Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206154 - 11/11/06 02:42 PM Re: Right Livelihood in Belize
LaraTravelBelize Offline
Zen
Wow, heavy questions that honestly would be more realistically answered when you get here. There is only one way to understand this place and what goes on, and honestly, that is to here. Having said that, you might get some interesting dialogue here....

below, i have put some cursory thoughts down to your three basic questions...

So here are my questions:

1. Are there other products, other than these mentioned above, that Belize might export with the assistance of a good export management company? Can you think of any? - Absolutely. For example, I have a friend who buys Conch Pearls. I am a jewelry girl (JAP from Phila wink ), and i've never seen these things. They are gorgeous, but have not really hit the mainstream american market yet. They will, and the person trading will do well. Also, believe it or not, there is the skill here to make jewelry, handbags and other custom high end items for a wealthier market. In phila, when i left, everyone wealthy stay at home mom was designing handbags, having someone make them and selling them for a few hundred. If they could be made here and sent up with exclusivity, the belizeans could be paid a fair wage, the designer and import/exporter would make money, and everyone would win. These are of course, just girly items, but hell, i'm a girl smile The belizeans, you will find are a VERY clever people. Formal education as we are used to in the states doesnt even come close to what they have figured out how to do just from living here, and mostly, listening to their older relatives. Again, once you are here you will see lots of opportunity.

2. Is it possible for a small investor to come into Belize, buy land and/or an existing resort, B&B or other tourism-related business that creates some employment for locals while also earning money for the investor? Absolutely....but remember, just like in the states 10% of businesses make it. Just like in the states people will tell you that businesses fail here all the time, and they DO! but there are reasons for that, best discussed over a cocktail as the reasons are myriad. I had three successful brick and mortar businesses that i started, and i learned a lot. there is a lot people do here exactly right, and then there are things done exactly wrong....and they fail.

3. Are there people looking for work in Belize that might want to/be able to provide non-tourism related offshore services for foreigners? If so, what would be the best way to get in touch with such people? Walk around. There are people willing to work hard everywhere on this island...and in this country. The people could care less what industry they are in so long as they have a good job with fair wages.

Zen, again, i have to tell you, being the sorta person i am, i thought i could get a good handle BEFORE i got here. and really i did...at least i had enough information to be open minded when i got here. And then, all the questions i asked on this board were answered just by being here. This is a place unlike any you've ever seen (ok, generalization made and noted smile ), but its amazing, and i'm sure you'll fall in love. Just like the rest of us.

dont know if this helped or not...but again, these are enormous questions you are asking, and i'm not sure how else to go about answering them baring a sit down at BC's on a sunday.
www.lemoncrushbelize.com

#206155 - 11/11/06 04:43 PM Re: Right Livelihood in Belize
zen Offline
Thank you very much, Lara, for your thoughtful response and insights.

Maybe I will be able to sit down at BC's some Sunday and chat with you.

Note to administrator/moderator:

In the interest of message board economy, i would like to close this topic here and consolidate it with the similarly titled thread in the "Living In Belize" forum...which is located here: http://ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/000591.html

To be continued...

#213709 - 11/11/06 10:32 AM Right Livelihood in Belize
zen Offline
Here is the background info:

I want to travel to Belize for an exploratory visit next spring—with an eye towards returning later for an extended period of time.

I am not wealthy enough to jet all over the world vacationing without earning money.

Right Livelihood is important to me.

I own a small import/export company and have worked for years advising people on how to start, buy and sell businesses (I am an attorney) and also currently teach economics courses at my local state university in the U.S.

The question on my mind now is: What could I do to earn money to help defray the costs of my travel to Belize—and perhaps long-term stay-- that would also benefit Belize and its people?

This would mean bringing money/resources from outside of Belize into the country to help enrich it by either exporting products from Belize to the U.S. or otherwise creating employment opportunities for people in Belize through service industry jobs.

I am assuming that: Belize’s main exports are marine products, citrus, cane sugar, bananas, and garments and that relatively well-established companies control production of these items. (And perhaps that production of some of these items may not always be beneficial to Belize, though I don’t really know enough about the situation there to make this assertion.)

Other assumptions: Belize imports a lot more than in exports. The tourism industry is its main source of outside currency.

1. Are there other products, other than these mentioned above, that Belize might export with the assistance of a good export management company? Can you think of any?

2. Is it possible for a small investor to come into Belize, buy land and/or an existing resort, B&B or other tourism-related business that creates some employment for locals while also earning money for the investor?

3. Are there people looking for work in Belize that might want to/be able to provide non-tourism related offshore services for foreigners? If so, what would be the best way to get in touch with such people?

Any suggestions/comments/reflections you may have on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#213710 - 11/11/06 02:52 PM Re: Right Livelihood in Belize
tacogirl Offline
Zen

I do not have answers to all your questions, but felt to post as we kind of did same, came for a shorter visit then came here extended.

A common thing I have heard is to tap into a niche that no-one has hit yet.

Are you planning to be more on mainland? Or come to Ambergris Caye?

