Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#216933 - 01/06/03 07:15 PM lobster season
My husband & I are planning a trip to Caye Caulker next month & I love lobster! Could someone please tell me when the cutoff date is for lobster fishing? I don't want to miss out on it! Thanks!!!!!

#216934 - 01/07/03 12:37 PM Re: lobster season
Feb. 15th...

#216935 - 01/07/03 01:35 PM Re: lobster season
Thanks for the info. We've been trying to get a room on the quiet end for the beginning of February & noticed none are available until after Feb. 15th. Is that just a coincidence? Also, have emailed Anchorage Resort twice with no reply. Is it still in business? This is a great message board, has been very helpful. I've been reading various posts on a wide range of topics & also have checked out any photos I can find on CC. We were there 8/01 but only for 1 day & knew we had found something very special. Can't wait to return! With several inches of snow on the ground here in the midwest U.S., I need the sun soon!

#216936 - 01/07/03 02:58 PM Re: lobster season
falcos Offline
When does lobster season begin?

#216937 - 01/08/03 11:54 AM Re: lobster season
June 15th...

#216938 - 03/10/03 03:21 PM Re: lobster season
artplyn Offline
Is a license required? Off Key West, the technique I used was snorkeling with a net. I assume that would work there also. What is the size limit for harvesting?

#216939 - 03/11/03 11:52 AM Re: lobster season
Sorry, I don't have that answer.

#216940 - 03/11/03 10:19 PM Re: lobster season
The answer is that is unwise for travellers to fish more than one lobster without a permit or a way of being sure that the TAIL WEIGHS MORE THAN FOUR OUNCES.
The waters are divided among the fishermen.Whose fishing grounds would you be in?

#216941 - 03/12/03 08:52 AM Re: lobster season
artplyn Offline
Thanks for your reply, but I am still a little confused. I will be back to CC for a month next Nov/Dec and was planning on doing a lot of snorkeling around the island. I was assuming that I would either notice one or more lobsyer areas or would be told of a place by a future local friend. When you say "fish more than one lobster", are you referring to a lobster trap? I was planning on netting while snorkeling. And when you say "without a permit", that implies that a permit is needed. Are you talking about a commercial permit or is it also needed for recreational fishing? If needed where would I get one? I'm used to using a lobster measure rather than trying to determine if "the TAIL WEIGHS MORE THAN FOUR OUNCES". How does one determine if the TAIL weighs more than 4 ounces? I not sure how this can be done without killing the lobster. When you say "The waters are divided among the fishermen", isn't that referring to commercial harvesting? Don't the non commercial fishermen occassionally go out fishing or lobstering? I was told through emails that I could fish off a dock without any problem. Is fishing with hook and line ok, but netting a lobster not in certain waters?. Sorry for all the additional questions, just trying to get it right so I don't plan on something that is either impossible or would be considered rude or in bad taste to the local community.
Thanks for your help.

#216942 - 03/12/03 03:44 PM Re: lobster season
Scale fish don't make people feel personal like lobster. There is the law and there is the best way to have a good time on the Caye.Debating commercial vs. recreational isn't going to calm an annoyed local. The situation makes such debates a lose -lose deal.
Using a spear gun to fish isn't well accepted for foreigners here, by the way. Just line fish off the docks or at the Split or down south.
Lobster fishing is done with a hook stick.They guess the weight of the tail.Seems impractical until you consider that they already know how to do this and no one else is supposed to have the problem.
I notice that these posts seem a little mean. Sorry, it is not what I meant. I see you are just planning some fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day