Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#21737 10/15/06 07:55 AM
Axeman Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok folks..I'm trying to form a plan for 2 days on the mainland to see the Zoo and a few ruins. Which would you suggest and where would you stay?
I'm not looking for top shelf lodgeing, just someplace safe and cool.
What would be your 1st choice if you had two days?

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#21738 10/15/06 08:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Plenty ruins sitting at BCs

#21739 10/15/06 09:11 AM
Axe - aside from Gringo's pomposity, perched upon his bar stool, you might consider:

1, Xunatunich in Cayo. Easy to get to, near the Guat border, west of San Ignacio. Lots of places to stay, in wide variety of pricing. Funky little place I like is Parrot's Nest in Bullet Tree Falls, on the Mopan. Pretty basic so that impressing the Ozzie might rule this one out. http://www.parrot-nest.com/ Check out http://www.evasonline.com/pages/page2.htm for some other ideas. You can also hit ATM cave in same area and do some cool canoing as well as other things. Another place I like is Clarissa Falls. Both of these do not cater to the high-end crowd but are charming & funky in their own right. Neither get much, if any, press from ppl on this board, but that's ok too. Simply means it's a little less crowded. wink

2. Lamanai is a also a very good ruin site, easily done on a day trip from AC. Better than Altun Ha, in my opinion. Acco's are relatively limited. Lamanai Outpost Lodge is nearby. Maruba not THAT far away, if you want to pamper her a bit.

No doubt others will chime in here as well, but this should get you started. Just be sure to schedule around the cruise day-trippers.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#21740 10/15/06 10:41 PM
Axeman Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks...meant to put in a note on Cruise ships..but plan on checking the day we schedule. Not really going for the real high end stuff..we are pretty low maintenence. Concidered Maruba..still might stay there for a day. Still 3 months out and in the planning atage.

#21741 10/16/06 07:38 AM
There are some great jungle lodges: Black Rock, duPlooys, Chaa Creek (pricey but has a cheaper "glorified camping" option), Jaguar Paw, Banana Bank, Bz Jungle Dome. A few cheaper places in Bullet Tree Falls by Parrot's Nest, called Cohune Palms & Iguana Junction. San Ignacio has many cheap little hotels in/close to town making it very easy & inexpensive to eat, tour, etc. (Cahal Pech Village, Log Cab-inns, Trek Stop, Smith Family Farm, Hi-Et, Martha's, etc.) Email me if you need details or help arranging. Lots to choose from. Maruba gets very mixed reviews lately - probably not worth the $$. If you want a great spa day, Chaa Creek would be the place.

#21742 10/16/06 07:38 AM
The island tour folks used to stop by Maruba to grop off/pickup folks for the Lamanai tours. I know Seaduced did on a trip we made a couple years ago.
Richard wink

#21743 10/16/06 07:44 AM
Is that what the kids are calling it these days? laugh

#21744 10/16/06 06:15 PM
A reasonable and safe place to stay in San Ignacio is Midas Tropical Resort. Personal cabins...great breakfast, close to town, next to a nice family resturant...Hodes!!!! The owner, MariaOrfelina, has her own website to view...and for what it might be worth...ask for the friend of Bill Thornton rate.

Gone fishing!!
#21745 10/17/06 06:01 AM
Axeman Offline OP
OP Offline
Bill..it's an honor to have you post..Thanks!

Heard of Smith Family place last time..good reviews..
Now I can search a bit..Thanks so much for the idea folks..I'm sooo in need of a vacation...

#21746 10/17/06 12:50 PM
A
A
Altun Ha and Lamanai are a good combination of ruins to visit. They were excavated by the same archeologist but they are very different in that lamanai is set in the rainforest covered by jungle and you get there via river and altun ha is much more restored, clean like a park and gives a different perspective. Checkout Barb's website and the top picture on the left is a walkway from Maruba. Recent word I heard is that the resort is getting rave reviews even saw a write up on it on this forum a couple of days ago, but its not a basic eco-lodge, its very detailed from the design to the fabrics to the global vibes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.