Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215931 03/08/02 09:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
My husband and I will be on Caye Caulker the last of this month. He plans on using a guide for reef fishing but he also plans on casting off shore if possible. What pound test line should he put on his reel? Also are there any artificial lures that may work? He asked me to ask for him as he hates messing around with computers. Thanks for any help.

#215932 03/10/02 10:01 AM
B
B
Hi LG, Your hubby can bring any bass type spinning gear in the 6#-8# range for close in fishing. This will work for the bonefish/ small cuda/ snapper that can be caught from shore/docks. If he goes out with a guide he may want something a little heftier in 12#--15# range. Must have wire leaders or the cuda will shred your lure supply in no time. There is virtually no tackle to be bought on the island so come prepared if you can. Reels should be saltwater type, and even then rinsed with fwater after each use. Any flashy spoon lure will work on cuda. I had luck with Yo-zuri, Crystal Minnows for jacks and macs. Most fish with bait down there, crab/conch/sardines. So bring hooks and weights. If you want some different fun, get a hold of a Mann 30+ Magnum Stretch and have your guide troll outside the reef if it's calm enough. He will probably have a bigger rod/reel for this...a 4.0 or so. Will get big grouper and mega cudas and whatever is prowling in the neighborhood. Dorado colored...or red/white worked best. Bring a couple as part of the tip for your guide. Around $10 (U.S.) here, but $30+ in Bze. Good luck and tight lines.

#215933 03/10/02 01:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Lake Girl, just a couple more things. As stalker said tackle is in short supply so I usually bring extra hooks,weights and wire leaders to give to the locals. Size 4 hooks will work good for dock fishing but you might want a 1/0 to a 3/0 for the reef. Tell your husband he can catch some nice fish at the split,bones included. Also try off the docks, most of the docks you can just go out on and look for the fish. If you want to do any spear fishing the people at Tsunami Adventures will rent you a spear gun. Just get some snorkeling gear and go to the split. Some of the rasturants will cook your catch for you, just ask around. As far as weights go 1/8oz to 1/2oz will work good from shore. Conch works real well as bait but if you can't find any conch most people use sprat. Hope this was some help.

#215934 03/11/02 06:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Lake Girl
My girl friend and I will be in CC 3/22 - 4/4 and hope to charter boat for some reef and deep sea fishing. Would you and your husband be intrested in sharing a boat and the cost for a full day of fishing?

Bonestalker
Can you recommend a good reasonable guide? I don't plan on bringing any gear with me, will this be a problem if I charter a boat?

#215935 03/11/02 06:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Thank you SO much for all of your help. I am anxious to show your replies to my husband and I am sure he will understand it all much better than I do. Your advice is very much appreicated. Thanks again, Lake Girl

#215936 03/11/02 06:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Fisher Man,
I will talk to my husband as soon as he gets home from work and write back. Thank you,
Lake Girl

#215937 03/12/02 06:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Dear Lake Girl:

In order to have a great fishing experience, please use a licensed fishing guide. If you would like me to recommend you some, please let me know, OR, feel free to stop by my office when you are on the island and I will arrange a fishing guide for you..

Cheers,
Wendy

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day