BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215904 03/04/02 02:36 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I am really excited to visit CC... should I be concerned with safety at night if I am a female? Any night suggestions? Do I assume the island and all of belize is casual?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I just returned from 2 fabulous weeks in Caye Caulker and was not concerned for my safety at night. Don't be stupid and invite trouble but don't be overly concerned either. The bars are safe, hotels are safe (some more than others as far as robbery goes), even a stroll along the beach is ok if you are not in a deserted area walking naked etc. Just use the same common sense that you would any where else.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Oh yeh, as far as casual goes - CC is casual everywhere. I don't know about the rest of Belize. But on the Island, you can go barefoot anywhere; a t-shirt or bathing suit top with shorts or a scarf wrapped around your waist is sufficient clothing. Don't bring fancy clothes, you won't need them and it's just more weight in your luggage. Bring very light-weight rain gear if you have it as 30 minute downpours do occur on occasion.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
be careful of the men. lots of guys that are in relationships or married will try and step on you, especially the dreads, and gal bring condoms if you are even thinking of playing around. belize has a tremendous rate of AIDS!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I have never felt threatened or even uneasy about walking alone. Just use some common sense, like you would anywhere.

It doesn't seem like a crime riddled place to me. It has a small population, relatively speaking, and so any incident gets around. This may make one think more is happening there than actually does.

Most of the crime is petty theft. Don't leave your belongings unattended. Lock your hotel room door, if you have alot of cash leave it with the hotel office. Drink responsibly. Just the normal precautions that one would take anywhere.

There seems to be alot of talk, gossip if you will, about the men. Seems some have roving eyes and more if the situation presents itself. There also seem to be those who would take advantage. The locals even have called them gigilos. Of course none of this can happen unless you let it.

There was a post about a possible rapist. It has since been removed. Not sure if the party was caught or left the island.

You will probably find other travelers to hang out with anyway. Just go and enjoy.

N
OP Offline
N
Thank you so much for all your responses. I am a pretty safe person - not worried about inviting problems... or unwanted men (that is not what I am looking for on this trip, especially not alone). But, meeting other travelers would be great.

What bars or hang outs are good to go to at night to either meet people or just listen to music, cup of cofee, drink, etc...?? Do people go out at a certain time... I heard Caulker Caye was not as late night as Ambergris Caye.... just more mellow.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Dear Night Owl:

There are a number of places that are active at night. Although we will never be San Pedro (AC), we do enjoy life here. You might want to try Oceanside (esp on weekends), or the I & I bar. On Thursdays (I believe), the Spaghetteria Italiana has Denis Wolfe (live country music), and on Saturdays Oceanside has karaoke. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Wendy A.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Try I&I my wife and I love it.

C
C
Dennis Wolfe plays live music at the Oceanside on Friday Nights also.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day