I prove to be an appreciative visitor.

#209079 - 03/27/03 07:08 PM Re: Jobs
susangg Offline
People who want to do volunteer work in Belize can sometimes find such an opportunity by contacting the many non profit organizations who have projects there...several international environmental organizations (like Earthwatch for example), many religious groups (like Habitat for Humanity), etc. Such volunteer efforts are not glamorous, they are usually located in poor areas, and I would be very surprised indeed if any were on Ambergris Caye. This work is usually physical labor (like building homes) and the projects are temporary. I don't think this is what the young fellow from Texas had in mind, but if it is, he can do net searches for volunteer slots.
As for the "retired teacher," I don't know whether people who want to DONATE their services as teachers can get work permits to teach in Belize or not, but again, it would not likely be on Ambergris Caye. There are young Belizeans who can take such jobs (though they are hard to fill because the pay is so low...).

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Marty, 3 invisible), 56 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.