Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
M
Read your thread again, go to the S.P. fitness clab to check out Mum type activities, there is a sewing place on Back Street opposite the football field, I was in there last July, think a basic machine was about $300.00 Bz. They had material but can't remember is they had patterns. In Belize City across from Brody"s there is a material store alot more selection, can't remember it's name, but it's not hard to find.There is a shop across from the Church that makes to order clothes, she might be able to help you with sewing lesson's if not inquire at the High School, Miss Martha in the office I'm sure would know someone.Again enjoy, It's a great spot for little ones.

Schools here in Belize run on a modified British system - it is our very own Caribbean System.

The Caribbean system is a little advanced compared to the US system. Our kids start school at age 4 and in the states they start around age 5.

Most children that I know that left Belize and went to school in the US were considered "advanced" and went to the top of their classes.

Of course Belizeans are not taught US history/social studies, and typically that is the subject that can keep them "behind" instead of immediately advancing a grade or 2.

We have excellent schooling here, however a child must apply his or herself in order to fully appreciate the standard of education offered.

I was educated here on the island and feel that I I received a good, solid education here. I wasn't fortunate enough to go on to college, however my younger sister did attend college in the US and managed wonderfully.

Originally posted by Amanda Syme:
Schools here in Belize run on a modified British system - it is our very own Caribbean System.

The Caribbean system is a little advanced compared to the US system. Our kids start school at age 4 and in the states they start around age 5.

Most children that I know that left Belize and went to school in the US were considered "advanced" and went to the top of their classes.

Of course Belizeans are not taught US history/social studies, and typically that is the subject that can keep them "behind" instead of immediately advancing a grade or 2.

We have excellent schooling here, however a child must apply his or herself in order to fully appreciate the standard of education offered.

I was educated here on the island and feel that I received a good, solid education here. I wasn't fortunate enough to go on to college, however my younger sister did attend college in the US and managed wonderfully.

OP Offline
Wow, what a response! Thanks Monica and Amanda for the great info. Sorry to cause such a sir with the topic of education on the island. I too heard from a few locals while we've been on the island that the kids educated in BZ are advanced a grade when/if going to a US school/college. In fact, a lady I was speaking with was telling me about how are son moved from here to L.A. to live with his dad and was advanced a grade to 8th grade because of his entrance exams, etc.

As a teacher myself, I feel confident in the information I've received from locals, the internet, and the schools themselves about the education my kids will get. Of course there are pros and cons in comparison with the US, but ultimately as the parent, it's my responsibility to make sure my child is the learning what she/he needs to learn.... I'm the most important teacher in their life. If needed, I'll supplement with homeschooling. Coming from a a state in which is overburdened with too many kids, no budget, lots of useless testing (which could be improved if those who were requiring the test actually step foot in the classroom after the tests are taken to really help in way that would benefit students -- sorry run-on).

As far as the preschool issue.... Monica, when You had your little one there... how many kids were usually in the class? How many teachers? Do they teach any Spanish too(I hope)? What was the cost?

At the fitness club... are their classes for litte ones too? I know that there is a Pilates class (how is it?), but wanted to know if there are any water type aerobics class or swimming lessons for little ones. We will be living just around the bend from the club and am looking forward to going there often to work out, swim, and play tennis.

OP Offline
Oops, lots of typos in my last thread, sorry.

Dive Chick, funny you ask about water aerobics, before reading your last post I was going to comment on that as you first asked about "MOM" groups and activities.

Just today when I was at my salon my friend that I go to mentioned that we are going to get a group of us (10+) to attend water aerobics together in the evening. They currently have it M-F 7:45am. It will be fun to get a group together and then every now and then do dinner together after!

oh and strange you ask about tennis!!! I just joined the Fitness Center so I can swim laps and play tennis. Are you experienced? I have never played tennis so I am looking for beginner partners. They have a list of people looking for partners and their levels at the club. You should join NOW before Feb 14, they have a special with 5 months free if you join for the year.

As far as schooling, my friend left Belize when she was 12 (she is now in her 30's) she was a grade ahead in math and another subject when she moved the states. I am going to be tutoring and assisting at the school soon and will PM you my opinion as to where children are as opposed to the states. I agree with Amanda. And El Diablo...oh, wow, did I just agree with him? Cool. Really, it depends on WHICH schools in Belize and which schools in the states. Education does vary quite a bit throughout the states. You can't say one is better than the other. You are also correct in " but ultimately as the parent, it's my responsibility to make sure my child is the learning what she/he needs to learn.... I'm the most important teacher in their life."

C
C
Kraz-k what school are you going to be tutoring at?

as far as pilates, it is next to Sol Spa. Carrie is excellent. M/W/F/S is yoga and Tu/Th pilates. $15 BZ/class for locals.

You might be a good workout parnter for me. I am going to do the water aerobics once a week, yoga or pilates once a week, swim laps once a week, run once a week and lift weights 3 days a week.

I will let you know by the end of this week. It is undecided and have appointments with the schools. I am looking to tutor at public schools so most likely the Roman Cath. Elementary School. I have to make sure all is legal with permits and all before beginning.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 109 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.