Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#210085 11/19/03 06:25 PM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'd like to know why the town council or town board can't do anything about getting the theives and thugs off the island. I just received a call today saying our house had been broken into again. This time they broke into a locked closet, then broke into a large metal lock box with heavy duty locks on it. Took everything of value again. The same thing had happened in July. That time they didn't get into the lock box. Sometimes they break in just to put graffitti on the walls. They also broke into our little guest house, with nothing of value in it, (just painted and fixed up) punctured the water bed and destroyed the inside. We've tried the caretaker thing and have gone thru (6) caretakers in five years. We pay them good money to live there free, but the only thing they did was steal from us too. My neighbor was also robbed every time we were. All of his stuff was also locked up, but they have all the time in the world to go thru your things and break into everything.
These theives live in the dump, have no job and live to rob people. After a couple of months with no proof of a job can't they deport them? These are the same ones who have robbed tourists (even at gun point) on the beach. There have been three within the last few months.
I'm about ready to sell my place and start talking on the board about this terrible (true)situation.
When the tourists or people planning to vacation in San Pedro, or buy houses or property, find out the reality of what's really happening, maybe they'll decide to go else where.

#210086 11/19/03 06:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Kathy,
I'm so sorry to hear this. There is a real problem with the thieves and thugs on the Island. My house was broken in to, (while I was sleeping), and they stole my wallet. And just last weekend, a dear friend got mugged on the way home from work. I agree that something should be done. The only thing I can tell you to do is to write letters. To Mayoress Elsa, Area Rep Junior, the Chamber, etc etc. Send copies to the newspapers.
However, in the big picture, the problem in San Pedro isn't anything compared to other Caribbean destinations. Best of luck to you.
Vicki

#210087 11/19/03 06:51 PM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Ibanhole,
I live about 1 1/2 miles South of your resort and met you last year.
That had to be scary to know someone had been there while you were asleep.
Whats going on with the South End Security or lack of it? As soon as we leave the island these theives know it and are back to get anything new.
You can't keep anything nice or of value. We even know who is doing it, but the police won't do anything, even with proof.
I will be there in Dec. and will buy a full page in the newspaper if I have to, to let everyone know whats going on.
Will drop by and see you when we're there. Will be there for 3 weeks.
Kathy

#210088 11/19/03 07:33 PM
Dont even get me started on this subject my house has been broke into 4 times and if I were to reveal the whole story it would be pages long and would make your hair curl, one guy got caught in the house and still got away with it god knows how, the system needs to be changed and the last time well lets just say would shock everyone if you knew who actually broke in.

Action needs to be taken because it is getting out of control.

Gaz Cooper

#210089 11/19/03 08:02 PM
A
A
I've been researching Ambergris/San Pedro for some time with the hope of vacationing there with a large group. After reading the posts in this thread the question begs a reply. Is this a safe place for us to come to...Will our place, lock box etc. be broken into while we are out exploring? While we would prefer a quiet villa...would that be more prone to burglery than a resort with more people about? Any input/advice etc appreciated/ AA

#210090 11/19/03 08:44 PM
the points raised are very pertinent.
1. Unfortunately there is a criminal element everywhere-here they target unoccupied private homes and appts.
If you rent a villa there is normally a caretaker provided so it is very unlikely that you will suffer a burglary.
To my knowledge every hotel has some form of security,and so it is unlikely again that you will be burglarised.
Visitors should take precautions on inviting people back to their place of residence.Also travelling with TC's is a good idea-cameras/purse left on a bar or on a table are of huge interest to the local criminal element.
To sum up be careful and you will find that this is one of the safest holiday destinations that you can visit.
One further point you will find the local drug dealers are generally not from good homes and are not honest.

#210091 11/19/03 10:06 PM
Yes, indeed Gaz, relatives of elected officials should be held to a higher standard, not a lesser one.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#210092 11/19/03 10:42 PM
This is primarily a problem for those who live on Ambergris or who have a house on the island, not so much for those who are just visitors. But it is a serious problem in all of Belize (and indeed throughout Central America). Tiefing, as they say in Kriol, is unfortunately a way of life in Belize. In my new book on living/retiring/investing in Belize, I'm devoting an entire chapter to safety and crime issues. The publisher of my last book on the subject didn't appreciate the seriousness of the problem and I had to cover the crime/burglarly issue in a few short paragraphs.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#210093 11/20/03 12:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Kathy,
We have a South end Neighborhood watch, but the problem is that most residents just don't want to get involved. We do have full time security at the Resort, and have had the same guy for several years. Butch also roams at all hours of the night, just checking things out.
I think that most of the better properties do have good security, and as far as I'm aware, there have been no issues with tourists while they are at their resorts. I'm not saying that it's not safe in San Pedro. What I will say is that I NEVER leave the resort alone at night. I NEVER walk the beach in town at night.
We (the Neighborhood Watch) have been repeatedly promised that lights would be installed, police would monitor all areas, and we were making some progress. However, I do think that the progess has been stopped.
I used to think that other areas didn't have a problem, but lately I've heard of several incidents, particularly up north.
Maybe the "tourist police" division should be notified that "tourists" are concerned about visiting Belize......
(I'll be returning on Christmas Day--- hope you will be there and stop by!! Panty rippers on me!!!!)