What ever it is you find yourself doing, you need to be able to ride out the waiting periods for getting a work permit.

I have heard if you buy a business like a B&B you are able to be an owner but not work there till you have papers in order.

As for export items how about coconut oil?

Coming for your initial visit may help you fill in a few puzzle pieces.

#213711 - 11/11/06 03:28 PM Re: Right Livelihood in Belize
SimonB Offline
Try here for some answers:

http://www.belizeinvest.org.bz/

#213712 - 11/11/06 05:32 PM Re: Right Livelihood in Belize
zen Offline
Lara responded:

"Zen
Wow, heavy questions that honestly would be more realistically answered when you get here. There is only one way to understand this place and what goes on, and honestly, that is to here. Having said that, you might get some interesting dialogue here....

below, i have put some cursory thoughts down to your three basic questions...

1. Are there other products, other than these mentioned above, that Belize might export with the assistance of a good export management company? Can you think of any? - Absolutely. For example, I have a friend who buys Conch Pearls. I am a jewelry girl (JAP from Phila [Wink] ), and i've never seen these things. They are gorgeous, but have not really hit the mainstream american market yet. They will, and the person trading will do well. Also, believe it or not, there is the skill here to make jewelry, handbags and other custom high end items for a wealthier market. In phila, when i left, everyone wealthy stay at home mom was designing handbags, having someone make them and selling them for a few hundred. If they could be made here and sent up with exclusivity, the belizeans could be paid a fair wage, the designer and import/exporter would make money, and everyone would win. These are of course, just girly items, but hell, i'm a girl [Smile] The belizeans, you will find are a VERY clever people. Formal education as we are used to in the states doesnt even come close to what they have figured out how to do just from living here, and mostly, listening to their older relatives. Again, once you are here you will see lots of opportunity.

2. Is it possible for a small investor to come into Belize, buy land and/or an existing resort, B&B or other tourism-related business that creates some employment for locals while also earning money for the investor? Absolutely....but remember, just like in the states 10% of businesses make it. Just like in the states people will tell you that businesses fail here all the time, and they DO! but there are reasons for that, best discussed over a cocktail as the reasons are myriad. I had three successful brick and mortar businesses that i started, and i learned a lot. there is a lot people do here exactly right, and then there are things done exactly wrong....and they fail.

3. Are there people looking for work in Belize that might want to/be able to provide non-tourism related offshore services for foreigners? If so, what would be the best way to get in touch with such people? Walk around. There are people willing to work hard everywhere on this island...and in this country. The people could care less what industry they are in so long as they have a good job with fair wages.

Zen, again, i have to tell you, being the sorta person i am, i thought i could get a good handle BEFORE i got here. and really i did...at least i had enough information to be open minded when i got here. And then, all the questions i asked on this board were answered just by being here. This is a place unlike any you've ever seen (ok, generalization made and noted [Smile] ), but its amazing, and i'm sure you'll fall in love. Just like the rest of us.

dont know if this helped or not...but again, these are enormous questions you are asking, and i'm not sure how else to go about answering them baring a sit down at BC's on a sunday."

Thanks again, Lara.

(Hope you don't mind that I cut and pasted your reply from the Chat Area to this thread.)

#213713 - 11/12/06 03:24 AM Re: Right Livelihood in Belize
zen Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by tacogirl:
What ever it is you find yourself doing, you need to be able to ride out the waiting periods for getting a work permit.

I have heard if you buy a business like a B&B you are able to be an owner but not work there till you have papers in order.
From what I've gathered thusfar, it appears that I would file an Application for Temporary Self-Employment, which, if granted, would allow me to forgo the 6 month waiting period for a work permit. (Assuming i am creating employment for local folks and have sufficient financing to make a go of it.) Is this--Temporary Self-Employment authorization--very difficult to get?

Quote:
Are you planning to be more on mainland? Or come to Ambergris Caye?
This decision will require in-person investigation.

Quote:
As for export items how about coconut oil?
Do you know anyone who produces coconut oil for sale?

Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks and kudos to the creator/moderator of this message board too. I'm glad I foundya. smile

By the way, I can be reached at:
avalo@charter.net

#213714 - 11/12/06 09:08 PM Re: Right Livelihood in Belize
tacogirl Offline
Hi Zen

There was a past post on it and I am going to use search and se if I can find it.....

http://ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/4/t/012444.html

Marty had a good contact there for coconot oil in this post.

(if you do search on coconut oil you will get 30 posts, lots of great info in old posts)

#213715 - 11/14/06 02:24 AM Re: Right Livelihood in Belize
zen Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by tacogirl:
Hi Zen

There was a past post on it and I am going to use search and se if I can find it.....

http://ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/4/t/012444.html

Marty had a good contact there for coconot oil in this post.

(if you do search on coconut oil you will get 30 posts, lots of great info in old posts)
You're right, thanks!

I've been going through old posts and have figured one thing out for sure, as one poster said:
Quote:
MARTY ES EL HOMBRE!!!

#213716 - 11/15/06 07:46 PM Re: Right Livelihood in Belize
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Pedro's Frozen Pizzas could use a good export strategy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.