Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
well I need a little help. I visited AC a couple of weeks ago and fell in love. I'm thinking about coming for the summer. I have two options..
1- just come down find a cheap place to stay for 2 or 3 months and maybe a job to help me make it through the sum.
or
2- Possibly do a research project on the island dealing w/ pollution. I am a college senior and could possibly do something productive w/ the summer.
so my question is this how easy would it be for me to find some kind of job on AC- I'm a certified EMT not that it even matters I would do pretty much anything for a job just kind of looking to get away. Secondly does anyone know if the is any groups or people involved w/ any enviromental projects on the island I could get in contact with. Thanks for any help.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
An EMT might be just the thing to help get our new ambulance going. Ask Dr. Sersland.

S
OP Offline
S
How can I get in contact with Dr. Sersland?
Thanks

S
S
For volunteer work with environmental projects, recommend you try Green Reef, under "Goods & Services" above; they have an E-mail link; the President is Mito Paz. Paid work may be a problem due to labor laws and the need for a work permit. So glad you loved the island.

A volunteer will need a permit too, unless that has recently changed.

LB Offline
You must have a work permit to work or volunteer. If you are found to be doing either without a permit you can be fined, jailed, or deported. And they will do it. I know one couple that was deported because they began working before the application process was finished.
A permit costs about $700us and the application form is 10 pages long. The best thing to do is to have someone "sponsor" you. If Green Reef or the doctor wanted your services, either paid or unpaid they would have to advertise for the position in the local paper for 3 weeks. After that, IF they don't find a qualified Belizian they can apply for your permit. But I'm not sure if you pay or they do.
Oh, and if you're staying that long when you renew your visa each month you have to show proof of income or support. I think it's about $1800/month.
Maybe a month vacation would be easier.
Lacy
Caribe Island Resort

Lacy
Caribe Island Resort
M
M
You could ask the Saga Society, but I'm pretty sure it would be volunteer work. God knows, they need the help. Contact Eileen at the San Pedro Sun. She's a good woman. Tell her I asked her to give a bisquit to Pari and Mr. Muttley. She'll understand!

S
S
Lacy's correct you must have a work permit for either paid or unpaid work. If you are looking into a research project the best place to contact is the forestry department as they deal with most of the applications. Try going to www.lamanai.org and have a look at the researcher application information it may give you a better hint at what needs to be done. Otherwise just come down and relax and bring lots of partying cash.

Cheers,

Simon..

At the present moment in time there are loads of people who are working (totally illegally)without permits/residencies etc. - even some people who have replied to you did not,at one stage,have the correct paperwork,and had jobs-at the moment no-one,in authority,seems to really care(rightly or wrongly)about paperwork.
Peter

M
M
Well, it might be a good thing to find out the "right way" to do things, and do them that way, rather than accept it can be done under-the-table. It might be a little harder, but I am sure it can be done. You sound like an upfront person, so my guess is, you'll get the job done. You will probably have to start asking in Belize City, but I really don't know. Never needed to do that, as I've just visited. You might also just check with Eileen at the San Pedro Sun, she would certainly have better info that we do, and is a good soul. Good luck, your're going to do a fine job. Glad you love Belize.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 317 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.