#210094 11/20/03 02:40 AM
I have noticed much more police activity during the last 6 months; I think they got the point.
But I do want to say that crime in Belize and on Ambergris Caye is much less than in any other average tourism destination.
Of course private (vacation) houses that are left alone for a long time will become a target.

Live and let live
#210095 11/20/03 09:16 AM
FYI

At no time was my house left alone I was living in it at the time had a full time caretaker/security so even when you take precautions it can still be an issue.

In all fairness, Short is correct we have regular Police patrols now and nothing has occured in a couple of years or so, so it is getting better but has to continue to be monitored and continue to be more proactive in policing the island for those that are here merley to tief.

Gaz

#210096 11/20/03 11:10 AM
Two words: burglar bars.

We installed them on our house on the peninsula and, though they obstruct the view, hurricane boards can be easily attached during the season if there is a threat and teefs are definitely deterred from breaking in.

#210097 11/20/03 11:52 AM
Originally posted by ibanole:
Kathy,
(I'll be returning on Christmas Day--- hope you will be there and stop by!! Panty rippers on me!!!!)
What's a Panty ripper? confused

#210098 11/20/03 12:21 PM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
In July when we were broken into the police wouldn't even come down to the house to make a report, they said it was too far out of town and their truck was broken. Go figure If they can't come out to make a report, why would they even consider patroling?

#210099 11/20/03 03:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Panty ripper.... only the BEST cocktail in the Islands!!! Coconut Rum and Pineapple Juice. Necter of the Panty Gods!!!!!!
Personally, I think Albert makes the best!
Cheerz,
Vicki

#210100 11/20/03 03:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
We actually had the hurricane shutters put on our house. They are not only good when the weather is bad, but they are also a great deterrant to thieves.
I wish we didn't have to have these kinds of conversations, but at least we aren't in DR or Jamaica where I understand crime is rampant. My friends who are visiting BZ for the first time next month are selling out of Costa Rica due to high crime there. Guess we are still the lucky ones.

#210101 11/20/03 03:39 PM
ibanole wrote ...Necter of the Panty Gods!!!!!!

Thanks i for letting me interupt the thread.

Couldn't let that one pass. Maybe I'll see you in Feb.

KCJD

#210102 11/20/03 08:31 PM
S
S
Three words: Get a dog!!! Of course that only works if you're living there full time, but a dog in the house is arguably the BEST burglar deterrent going (especially in Belize where folks (unfortunately) seem overly wary of dogs to begin with.) Police everywhere support the dog-in-your-home ='s less of a chance of break in statistic. Plus you'll get to enjoy sand in your bed, slobber and all the other joys of man's best friend!!! Unfortunately, dogs offer absolutely no added hurricane protection, in particular our 95lb lab, who hides in the bathroom at a single clap of thunder.

Another prudent investment are a few $60-from-Home-Depot motion-activated floodlights.

#210103 11/20/03 08:57 PM
We always take a dog when we go down and he's very effective at letting us know when people are around even though we keep him in the house mostly. Also we've always had the motion detector lights. No substitute for the bars.

#210104 11/20/03 09:42 PM
B
B
Originally posted by kathyw:
I'd like to know why the town council or town board can't do anything about getting the theives and thugs off the island. I just received a call today saying our house had been broken into again. This time they broke into a locked closet, then broke into a large metal lock box with heavy duty locks on it. Took everything of value again. The same thing had happened in July. That time they didn't get into the lock box. Sometimes they break in just to put graffitti on the walls. They also broke into our little guest house, with nothing of value in it, (just painted and fixed up) punctured the water bed and destroyed the inside. We've tried the caretaker thing and have gone thru (6) caretakers in five years. We pay them good money to live there free, but the only thing they did was steal from us too. My neighbor was also robbed every time we were. All of his stuff was also locked up, but they have all the time in the world to go thru your things and break into everything.
These theives live in the dump, have no job and live to rob people. After a couple of months with no proof of a job can't they deport them? These are the same ones who have robbed tourists (even at gun point) on the beach. There have been three within the last few months.
I'm about ready to sell my place and start talking on the board about this terrible (true)situation.
When the tourists or people planning to vacation in San Pedro, or buy houses or property, find out the reality of what's really happening, maybe they'll decide to go else where.

