Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Topic Options
#217866 - 01/12/04 05:12 AM General CC comments
Anonymous
We just returned from a wonderful week on CC - our first visit to Belize. Clearly I don't have lots of wisdom to impart from a single visit but thought I'd share some general impressions for other newbies.

- One of the surprises was that CC is probably second only to London as the most cosmopolitan place I have visited. We met people from literally all over the world.

- Everyone we met, both residents and visitors, were friendly and helpful. No bad experiences at all. (There was a post here about a month ago from someone who apparently had a bad couple of hours on CC. We sure did not encounter anything like what he described.)

- Among our group of 5 people we dove the Blue Hole with Paradise Down; went Blue Hole snorkeling with Seagull Adventures; did local snorkeling tours with both Johnny's (Pirate) and Mario's. We had great experiences all around.

- I read on various message boards to expect slow food service on CC. Perhaps our expectations are different than others' but we ate at a wide variety of restaurants and didn't run into any that seemed unreasonably slow. It's actually pleasant to be able to sit and enjoy a meal and not feel pressured to hurry up and leave!

- As far as food, on CC you could eat for almost nothing or you can enjoy "upscale" dining, depending on your budget and your tastes. We did some of each and it was all great. There is even GOOD fast food available for grabbing something quick before heading out for a day on the water. (I liked the carry out place on the side of Chan's - that says "Pirate" on the wall.)

- Everything really IS within walking distance.

- It did rain several days but only for about 20 minutes. Then the wind blew the clouds by and the sky was beautiful blue again.

- One word of advice: even if you don't see them (and I never did) the little biting beasties are there! Of the 5 of us, only 2 got any bites but they were BIG 1-2" bites all below the knees. Since those 2 were not staying in the same room and the bites always appeared in the morning, our best guess is that they occurred in the evenings at dinner and wandering around town. I would suggest that if you are prone to bug problems (or as soon as you find the first bite) that you change to long pants in the evenings and spray some DEET from the knees down.

- But don't let that deter you or spoil your trip. CC is everything they say - laid back, friendly, beautiful surroundings. Enjoy!

#217867 - 01/13/04 05:17 AM Re: General CC comments
Anonymous
Thanks for the post! We'll be down in CC very soon and the review is lovely to hear! Where did you stay? And any restaurants you loved?

#217868 - 01/14/04 04:23 AM Re: General CC comments
Anonymous
Hi Michie -

We stayed at Auxillou Suites which is a very nice place but not right now! They are adding another half to the building and the workers start at 7 AM. There was no "sleeping in" with drills and saws going on right next to my head. They were really moving along though so hopefully the noisy part won't last too much longer.

Habaneros was the restaurant we liked enough to go back a second time. It's very yummy but definitely at the pricey end of the spectrum. We also had terrific food at Sand Box, Rainbow, Glenda's (but you have to be prompt because she sells out pretty fast - before 12:30 for lunch), Vespucci's Table, the "lobster on the grill" place across from OceanSide. The Lighthouse is a great little dessert place. We typically got ice cream, cake or pie there to end up the evening.

I don't want to take up more space here but if you have specific questions I'd be happy to share our experiences - you can email me at bcompulady@excite.com.

You'll enjoy your trip!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day