Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#215352 12/03/01 12:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Is there any ocaen front property that faces the reef still avi North of the split.

I am interested in retirement in the area and would like to know what is the avaliable and what I can expect to pay.

Randall

#215353 08/12/02 07:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
We are selling a piece right now - email [email protected] for more info!

#215354 08/16/02 12:55 AM
M
M
'Scuse me. I don't know if this right, so-if it is, please think about it before buying (or selling, for that matter). Is this land fronted by mangroves? If so, wouldn't you have to cut them down to build & have water access?

I won't say more right now because I'm not sure about the mangroves. Perhaps I will say more if the mangroves are there.

#215355 08/24/02 08:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
What would be the problem if there was mangroves?

#215356 08/26/02 01:13 AM
M
M
Mangroves are ecologically significant and necessary environments to keep the balance of the land and sea intact. Cutting them limits the environment for the young of the species to live and grow big enough to head for the larger sea and to reproduce.

Mangroves are also necessary to prevent erosion. Without the mangroves, the sea will take a bit of land with it. Eventually, it will take it all. Especially during strong storms or hurricanes. There is more flooding as well.

Why would anyone who loves BZE want to cut down an integral part of the land they love just to live there? Another consideration: many Belizeans and native CC'rs can't afford to have land surveyed for a land grant, or cannot afford to buy it. The more non-Belizeans who buy up land in CC, the less there is for the people who have a more legitimate claim.

Why not consider land in Belize in an area that doesn't require messin' with the natural environment so heavily? There are places in BZE that are not heavily settled. Places where your money is needed even more than CC, and where you will not displace a Belizean.

I am North American Indian, so I know a bit about what I say. I cannot get good land in my own tribal area because most of it is owned by non-Indians. The fault lies with the government originally. But now, the fault lies with the irresponsible people who do not care if they take land away from the people it rightfully belongs to. There is such a thing as living our lives with our fellow humans in mind.

#215357 08/27/02 11:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
memingwa is right, keep the non-belizeans out of the north-part of the island. they will cut down all the mangroves. but some islanders will do the same. like silvester who did it south the air-strip or those people behind the dump.

#215358 08/27/02 01:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
You do not HAVE to cut them down, they can be trimmed. We "Non-Belizeans" did not remove them and we still get a nice breeze.

#215359 08/27/02 01:27 PM
N
N
Leave the Mangroves is right! Even the goverment has cut down the mangroves by the dump where the new housing scheme will be. I think this is being sponsored by the Area Rep.

none
#215360 08/27/02 04:41 PM
M
M
I did not intend for this to turn into a stand-off between Belizeans and non-Belizeans. I am, after all, a non-Beliziean, so they can't all be bad, right? LOL

I was serious when I said that on CC in particular, and in my OPINION, non-BZE's should look elsewhere for land because there is not enough land to allow native BZE's to own a bit. Now I will probably really tick you off, because it is also my OPINION that those folks born on CC should have 1st priority for the land. It's the way I feel and believe, primarily because I am from a people whose land was taken by the US gov't, and then bought by non-Indians who had resources that native people did not have.

Yes, I do know that CC'rs and BZE's and the BZE gov't have cut the mangroves. As for trimming, I'm sure that is better than cutting them out. I was mainly refering to the total removal so as to have oceanfront property, not an attempt to get an ocean breeze. But getting back to cutting them: does it really matter who cut them in the past? They are GONE!! Does it really matter who will cut them in the future? They will still be GONE!!

And while this may certainly offend some of you (and I sincerely regret that), it must be said because I see it as the truth: too often, "outsiders" recognize the worth of something more than those who live with it, or in this case, on it. This is true in my homeland. More non-Indian landowners take better care of, and do less damage to, their land than do the Indians who own/lease the land. I saw several examples of this on CC as well. Tourists were often more reliable about not littering than some of the folks who live there. Trash littered many yards and some businesses.

So what is the solution? I have no definite answer, but a start might be 1) for non-Belizeans to recognize the situation and buy someplace other than CC, or, 2) buy up property/businesses already owned by ex-pats, or 3) if a non-BZE'r must buy land on CC, then be as non-invasive, with as little impact on the natural world as possible, or 4) the non-BZE'r could set-up a model that can be used by other land/homeowners- solar power, wind-power, composting, etc., thereby increasing the use and knowledge of a sustainable lifestyle, and 5) get the "officials" who are showing themselves to have no long-term vision for Belize and Belizeans OUT of OFFICE. We ex-pats, tourists, outsiders, or whatever, cannot do the latter. Only the citizens can do this. Will you?

#215361 08/28/02 02:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
but think about it.... why should non-belizeans not buy land if it's the belizeans who are selling it. If they don't want non-belizeans to buy up all the land, then belizeans should stop selling it to them. Unfortunately, it all boils down to money. Many foreigners have it, many Belizeans want/need it..... even if it means selling their little piece of Belize.
Also, if the decent non-Bze people don't buy the land being sold the greedy, evironmentally unfriendly, "business" men will!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day