#210105 11/20/03 09:54 PM
B
B
sorry (and about the thieves), it's strange how some people seem to accept (or even seek to blame the victim), for this behaviour... I would have thought that an island would be especially secure... (visiting dec-feb) /:b

#210106 11/21/03 01:28 AM
Vicki, You must not have had Dee O Gee with you? I'm sure he would have ripped the arms off a thief. Love you too.

#210107 11/21/03 05:07 PM
I remember there runs around 2 years ago a
application for a private security guard only south of the cut.
The Gov. disagree.
Maybe there is a reason, no one like to controll the south (exept private solo person)and the permit was no given.

#210108 11/21/03 06:31 PM
Solution: Privatize Ambergris Caye.

Gone fishing!!
#210109 11/21/03 09:57 PM
J
J
Dogs are the best protection,mine sense danger and will attack, so any thieves will be bloody if they dare try to break in!!!

#210110 11/22/03 12:22 PM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Like I've said before, we know who's doing this. They live at the dump, with no jobs. They've been there for the last two years. Until the town of San Pedro decides its time to do something with these guys, they will keep robbing and theiving and ruining tourisim. The police pretend they don't know who we're talking about.
I know the government has some rule about deportation from the island because they are citizens, but when your only means of support is robbing, its time to get rid of them.

#210111 11/24/03 12:38 AM
Gosh Kathy, sorry to hear the news...
also sorry we missed meeting you at Caribe Island when I had my little problem with the ribs!
If you want some names of "other caretakers" that may work out a bit better send me an e-mail.
This does not just happen to gringos... it happens to locals too if they know the schedules of those folks as well...
Hope all works out somehow!

#210112 11/24/03 09:23 AM
H
H
get a dog!! [Linked Image]

#210113 11/24/03 09:30 AM
If the people aren't there fulltime and they can't get reliable caretaker help, who's gonna take care of the dog when no one is in residence??? A dog expects and deserves to be fed, watered and cared for while it's doing its job!!!

#210114 11/24/03 12:02 PM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
When I had a caretaker I did get a dog. I bought 50 pounds of dog food when I left, and gave the caretaker directions on feeding. (they think a dog can forage for himself) I later found out the caretaker sold the dog. That ended that.

#210115 11/24/03 12:13 PM
That dog looks like he had one heck of a fun day, look at that smile smile

It's so horrible to even think of the theft, it must make you feel so violated. I only had a car theft once, that was enough.

We intend to build, just before we go there for your reason above, KathyW. It must be so difficult being an absent owner.

With time, it will be better, but never good. I feel for youu.

#210116 11/24/03 12:36 PM
Obviously a retriever. Unless the teefs look like dead waterfowl, I doubt it would be very effective as a threat!!

#210117 11/24/03 02:27 PM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hope,
Yes sorry we missed each other. How are the ribs by the way? On our last trip we were in our golf cart on the way to town, as I lifted my hand to take a sip of my drink (panty ripper) my husband made a quick left turn without telling me and I flew out of the cart onto the dirt road. Its a good thing I had a few of those drinks in me, because I was pretty limber when I hit that dirt. Lots of black and blue marks, but thank goodness no broken bones. My neighbor was in the cart behind us and saw the whole thing. Its pretty funny now, but at the time it was really embarrassing.
We have decided to go with the caretaker route again and would like some good reccomendations. I don't have your E-Mail?
Thank You
Kathy

#210118 11/24/03 03:35 PM
C
C
Hire a husband & wife team. And stay away from crackheads.

#210119 11/26/03 12:01 PM
K
KB Offline
K
To KathyW and anyone else interested - we also have a house on the south end of the island. It was broken into on Friday Nov. 21. The culprit was selling our personal items (clothes, toiletries) had has been caught and is currently in jail. Several items have been picked up by the police. You might want to call and see if any of your stuff is included. At least they caught the guy so one more bad guy off the street. We have buglar bars on our glass windows but he went in via one with wooden shutters - will have to bar that window too. Live and learn. KB

#210120 11/26/03 12:31 PM
Good deal, KB!! We also jailed our thief and testified against him in the trial which put him out of action for a couple of years. It's very helpful, and perhaps inconvenient for you, to follow all the way through the process. Any dropping of "primary witnesses (you)" could let him walk.

