Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211792 - 07/13/05 07:13 PM Just Back from Panama
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Just back from Panama, scouting what the country offers for retirees and relocatees, and especially comparing what Panama and Belize are doing.

Of course there are several sides to every story, but overall I was much more favorably impressed with what Panama offers than I expected to be.

It was an excellent trip, and I was knocked out by Boquete and other parts of the Chiriqui Highlands about 300 miles west of Panama City.

The country around Boquete is beautiful, with mountains up to about 11,000 feet and most homes and farms at about 3000 to 6000 feet, an "eternal spring" climate, coffee plantations and organic farms everywhere, few if any mosquitoes, and cheap prices.

I also enjoyed Panama City, El Valle about an hour and a half west of Panama City, and the Pacific coast of Cocle, where the beaches are very nice and with very little development.

I didn't care for Colon and while Panama City is impressive, with a big-city skyline and more than a million people, great and inexpensive restaurants, beautiful shopping malls, and overall very affordable -- living costs are probably one-third of those in a U.S. large city and less than in Belize City -- I don't think I'd want to live there.

Grocery store prices in Boquete and all over Panama are generally lower than in the U.S. and usually half of what you'd pay in Belize, gas about the same as the U.S. and about half that in Belize (I drove a Nissan Patrol diesel 4WD and paid about US$2.15 a gallon at most stations, and premium gas was never more than US$2.40). Produce prices in the markets are dirt cheap. You can buy a huge bag of navel oranges for a couple of bucks.

Panama has the best roads in Central America, and even in the mountains most of the roads are excellent. The Inter-American highway is partly four-lane, and the expressways around Panama City are first-rate divided highways (some are toll).

Booze and beer about one-third to one-half less than in the U.S. (even in small towns a liter of Stoli or Johnny Walker Red goes for US$12 to $14 and local beers are US$2.20 to $2.50 a six-pack), compared to US$6 in Belize, a big hamberguesa con queso and a mango smoothie at Java Juice in Boquete is US$1.75, a steak dinner at the best restaurant in Boquete is US$12, beer is 75 cents to a dollar in nice restaurants, and home building costs to North American standards are around US$40 to $55 a square foot. Boquete is only half an hour from David, the second largest city in Panama (about the same size as Belize City).

Panama offers good medical care, friendly people, most of the country is clean and well-kept, and you can drink the water almost everywhere. Panama's pensionado program is one of the best in the world, requiring only US$500 to $750 a month income and providing some real discounts and benefits for retirees.

The big difference in Panama is that the government actively is seeking retirees and the incomes they bring rather than driving them away, as the Belize government seems to be doing with its 15% property surcharge and other taxes and restrictions.

I think Panama also compares very favorably with Costa Rica. It is more like the Costa Rica I used to know 20 years ago than the Costa Rica of today, with its million tourists and Florida-level prices.

On the flip side, you absolutely need decent Spanish to get by -- I know I'd have to spend quite a bit of time getting mine up to speed -- and land costs in the Chiriqui Highlands are a little higher than I expected (though elsewhere in Panama prices are low, certainly far lower than in Costa Rica or most of Belize).

Unfortunately I did not get to visit Bocas del Toro this trip, the area on the Caribbean Coast to which a number of former Belize expats have moved.
I also didn't get to Isla de Cohiba in the Pacific, about which many Panamanians rave.

More later.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Living Abroad in Belize -- out from Avalon probably next month

#211793 - 07/13/05 07:56 PM Re: Just Back from Panama
SimonB Offline
Not sure what this has to do with Belize other than to try and direct business from Belize to Panama? Is there a Panama First in the works?

#211794 - 07/13/05 08:43 PM Re: Just Back from Panama
streetchie Offline
Lan, I've been several times along both coasts and it IS a beautiful place. Bocas is worth a look next time you're down, it's getting pricey though. Also, buying legally titled land is not as easy as one may think. Like Belize, sharks abound!

#211795 - 07/13/05 09:58 PM Re: Just Back from Panama
Simon, It has nothing much to do with Belize, other than perhaps giving those who are looking at various destinations for retirement or relocation a little additional perspective on more than one area.

Streetchie, I did figure out there are some sharks in Panama, as in Belize. I suspect there are at least a few in Boquete.

--Lan Sluder

#211796 - 07/13/05 10:28 PM Re: Just Back from Panama
LaurieMar Offline
Lan: This post definitely interested me, as I am headed for my first visit to Panama in November. Going to Bocas from Costa Rica. Cannot wait!

#211797 - 07/15/05 12:04 PM Re: Just Back from Panama
Now Danny Offline
Thanks Lan for the report. It's nice you take the time to share your adventures. cool

#211798 - 07/15/05 04:45 PM Re: Just Back from Panama
itsjustme Offline
Lan,

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I am curious as to whether or not you have spent any time in the Bay Islands of Honduras? We are spending a couple of weeks there at the end of july and are going to look at some property while we are there. We are staying on Utila and are particularly interested in any thoughts you might have about Utila and/or Guanaja. Thanks in advance.

#211799 - 07/15/05 09:00 PM Re: Just Back from Panama
I know Roatan only slightly, Utila and Guanaja not at all. Frankly, Honduras scares me a little. Roatan is beautiful, though. There are a few Honduras mailing lists and newsgroups with knowledgeable people.

--Lan Sluder

#211800 - 07/15/05 10:43 PM Re: Just Back from Panama
NAZ MAN Offline
I almost bought a condo on the island o f Guanaja
but then found ac in belize . This is what My research generated: yes,Roatan & Guanaja are beautiful but Lan Sluder is right, it is scary because you better know spanish well, real estate contracts can be a little shaky & the Gov. could seize your prop. in hard times. Roatan has a high
crime rate , due partly to mainlanders coming over on the ferry ! Guanaja has no roads at all, strictly boat taxi. Squatters can take your prop.
away from you ! No SEE UMS can be really bad! Other than that , its paradise, you decide. Panama
is nice but on the pacific beach side, the sand is
black !! Belize has alot going for it ! Sorry to sound so negative !!

#211801 - 07/16/05 01:56 AM Re: Just Back from Panama
sandb Offline
Thanks for the informative report.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,303 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.