Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#210843 - 10/07/04 06:11 PM cost of living in Belize ??
Neil W Offline
I have been looking for a place to move to from canada where its getting to be winter again .I am a retired auto parts person and dont live fancy ( just like most blue collar auto parts people )I have an income of $2,500 us per month and am wondering what kind of life style this would afford me .I could live like a king in Mexico but would not have the beauty of Belize.
I have always dreamed of going to Belize but since the discount flights have been To Cancum I have only gotten that far .
Neil w

#210844 - 10/07/04 07:54 PM Re: cost of living in Belize ??
streetchie Offline
I spent about $3,000 u.s. per month a few years back, but that was for my wife and I. We had a great little house (rented) about a block from the water just south of San Pedro. We ate well (usually out) and had all of the comforts of home. AC, cable, telephone including long distance and a little partying here and there. Some days we would go exploring and others relax. We stayed for a year and have always considered making the move permanent. Grandkids have gotten in the way these days, but they won't be kids forever. =)

#210845 - 10/07/04 09:14 PM Re: cost of living in Belize ??
jacquesv Offline
The amounts above are pretty accurate. The cost of living here varies more to how much you drink and eat out than anything else.
You mentioned you are retiring from "auto parts". You wouldn't happen to be interested in a opening a small auto parts store since we do not have one. If you are interested, contact the Chamber of Commerce at dolphin@btl.net

#210846 - 10/08/04 12:15 AM Re: cost of living in Belize ??
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
There are several costs of living in Belize, depending on what lifestyle you want. That's the case anywhere, of course, but perhaps more so in Belize. Also, there's a tremendous difference in costs depending on where you are in the country. If San Pedro and Belize City are New York or L.A., then Corozal or rural areas of Orange Walk or Cayo are like Arkansas or Kansas in relative costs.

I know couples who live pretty well in Corozal for US$1,200 a month or less, and some in San Pedro who can't get by on $5,000 a month.

Costs of living in Mexico vary tremendously, too.

--Lan Sluder

#210847 - 10/08/04 02:28 AM Re: cost of living in Belize ??
SP Daily Offline
I do fine on US$1,000 a month in San Pedro... but my house is paid for, and I'm not a partier.

#210848 - 10/09/04 12:25 AM Re: cost of living in Belize ??
silkpainter Offline
I must only be seeing you during happy hour, Jesse. I live on Caye Caulker and do very well on $1,000 U.S. a month (but who's counting?) I'm less of a partier than Jesse, but I lease my house. Singularly the highest cost is iported imported. If you like to eat rice-n-beans and stewed chicken, corn tortillas and beans, beans and eggs, beans and beans, you can get by on a lot less. I take the water taxi to Belize City almost every week to do my major shopping. Its worth the cost of the 35 bzd ticket. I think, unless you're a total alcoholic, or need to eat prime beef evey day, $2500 U.S. a month for a single person should be way way way enough.

#210849 - 10/09/04 01:24 AM Re: cost of living in Belize ??
SP Daily Offline
Yup, only happy hour rum drinks at US$1 each...and local food ingredients but I can prepare them any way I like. US$ 1000 is plenty.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (dabunk, IGAmel), 45 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,075 Topics
462,351 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.