#210121 11/26/03 12:52 PM
*I caught a burglar on Monday night and called and handed him to the police-he was released(not in my presence) as he was 15 yrs old and a minor-I have subsequently filed charges against him but the police will not even tell me his name(I had to call an inspector in Belize City to get this far)

#210122 11/26/03 01:40 PM
as a gringo and ,san pedro want to be ,I think the way they did things in the ny city years back might be helpful .no#1crime a warning and a beating,next time five shots to the head ,and a bed with the fishes ,,we never had any third time crooks ????? sounds crazy well it work for years .not me a man of peace ,but ship does happen .. some times you have to do what you need to do because there is no other way ???????not me, but a fact of life kissing a thief butt just sends the wrong message.kicking it hits home .

Living The Dream Every Day!
#210123 11/29/03 08:14 AM
I feel as though we should not have to have caretakers and dogs if we want our property protected. This is what the police are for, this current rash of breakins is getting worse than ever, the past was never this bad.
If we are forced into dogs and caretakers, so be it but the main problem is still enforcement by the police. It is a rare occasion that the police come this far south, or north for that matter. When they do come they have four or more riding as if it a joyride instead of a patrol mission. We need more constant presence of police.

1bzman
#210124 11/29/03 10:35 AM
What you've described fits perfectly with the nature of law enforcement on the Latin American frontiers. Try telling the policemen what their job description is and how they should act; then see how that helps their attitude and, consequently, the situation. They are undertrained and underfunded and ultimately a product of how much they are paid. The last part about the pay would suggest that if you contribute to the policemen's livlihood financially you might be able to expect special treatment by them which, of course by our standards, is in direct conflict with the theoretical character of what a public servant is.

#210125 11/29/03 11:41 AM
C
C
Sharp up your machete and DIY

#210126 11/29/03 05:46 PM
Mikes, when you leave a property alone and unprotected for a longer part of the year, it will be broken into. This is the case in the US, the rest of the world, and in Belize.

Don't confuse the police with a security firm, because they aren't, not here, not in the US not anywhere. It's like blaming the fire department for fire.

I am not saying that the police is perfect over here, but they are far from untrained, Ckocain, and the best we've got. I'm wondering whether "the theoretical character of a public servant" is a reality, over there, where your standards are from.

Live and let live
#210127 11/29/03 06:40 PM
<They are undertrained and underfunded and ultimately a product of how much they are paid.>

Didn't say "untrained."

Public service in any society suggests, at least, or demands that the public be served by an employee who is paid with public funds i.e. tax revenue set up for the purpose of paying public servants. If the heart and mind of the employee isn't into the spirit of his or her job for the sake of the job, the money from such employment won't compensate. And I don't need to tell you, I'm sure, that lots of public employees here and everywhere leave lots to be desired as far as job performance goes.

#210128 11/30/03 12:34 AM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
KB,
Are you Karen, who lives just South of Bruce's?
If so, we stopped by your house in July and shut one of your doors. (at the screened in porch) Must meet up some time.
Kathy

#210129 11/30/03 12:56 AM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Mikes,
When we left in July, we were on the pier waiting for the boat to pick us up when I saw something move in the back yard. I went to see what it was and there were two boys looking in the back windows. They said they were looking for water. Yeah. We hadn't even left the dock. So when they say you can expect to have your place broken into when leaving it vacant for a time, thats hog wash. You can expect to get it broken into every time you leave, whether it be into town or even out in the boat for half a day.
When I shut and lock the door, what makes it their right to break into my house and take my things, just because a few of them are too lazy to work. We pay our taxes just like every one else in Belize and get nothing for it. If the police don't care because they feel they aren't paid enough, then the town needs to do something about it.

#210130 11/30/03 03:53 AM
C
C
But your not in the town.

#210131 11/30/03 07:08 AM
For what it's worth - San Pedro Town limits extend from southern tip of the island to someplace just south of Robles.

#210132 11/30/03 08:37 AM
I do not expect the police to cater to my home only or do I expect any extra attention. What I am saying is that right now there is a crime wave of sorts with the extrordinary amount of breakins and thefts on the entire island, not just in the south but north of the cut as well in the center of town.
This is what upsets me, is all the more than usual amount of thefts. Seems like when Aron Guzmann was here things were a little more under control.

