Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#210085 - 11/20/03 12:25 AM thieves
kathyw Offline
I'd like to know why the town council or town board can't do anything about getting the theives and thugs off the island. I just received a call today saying our house had been broken into again. This time they broke into a locked closet, then broke into a large metal lock box with heavy duty locks on it. Took everything of value again. The same thing had happened in July. That time they didn't get into the lock box. Sometimes they break in just to put graffitti on the walls. They also broke into our little guest house, with nothing of value in it, (just painted and fixed up) punctured the water bed and destroyed the inside. We've tried the caretaker thing and have gone thru (6) caretakers in five years. We pay them good money to live there free, but the only thing they did was steal from us too. My neighbor was also robbed every time we were. All of his stuff was also locked up, but they have all the time in the world to go thru your things and break into everything.
These theives live in the dump, have no job and live to rob people. After a couple of months with no proof of a job can't they deport them? These are the same ones who have robbed tourists (even at gun point) on the beach. There have been three within the last few months.
I'm about ready to sell my place and start talking on the board about this terrible (true)situation.
When the tourists or people planning to vacation in San Pedro, or buy houses or property, find out the reality of what's really happening, maybe they'll decide to go else where.

#210086 - 11/20/03 12:40 AM Re: thieves
Anonymous
Kathy,
I'm so sorry to hear this. There is a real problem with the thieves and thugs on the Island. My house was broken in to, (while I was sleeping), and they stole my wallet. And just last weekend, a dear friend got mugged on the way home from work. I agree that something should be done. The only thing I can tell you to do is to write letters. To Mayoress Elsa, Area Rep Junior, the Chamber, etc etc. Send copies to the newspapers.
However, in the big picture, the problem in San Pedro isn't anything compared to other Caribbean destinations. Best of luck to you.
Vicki

#210087 - 11/20/03 12:51 AM Re: thieves
kathyw Offline
Ibanhole,
I live about 1 1/2 miles South of your resort and met you last year.
That had to be scary to know someone had been there while you were asleep.
Whats going on with the South End Security or lack of it? As soon as we leave the island these theives know it and are back to get anything new.
You can't keep anything nice or of value. We even know who is doing it, but the police won't do anything, even with proof.
I will be there in Dec. and will buy a full page in the newspaper if I have to, to let everyone know whats going on.
Will drop by and see you when we're there. Will be there for 3 weeks.
Kathy

#210088 - 11/20/03 01:33 AM Re: thieves
Gaz Cooper Offline
Dont even get me started on this subject my house has been broke into 4 times and if I were to reveal the whole story it would be pages long and would make your hair curl, one guy got caught in the house and still got away with it god knows how, the system needs to be changed and the last time well lets just say would shock everyone if you knew who actually broke in.

Action needs to be taken because it is getting out of control.

Gaz Cooper

#210089 - 11/20/03 02:02 AM Re: thieves
alke ach Offline
I've been researching Ambergris/San Pedro for some time with the hope of vacationing there with a large group. After reading the posts in this thread the question begs a reply. Is this a safe place for us to come to...Will our place, lock box etc. be broken into while we are out exploring? While we would prefer a quiet villa...would that be more prone to burglery than a resort with more people about? Any input/advice etc appreciated/ AA

#210090 - 11/20/03 02:44 AM Re: thieves
Pedro1 Offline
the points raised are very pertinent.
1. Unfortunately there is a criminal element everywhere-here they target unoccupied private homes and appts.
If you rent a villa there is normally a caretaker provided so it is very unlikely that you will suffer a burglary.
To my knowledge every hotel has some form of security,and so it is unlikely again that you will be burglarised.
Visitors should take precautions on inviting people back to their place of residence.Also travelling with TC's is a good idea-cameras/purse left on a bar or on a table are of huge interest to the local criminal element.
To sum up be careful and you will find that this is one of the safest holiday destinations that you can visit.
One further point you will find the local drug dealers are generally not from good homes and are not honest.

#210091 - 11/20/03 04:06 AM Re: thieves
seashell Offline
Yes, indeed Gaz, relatives of elected officials should be held to a higher standard, not a lesser one.

#210092 - 11/20/03 04:42 AM Re: thieves
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
This is primarily a problem for those who live on Ambergris or who have a house on the island, not so much for those who are just visitors. But it is a serious problem in all of Belize (and indeed throughout Central America). Tiefing, as they say in Kriol, is unfortunately a way of life in Belize. In my new book on living/retiring/investing in Belize, I'm devoting an entire chapter to safety and crime issues. The publisher of my last book on the subject didn't appreciate the seriousness of the problem and I had to cover the crime/burglarly issue in a few short paragraphs.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

#210093 - 11/20/03 06:39 AM Re: thieves
Anonymous
Kathy,
We have a South end Neighborhood watch, but the problem is that most residents just don't want to get involved. We do have full time security at the Resort, and have had the same guy for several years. Butch also roams at all hours of the night, just checking things out.
I think that most of the better properties do have good security, and as far as I'm aware, there have been no issues with tourists while they are at their resorts. I'm not saying that it's not safe in San Pedro. What I will say is that I NEVER leave the resort alone at night. I NEVER walk the beach in town at night.
We (the Neighborhood Watch) have been repeatedly promised that lights would be installed, police would monitor all areas, and we were making some progress. However, I do think that the progess has been stopped.
I used to think that other areas didn't have a problem, but lately I've heard of several incidents, particularly up north.
Maybe the "tourist police" division should be notified that "tourists" are concerned about visiting Belize......
(I'll be returning on Christmas Day--- hope you will be there and stop by!! Panty rippers on me!!!!)

#210094 - 11/20/03 08:40 AM Re: thieves
Short Offline
I have noticed much more police activity during the last 6 months; I think they got the point.
But I do want to say that crime in Belize and on Ambergris Caye is much less than in any other average tourism destination.
Of course private (vacation) houses that are left alone for a long time will become a target.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,056 Topics
462,284 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.