Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#215362 08/29/02 08:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
If you are interested in why the mangroves are important have a look at http://www.ifas.ufl.edu/~veroweb/online/mangroves.htm

#215363 08/29/02 10:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
we need more environmental education in our schools, but also for adults.

#215364 08/29/02 09:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Are you sure it is the Belizeans selling the land? Perhaps some non-Belizeans have bought up the land and then raised the price to the point that only non-Belizeans can afford it. It happens.

Personally, I think non's who want only to live in Belize should be allowed only to lease land for a specific period, max 99 years. The longer the term, the higher the lease cost. No taxes, except on the sale profits of structures on the land (which might have to be moved off). The lease fees & taxes can be put into an interest bearing fund for Belizean citizens to borrow money to buy land/build a home. This benefits all involved to some extent, with natives reaping the most benefits. The land is used & enjoyed by the non's, but it cannot permanently go out of Belizean ownership and IS available for future generations of those who "owned" the land before any governments decided what belonged to who. Funds are provided to bring about native-owned homes/businesses, the ex-pat gets to live in paradise with a smaller investment and profit only on what they has built on the land, not just because they had the money to buy it & then sell it at a huge profit.

Nothing is wrong with business-men, or even business-women. : ) Many are responsible, decnt, hard-working people who want their local employees to learn a business/trade and do well. A solid economy requires that, and all businesses benefit from that. After all, if we need money, we need to work. If there is no place to work, how will we get money? So, ex-pats who wish to start businesses may buy land, with a surcharge. They should receive tax breaks for a limited period of time as long as they take on Belizean "apprentices". Want to operate a hotel? Teach a native how to start & operate a hotel. Want a resort? Teach inn-keepers, chefs, groundskeepers & entry level positions as well. This then provides work as well as creates the ability for natives to be trained to own their own businesses/have a well-paying career/earn a living wage, etc. Fair incentives can be designed for business-owners. Their investment is as well protected as any in Belize can be- they can sell the land, usually at a profit.

Complicated? You betcha. So is creating a native economy, developing a native work-force, fostering positive social structures, and giving future generations a viable future. So, this is just one format such a plan might have. If you don't like this one, create another one.

Force Belize's elected officials to listen to AND answer to those who elected them, or get them out of office. Easier said than done? Of course. Worth trying? Yeah, unless you think it's really a good idea for the country to be bought-up by outsiders and run by insiders that are themselves motivated by profit. Then, watch our/your culture, your language, your spirituality, your natural world turn into something unrecognizable.

And for the record, we need ex-pats: not just business-owners, but those who just live here. They bring us new ideas, new ways to accomplish our goals, hell, sometimes they even awaken our desire to have a goal!!! But we must remember that sometimes standards get raised to accomodate those who push for it, and ex-pats often know better how to advocate for change, and peaceful methods of doing so. Anyway, they are here, more will come, and we might as well get all the benefits we can out of the inevitiable.

Go ahead, agree or disagree. The question is: how do we preserve Belize for all who will be here?

#215365 08/30/02 12:18 AM
J
J
so dont cut the mangroves!!! you can build elevated walkways to the dock or bridge for you natives. I have seen this done in parts of florida and the carolinas in the usa in delicate enviromental areas. dont let a bunch of tree huggers scare you away. caye caulker like the rest of belize need some limited growth at least enough to generate enough taxable income to bring some things the island needs desperatly like a solution to the trash( the dump ) which is growing everyday. and the raw sewage that pours in to the sand and out to the reef everyday.
I have done studys and have found that barrier islands are the most diffucult place to design a decent septic systems. Even in my limited research i know that many of the islands hotels, resorts.restaraunt could not possibly handle the sewage being generated everyday. I am sure that most of the septic systems are probably found lacking. do the math find out what it takes to build a island friendly house. i belive single family homes will be safer in the long run than a bunch of small hotels cattering to tourist. who bring with them things like plastic water bottles and batteries. as for the people who want belize for belizians tell your families back in the united states to come back home, sell thier property in plases like california and chicago and new york and florida that way they and you can have the whole belize to yourselves. i can hear them laughing now !!!! you people should figure a way to engourage healthy growth for your country. because its coming no doubt about it. you cant stop it but you can steer it in a direction you like or can at least live with. you dont want to shit where you eat!!!

#215366 08/30/02 03:54 PM
R
R
Much Thanks Memingwa and others for opening this one up for discussion. I'm a foriegner living on CC, I believe that I should not be allowed to purchase land on such a limited space as CC. Indeed it belongs to Caye Residents and then if there is any left it should be opened for sale to other Belizean citizens. But never should Prime real estate be sold to foriegners, ever... I like the leasing idea though.
There are communities on the Mainland that retirees will love. Emery King has lots, that don't need fill and are already hooked up to an electricity and sewage starting at $15,000. BZ. Why not take advantage of something like that and then visit the resort places when you want?
Now, if none of our replies daunt you, you should really come see for yourself. As for Mangroves- they are my hero trees, without them this island wouldn't exist. There is also best practises to assure enviromentally
friendly building practise. Keep researching Mr. Pallesen, I'm sure Belize will be an excellent place for retirement, just let your concience be your guide.
Thaks for my 2 bytes. Allie

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day