1bzman
#210133 11/30/03 09:52 AM
L
L
We too had a recent breakin at the south end. Fortunatly we had just installed an alarm system which apparently foiled them and we did not have anything taken this time. Totally agree the town has to address this problem. It is extremely frustrating. Have even had the orchids stolen off my trees, only to find them peddling them in town!

R.B. Mernitz
#210134 11/30/03 11:17 PM
How disheartening to read of this on-going crime. How hard could it be to round up these bums on a small Island. Sounds like the police and politicians really don't care, if they did, something would be done. It would take some like Rudy Giuliani about 2 weeks to clean up the relatively few bums on this Island. Sure there is crime everywhere, its not unique to Belize. What seems to be unique is the "ho-hum" attitude of the police. When the trip south is to far for them to go to complete a "Report of Theft" that tells you something. Reminds me of a break-in in Consejo. Thieves broke in a home while family was sleeping. Owner awakes, chases thieves, calls police in Corozal, their response, "we don't have enough gas in the car." Distance only 7 miles. Talk about the Keystone Cops.

gforrest.imageculture.com
#210135 12/01/03 11:41 AM
K
KB Offline
K
Hey KathyW,

No...our house is just south of Chris and Jo from Sailsport (on the beach just past the road to the dump) and we don't have a screened in porch.

I have also had baby palm trees stolen which is a bummer when you're trying to get some landscaping done. I have seen guys riding on the road with small palms in plastic bags and I wonder who's trees they are!

I know the police have no money but they are well aware that the theft problem is becomeing exactly that....a problem. They are trying to step up their presence in the south end. After our last breakin - last spring - we did see them several times driving by to check on the house. The guy who robbed our house was a stranger to the island. As tourism grows and more expats with money build on the island it is natural that petty theft will follow. Refugees from Guatamaula and Honduras as well as poor folks from the mainland and the island will take advantage of the opportunity to make a quick buck. It will take some time for the local police and gov't to learn how to handle it but they are well aware what is at stake!

#210136 12/12/03 02:09 PM
Bee Offline
Hello KathyW.

I read your post on thieves and such and wanted to reply to you. I am going to be attending the Ambergris Caye Medical School of the Americas starting this January and was wondering if you are currently looking for a house sitter. I will be there for twenty months and be in Dallas, TX only about three weeks every four months. I, of course, could sit for free providing that I could stay there the entire time. I realize this could be an inconvenience when you wish to visit but it's worth asking.

I love animals (except birds), so I would not mind taking care of dog(s) while you're away as long as we could arrange for something when I visit home (Dallas) between semesters. I am also a health nut, non-smoker who has an apartment and a fiancé in downtown Dallas. I am also a black belt but I am so small that I avoid any avoidable physical contact but I have successfully participated in several fighting competitions.

Again, this is just an idea. Email me through this board if you are interested or want any more info. You may lose some perks of getting a paid caretaker but you would have a trust worthy person that will just study all the time anyhow.

#210137 12/13/03 04:05 AM
bee...do you have family in covington, louisiana???if you do, i believe you may be mike's daughter....could that be possible? confused

#210138 12/13/03 08:25 PM
Bee Offline
Kerry,
No, I'm originally from Michigan. After graduating from college, I moved to Dallas because of an employment opportunity for my fiancé. Sorry.

#210139 12/14/03 02:20 AM
bee....someone i know thru work was telling me his daughter was moving to belize for about the same amount of time as you, in january....also in school...just thought maybe it might be you....i will be moving myself in june, and he was going to give her my e-mail, to where we could get together down there....good luck to you, and have a wonderful time....later kerry

#210140 12/14/03 01:50 PM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi Bee,
We would like to talk to you in regards to your questions. When will you be on the island? We're leaving on Wed. and returning on Jan. 8th. I don't have an e-mail add. for you or telephone #. The web site you listed doesn't work. Maybe you can have Marty E-Mail it to me.
Thank you for your inquiry.
Kathy

#210141 12/14/03 03:47 PM
Bee Offline
KathyW,
Hello again Kathy. I just requested that Marty send you my email address. I am planning on getting to the island on Jan. 11th because our orientation is on the 12th but I haven't gotten my ticket yet. Bye for now.

#210142 12/14/03 03:53 PM
Bee Offline
Kerry,
Besides the obvious reasons that someone would want to go to the island what are your plans? How long are you going to be there? Are you going to be a student too?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.