Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#212169 - 11/01/05 08:56 PM work as a divemaster
smilefaas Offline
How do you go about applying for a position as a divemaster in belize. I used to live there (noncitizen)and am hoping to go back. Visas, lisences, job postings for the dive dommunity?

#212170 - 11/01/05 09:33 PM Re: work as a divemaster
WhiteWater Offline
Here's just one of the many threads that talk about moving to and/or working in Belize:

http://ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/000181.html

#212171 - 11/01/05 10:23 PM Re: work as a divemaster
SP Daily Offline
This is an old thread that doesn't make much sense today.

#212172 - 11/01/05 11:09 PM Re: work as a divemaster
WhiteWater Offline
LOL...Justine and I have to get a separate login or people will start to think we are even crazier that we really are....

Anyways, while possibly a bit dated, I do think there is some valid data in that thread about moving to Belize and wanting to work as divemaster, captain, guide, waiter/waitress, bartender, room cleaner, ect. Granted it's not the most to-the-point, but it does list some information (as well as showing a newcomer an interesing view into the interactions between "ex-pat locals" lol)

Jesse - you are usually quick with the information or link that 'will' help, but I'm sure you are probably busy.

Smilefaas - before one of our less cordial members flames you, basically most of the non-skilled labor jobs or guiding/tourism work (as I hate to put divemaster in non-skilled labor!) is reserved for natives and/or residents. It is VERY difficult, if not impossible to move here and get one of these positions. You would be better off looking for work in a field that is more specialized or opening your own business (still very difficult, but boardering on the possible range given a good idea, hard work, and enough green stuff to begin with).

Hope that helps you at least a little bit.

~ Whitewater (a.k.a. MJ)

#212173 - 11/01/05 11:21 PM Re: work as a divemaster
SimonB Offline
Basically what it comes down to is that you need a tour guide license to become a Divemaster. As a non-belizean the likelihood of getting one is slim to none. Your best bet is to become a citizen, which will take at least 6 years (1 year for residency, 5 more for citizenship.) Sorry but you can't sugar coat it.

#212174 - 11/01/05 11:36 PM Re: work as a divemaster
WhiteWater Offline
I'm surprised to hear this thread doesn't make sense now. I thought, even with the age of the thread, that the general assertions held true.

smilefaas, sorry to steer you incorrectly.

~ww/justine

#212175 - 11/02/05 03:46 PM Re: work as a divemaster
Amanda Syme Offline
Obviously WhiteWater has never taken a divemaster course. To even intimate that it is "unskilled labour" is outrageous. My DM course was one of the most arduous things I ever did in life.

Maybe you need to take a quick tour guide course. Such courses include first aid, cpr, basic physics as well as a working knowledge of the history of Belize, the geography of Belize and more than basic knowledge of flora and fauna.

#212176 - 11/02/05 05:16 PM Re: work as a divemaster
Wittsend Offline
LOL...whoa there Amanda. What I wrote is that it is NOT unskilled labor:

"basically most of the non-skilled labor jobs or guiding/tourism work (as I hate to put divemaster in non-skilled labor!) "

Reading the above, you will see that I placed guiding/tourism, and specifically divemaster outside of the 'unskilled labor' catagory.

Whitewater (as in the 'MJ' half now posting under my new handle as Justine won't let me use hers anymore :grin smile HAS taken a divemaster course. I've been a professional working divemaster on instructor for a number of years on diveboats and other places.

I totally agree with you that divemaster is a skilled position that takes a very capable, knowledgable person to do it correctly.

All that aside, Simon is as usual correct and to the point, in that you need a guide lisence in Belize.

~ MJ

#212177 - 11/02/05 09:40 PM Re: work as a divemaster
Amanda Syme Offline
I love your new handle - Wittsend. laugh laugh laugh

Of course I read your post wrong - normally I am so good at multi-tasking. Don't know what came over me today.

Anyhoo, I'm glad that you know what I was saying, divemaster/instructor/tour guiding is tough work when you can get it.

Big Apologies!!!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 95 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.