BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
csaynor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm in Miami for business, and then from the 6th - 12th Dec I'm looking to fly somwhere from Miami for a bit of a vacation and I've stumbled across caye caulkner as a very good possibility. If any locals, travellers etc can give me some answers and advice to a few questions that would be great.
1 - flights are looking at being $400 by AA from Miami, is this a good deal?
2 - Is 5 days/6 nights in the cape worth all the hassle it is to get there, with me having to take another flight or boat from Belize to the caye, etc etc
3 - I'm a mid 20s British guy and will be on my own which I hate, as I'm a very social person. I'm not bothered about being in a real busy place, but am quite keen to meet-up with enough good fun people, how quiet is the caye? And what type of travellers are there, singles/couples/honeymooners etc
4 - Are there fun places to have a good drink in the evening?
5 - I want to learn to dive, how long are the courses and what is an average cost for a beginners Padi course? I just want to make sure I budget right before I arrive!
6 - Any recommendations for somewhere to stay, so I don't become a loner [Linked Image]

thanks for any help, I know that I can find a lot of this info on the various websites (which I've already looked around), but it's always good to hear the opinions of people in the know. If anybody is going to be around the Caye on those dates (6-12 Dec) then feel free to email me.

Chris - [email protected]

[This message has been edited by csaynor (edited 11-14-2001).]

C
C
Getting to Caye Caulker from Belize International Airport is pretty easy, its as a simple as wakling over to the Tropic Air ticket counter, right in the terminal, and getting a 15 minute flight to Caye Caulker for around $90 bz one way. You can book your Tropic Air flight in advance right on the internet. Or, you can take a cab to Belize City for $15 U.S. and then a water taxi for 15 bz, but the last boat to Caye Caulker leaves the Marine Terminal at 3 p.m. If your flight is late arriving you might end up spending the night in Belize City (yuk)

The people of Caye Caulker and most of the travelers coming for vacation are layed back and friendly, that is why they chose Caye Caulker, rather than San Pedro or Cancun. San Pedro is much more upscale, touristy, lots more cars and golf carts and faster paced.

Snorkeling and diving from CC is spectacular, and the guides are professional. If you still want to go to San Pedro, day trips that include snorkeling and a couple of hours in San Pedro are available every day through most tour operators, along with water taxi service every 2 hours or so, during daylight hours. Mainland tours are available right from Caye Caulker, Altun Ha ruin tours, River boat tours, all can be booked from Caye Caulker.

You WONT have any problems meeting people and having a great time on Caye Caulker.

Things to not miss:
-Swimming at the Split
-The Manatee tour
-Rice & Beans with stewed chicken and potatoe salad, made by Miss Marla, she comes out most evenings and sits near the China Restaurant.
-Coffee, homemade yoghurt and fruit, bananna cake and muffins in the morning at Cindy's Cafe
-BBQ chicken at Jolly Roger's in the evenings
and so much more! Too much to list.
-Dennis Wolf who plays music at The Oceanside every Friday night

www.cybercayecaulker.com

M
M
Stay at TINA'S BACKPACKER'S HOSTEL - $7.50 US Night for a BUNK (shared room: 4-6 people to a room). Kitchen and hang out deck and big sandy yard with hammocks.... You will immediately be among people from all walks of life from all over the world who are into meeting and getting to know people from various cultures.

Caye Caulker is definately worth the trip out; and it is NOT a hassel to get there. In fact, it is pretty easy. NO BUSES to get there! That's always a good thing!

Sandbox and Oceanside are the 'hang out' spots for after dark. They are both restaurant/bars. The routine is, Sandbox early evening, Oceanside after 9 or 10 PM. You can sing karaoke, listen to Denny's Wolf a one man show with some original songs on guitar and organ...and dance from midnight until...

Head for the Split (next to the Hostel) at Sunset and watch the sun go down with all the other nature lovers...

The last boat to the Caye is NOT 3PM as posted by 'cybercayecaulker'; it is actually at 5 PM - so no stress if you choose that route.

You're bound to have a really good time in Caye Caulker. Few people walk away without emersing in it all. Because it is a small island, the athmosphere is friendly, personal / intimate... no worries about making lasting friendships, if you're that kinda guy.

Enjoy!

M
M
Stay at TINA'S BACKPACKER'S HOSTEL at $7.50 US for a Bunk. Community kitchen, large deck with hammocks and big sandy yard. Located near the Split. It is a great place to meet people from all walks of life.... Guaranteed you won't be a loner within a few minutes of arrival, if you are as 'social' as you say.

Caye Caulker itself is a pretty friendly and laid back kinda place. Lots of personal or intimate experiences if you want it. People are pretty open and genuinely friendly.

It is certainly no 'hassel' to get to Caye Caulker from the mainland; and for sure it is worth it.

$400 US is a good deal to fly to Belize. A real good deal is about $350.00 US, but sometimes it can be as high as $500 - $600, so I'd take it at $400.

Cheers,
Mermaid

C
csaynor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks to all for your advice!

Really looking forward to it, especially after 5 days work stuck in a bland Hyatt Hotel in Miami .
Will probably pay a visit to Tina's, I can always get myself a more expensive room in another place at a later date if the communal snoring gets too much [Linked Image]

One more question.....Are credit cards widely accepted for a dive course etc, or do I need cash?...I guess US dollars will be acceptable most places!

Thanks

M
M
US dollars and travellers checks are widely accepted. In fact, the street value is higher than the bank's exchange rate - Street: $2.00 Belize = $1.00 US, Bank: $1.00 US = $1.9825 (or $1.97 for T/Cks).

Credit cards are accepted too, but most places charge a 5% processing fee.

Enjoy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 160 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day