Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212600 - 12/25/05 06:19 PM Do all children go to school?
Moon Offline
We just got back a week ago from San Pedro and while we saw some children in school uniforms practicing for the Christmas pageant, there were other younger children selling jewellery on the beach, aged about 7-10 years old, and I was wondering whether there was "free" education available to all, or whether schooling had to be paid for.

From reading a couple of other threads here, people have been discussing a private school, but I just wondered if every child is guaranteed an education, in San Pedro and also on the mainland. It didn't occur to me originally that these young kids should have been in school, I thought they must be out on Christmas holiday from school.... maybe they were, just had different school holidays from the other kids I saw in uniforms.

#212601 - 12/25/05 07:19 PM Re: Do all children go to school?
dabunk Offline
It varies as to the area. Not all areas have public schools, many only have church run schools and they have to pay. Many do not attend school. I cannot say about San Pedro as I do not live there, but in the rest of Belize most have to pay to go to school. It is a big strain on a Belizean family budget.

#212602 - 12/26/05 08:21 AM Re: Do all children go to school?
scubawalk Offline
My understanding is there are over 100 children in San Pedro that do not attend school. The Rendezvous Jazz Festival and the Calendar Girls are both raising funds to add classroom space and to provide scholarships to allow these children to get an education. There are some public schools in Belize, but most are built by churches, the teachers are paid by the government and the children pay some amount as tuition and have to pay for supplies. I don't have children in the system, but that is the way I have been told by other parents that it works.
"Just another Day in Paradise"

#212603 - 12/26/05 08:39 AM Re: Do all children go to school?
Ernie B Offline
scubawalk is correct. The family must pay a tuition, purchase uniforms, buy supplies etc, etc. This is a very costly effort for some families in San Pedro. The San Pedro Social Club has under advisement a plan to donate a substantial amount of funds to assist in the construction of additional classrooms in conjuction with the Calendar Girls project. We also have under advisement a plan to assist thoes families that need help in paying tuitions and assisting in a meal plan for a select few that really need it, as well as purchasing text books for the school. If you would like to contribute to this effort, please go to our website and hit the PayPal button.

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.

#212604 - 12/27/05 09:22 PM Re: Do all children go to school?
Ernie B Offline

#212605 - 12/27/05 10:49 PM Re: Do all children go to school?
deacon+ Offline
What is the cost per???

#212606 - 12/28/05 08:57 AM Re: Do all children go to school?
Ernie B Offline
Any amount accepted. Please use the PayPal function at www.sanpedrosc.org

#212607 - 12/28/05 10:05 AM Re: Do all children go to school?
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
It is against the law not to send your children to school. All children go to school in Belize through (US eight) standard six.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#212608 - 12/28/05 10:38 AM Re: Do all children go to school?
Amanda Syme Offline
Supposed to go to school until you're 14 years old.

San Pedro Primary School (Catholic/Government subsidised) is around $85 Bze per year - plus books, plus uniforms plus your own desk, plus occassional donations for fundraising events.

All in all probably costs around $500 US per student per year.

San Pedro High School costs more, I would estimate about $1,000 US per student per year because there are science and computer lab fees.

The private schools are 2 - 3 times as much.

#212609 - 12/28/05 12:04 PM Re: Do all children go to school?
SimonB Offline
For those who live in the community and wish to donate who do they see? Paypal will not accept payment from Belize IP addresses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Mike Campbell), 42 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,738 Topics
461,312 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.