HI all---

I've been coming to Caye Caulker in the summers for the last few years. Before the hurricane, CC was lush with vegetation including Coco Palms. The summer after the hurricane I almost didn't recognize where I was as the water taxi pulled up to the dock, everything had changed so drastically. I remember some talk about replanting efforts for the inhabited parts of the island here on this board. My observation last summer was that there was a ton of new construction going on and that the density of structures toward the split was growing close to uncomfortable. I don't really recall seeing much in the way of new small trees coming up. I am wondering now in retrospect and in regard to the new influx of cruise ship day trippers, how CC town stands with its development and replanting efforts. Is it only up to individual property owners to plant trees for shade? Is there any committee in charge of seeing to planting new trees in public spaces? Any planting programs that visiting friends of the caye can volunteer or contribute to?

I am also wondering about the status of that burned down palapa down at the split. Was anyone ever charged? I saw the palapa in August just as the construction was finishing. I was curious about its closeness to the water's edge and its implied exclusivity. I am not sure I understand Belizean or particularly Caye Caulker's laws about property ownership on beachfront property/at the water's edge. I remember someone telling me about a law regarding free passage along beaches. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks