Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
L
luathas Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am a Licensed Practical Nurse, and I'm trying to find out--- (1)How I can get a nursing license in Belize. (2)Can I work if I've only 'applied' for a work permit. (3)If I have to wait on permit, how long? (4)Can I bring my car, a 1997 Taurus in and not get charged a lot of money. (5)Can you live there and not have to take malaria drugs the rest of your life. How deadly is 'your' form of the disease, anyway? I know you can gain immunity to it eventually.

alan eggleston
L
L
Where will you be living in Belize? The question of malaria would depend on your location. In San Pedro that would not be much of an issue. You will have to appy for a work permit and licensing thru the government. No you cannot work if you have "applied",only after your license and work permit have final approval. This can take anywhere from 6wks. to 6yrs. So don't expect to go to work immediatly. You will get charged a considerable amount of duty on a vehicle. If you are thinking of taking it to S.P. that also requires additional permits and they don't really want cars.

R.B. Mernitz
L
luathas Offline OP
OP Offline
L
That's another question. I don't know where to live there. I hear some places are cheap, but I don't know where the work is. I'm a 51 yo guy with an 18 yo daughter and a little dog. To tell the truth, they say next year they are starting a military draft in the USA, and will draft men and women 18-26, regardless of their situation. I'll walk down there before I let my daughter be a mercenary for a corrupt government....

alan eggleston
E
E
Try Canada.

L
luathas Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Actually, they've got it rigged for Canada. They will extradite you. Forgot to mention I'm a pro-guitarist and moved to Tulsa Oklahoma from Nashville, and played at the Grand Ol' Opry regluarly, and all the clubs in Nashville. (not trying to sound like a bigshot here, just telling the truth) I wonder if I could play there till I got a work permit, and if I'd make enough to live on. Can play anything....

alan eggleston
S
S
Music gigs require a work permit, as does any type of work, even as a volunteer without pay.

L
luathas Offline OP
OP Offline
L
That must be the only place in the world, then. Even Nashville doesn't care if you're in the union, and nobody reports their income. I'm sure some people work 'under the table'....But on the other hand, I'm not driving 2300 miles to find out we'll starve, either.

alan eggleston
Sounds like you need to come down and check out Belize for a few weeks before you pull up roots in the States. Anything is possible down here, but you might not even like the place, living here is great but its not for everyone.

Reality..What a concept!
L
luathas Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm a tough old fart, I jog 3-4 miles in the Oklahoma heat, (95-100), and don't mind roughing it. My daughter might whine a little, though. That would be great to come down and check it out, but I don't know if I can afford it. Really, I don't like the american lifestyle, with such a focus on money and 'things'. I think there's more important things in life. Are there really places you can stay for $10 a day? I hear you can pick your own herbs. (I don't mean pot, haha).

alan eggleston
Just what Belize doesn't need. Somebody who doesn't report their income in the States, wants to come here and "work under the table" against the Belize law taking a job from a Belizean and who wants to get his off spring out of the country so they do not have to serve in the military. We do need a place for these kind of people to go to. Look at the brighter side. Britain sent it's criminals and undesireables to Australia and it didn't turn out too bad. Maybe space exploration will have it's benefits. frown

PS: now don't get me wrong. If luathas has some principles and is going to give up his citizenship and make the move, then at least he stands for something. On the other hand, if he just wants to pick and choose what he takes and gives to his country, then he doesn't deserve any country and no country deserves him.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.