Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213337 - 08/09/06 10:03 PM VOIP over Satellite
Marty Offline
There is a brand new DirectWay satellite presently on the island that is available for anyone interested. This is ideal for those not able to connect locally or to have VOIP and bypassing the blocking by BTL. Call 226-3245

#213338 - 08/09/06 10:47 PM Re: VOIP over Satellite
dabunk Offline
Smart is rolling out new stuff this month. Internet connection through a cell phone 100k download speed for 100 Bze per month, unlimited access, but you need to buy a more expensive phone. Still alot cheaper than satellite and much more portable. Might put a crimp in Direcway, and I am told they are not blocking Skype or any other VOIP. I am a sat user but sounds like I may be making a switch. I have a friend in Placencia who has it already and loves it.

#213339 - 08/10/06 08:10 PM Re: VOIP over Satellite
Sun&sand Offline
Direcway has a thing where they will relocate your equipment when you move. Wonder if it will work if we move from US to Belize? Think they will relocate our equipment for us? Wouldn't that be great if they did???? I'd be willing to buy more equipment if they would.
Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'

#213340 - 08/10/06 08:23 PM Re: VOIP over Satellite
Short Offline
Direcway doesn't exist anymore; it's now HughesNet:
Live and let live

#213341 - 08/10/06 09:21 PM Re: VOIP over Satellite
dabunk Offline
Direcway will not move or transfer your account to Belize. Central America has a completely different set of suppliers (contractors)and they do not play well together.

#213342 - 08/11/06 05:31 AM Re: VOIP over Satellite
Sun&sand Offline
Hmmm...bummer. Thought that would be a nice way to continue their service. OH well...But. Will the reciever/decoder work in Belize? Since we have purchased two of these little goodies, it would be nice if they worked there. Not that they are expensive in the US, but probably are in Belize. Any thoughts??
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'

#213343 - 08/11/06 08:46 AM Re: VOIP over Satellite
Short Offline
Yes, it will work, but you'll have to keep it on a US Address.
Live and let live

#213344 - 08/12/06 06:31 AM Re: VOIP over Satellite
Sun&sand Offline
How do we do that? Do you mean that we have to have a US zip code? I'm not understanding these things, appreciate your helping me. Glad you know what all of this means.
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'

#213345 - 08/12/06 09:56 AM Re: VOIP over Satellite
Short Offline
Well, you need to have a US billing address, to get connected. That's the same for satellite TV and radio.
Live and let live

#213346 - 08/12/06 03:19 PM Re: VOIP over Satellite
HVYMTL Offline

Since you have a existing Hughesnet system running- all you have to do is move it to new location, and have it repointed by an installer or yourself if you are trained to do this.. checkout

along with http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat

also- you should move to a larger dish size, at least 1.2m depending on where your going- I always go with 1.8m(6ft) to avoid degraded performance and rain fade.

also- what sat. are you on? Satmex5?, Some satellites do not reach Belize, sm5 should be fine, others need to be checked and research done before you attempt this.
Let me know if your serious, would be glad to help out.

If they tell you it won't work over satellite, they didn't try hard enough!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 50 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.