Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215890 02/26/02 12:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I just returned to the US after 15 days on Caye Caulker. I loved it! I love Belize (went to Placencia last year) and I can't wait to come back.
However, I was VERY surprised at the horrendous amount of litter EVERYWHERE on CC. It amazed me to see locals and tourists throw their garbage on the ground...constantly. Litter reflects filth and many Americans and Canadians (I can't speak for Europeans) are turned off from returning because of it.
Anyway, maybe the resort owners should get together and have an island clean up day once a month or something? Also, if there were more public garbage cans here and there, maybe lazy people wouldn't toss it on the beautiful sand. Public garbage cans would look a lot better than all of the crap on the beaches.
Just an idea. It would have improved my trip 100%.

#215891 02/26/02 02:35 PM
M
M
I've noticed by the Caye Caulker Village Council Office, a bunch of brand new, wooden garbage boxes.

I am speculating that they are to be placed throughout the island.

I know that they also have a truck that goes around cleaning up and collecting garbage throughout the island on a regular basis.

However, property owners are responsible for dumping their own trash.

We hire a local 'garbage man' or Cart Guy to do a weekly dumping of our trash, only to be informed by the Village Council Garbage Truck Driver that they have found the trash any place but at the Dump - sometimes under overturned boats on the beach, in the bush etc...??...

The Village Council Truck Driver has taken to digging through the trash to identify whose trash it is and informing them that it was found no where near the dump. They do this to identify who the (not quite)'Trash Guy' is.

It is a problem, no doubt. Hopefully we will see a cleaner Caye Caulker when the New Garbage Boxes go out.

#215892 03/17/02 04:25 PM
R
R
The boxes seem to have made a huge difference in the cleanliness of our village. Thanks to CCVC and the CCBA for that! Way to go!

#215893 03/18/02 12:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Yes! I just returned from a fantastic week on the beautiful island and found it to be clean! Spic and Span! I think the wooden trash boxes must be doing magic, because I rarely saw trash littering the sandy roads and beaches. Thanks everyone for maintaining a franchise-free island! All the best!!

#215894 03/21/02 11:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I am so glad to hear that the new wooden boxes are working so well!! I can't wait to see next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day