Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
NEDiver Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I will be a summer visitor to Ambergris for July & August and am looking for an apt or room for 6-8 weeks while I work do some dive training at Ramon's dive shop.

I will be on my own (28 yr old responsible and handy postgrad student), and am looking for either the possibility of some sort of a room to rent from a local family (will give me a chance to know some people and refresh my spanish). On the other hand, I realize that this may be a bit idealistic, especially in a place that is as developed as A/C.

I am looking for something that is secure, shared bath no problem, within walking distance from Ramon's (ie, not on the N end). Cooking facilities would be great so I wouldn't have to eat out all the time. My budget is about $300-450 a month.

I've tried Mary at Caye Management already, and she doesn't have anything in my budget.

I will check things out once I hit ground in a week, but would appreciate any leads or suggestions now.

Thanks,
Louie

K
K
Originally posted by NEDiver:
Hi everyone,

I will be a summer visitor to Ambergris for July & August and am looking for an apt or room for 6-8 weeks while I work do some dive training at Ramon's dive shop.

I will be on my own (28 yr old responsible and handy postgrad student), and am looking for either the possibility of some sort of a room to rent from a local family (will give me a chance to know some people and refresh my spanish). On the other hand, I realize that this may be a bit idealistic, especially in a place that is as developed as A/C.

I am looking for something that is secure, shared bath no problem, within walking distance from Ramon's (ie, not on the N end). Cooking facilities would be great so I wouldn't have to eat out all the time. My budget is about $300-450 a month.

I've tried Mary at Caye Management already, and she doesn't have anything in my budget.

I will check things out once I hit ground in a week, but would appreciate any leads or suggestions now.

Thanks,
Louie

K
K
...being on the budget that you are:), your best bet is probably to spend maybe a night or two at a cheap hotel and just hit the beach, the park.... and ask around for a room. There are tons of rooms for rent, starting at $25 a week. Your best bet is probably to ask for a room in the air-strip area, which is close to Ramon's.( at least the way the birds fly, you will have to walk around the air-strip). You might not have the best of views,....but then again, you won't spend your whole allowance on a place to sleep either. You will get a bed, a matress of sorts, some simple furnishings, it's up to you to make it home! Bring a coffeemaker!!! San Pedro can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it, you can get a great meal for $3.00US or you can blow ten times that in one of the restaurants that cater mostly to tourists. Buy bread in the bakery, fresh fruit from a street vendor, stop by the vendors in the park for a cheap dinner, stay away from imported anything and count on eating a lot of rice and beans. And bring sheets and towels!!!!! Good luck and have a wonderful time.

Kippe, you gave great information. Very doable.

Dare To Deviate
NEDiver Offline OP
OP Offline
Kippe & Chloe,

That's good news and well below what I was willing to pay. Before I start asking everyone, do you have any recommendations on where to start? Is there a central posting area around, or can I put up a note in a community center? Just ask restaurant owners?

Louie

It's easy to make friends (be friendly) with the locals and tell everyone you meet, what you are looking for.

For your budget of $450/mo, you should be able to get a small apartment with a kitchen(ette). Though sometimes it is a bit more difficult to find a place with a commitment of less than 3 months.

Also, you can pick up the local papers like the San Pedro Sun, and they have ads for accommodations.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Originally posted by NEDiver:
Kippe & Chloe,

That's good news and well below what I was willing to pay. Before I start asking everyone, do you have any recommendations on where to start? Is there a central posting area around, or can I put up a note in a community center? Just ask restaurant owners?

Louie
Or, if you want to make arrangements before you come down here, check on Martha's Hotel. You can get a large room with private bathroom & shower and small refrig. for $275US or so. Bring your own hotplate or microwave and you have it made.

Or, if you like a hostle environment, try Pedro's Backpacker's Inn. You can get a bed for $12.50 a night. For $20 a night you get the room, bar-b-que, a cold beer and 15 minutes on the Internet.

hostle - hostel - or hostile laugh

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
K
K
You will be fine! As you can see there is many options for you. Don't fret, just get on your plane and enjoy the fact that you are going to be in San Pedro. I won't be back til end of August, or I would have been happy to show you around. do try to spend as little as you can on room though, you will find out that you will be spending very little time there and money seems to somehow find it's way out of your pocket rather quickly in San Pedro! No matter how frugal you are! Indeed!

S
S
Hello

Well, my mom has a room for rent and she also provides food. You can email me at [email protected]
and the house is in main street close to Ramon's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 359 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.