Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#217965 02/19/04 01:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Coming to the island for the first time next week.
Can anyone tell if it is possible to rent a canoe and fish the leeward side north of the split?
If so, what could I expect to catch and is that a good area?
Any info would be great! I'm a bass and pike fisherman that's never saltwater fished.
Looking forward to the visit!
Thanks!

#217966 02/19/04 11:45 PM
C
C
I don't know anything about fishing, (except the eating part) but I do know that Allie at Toucan Canoe can rent you a canoe by the hour or day. There is only one Allie on Caye Caulker, and she's the captain of the Caye Caulker Ruta Maya Canoe team (took 1st place last year) so if you ask around you'll bump into her.

#217967 02/20/04 04:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
When we visit the Caye, we take our own inexpensive fishing rods. The collapsable ones that are available at WalMart, KMart, etc. seem to work just fine. It beats the equipment available on the Caye - your hands hook and line, only. I don't recall anyplace where you can get or rent fishing gear (Poles, reels, etc.) You can buy fresh sardines from locals for ten cents each. We cut them up and fished for several hours with only about 10. We did not bother renting a canoe, we just fished from the waters edge at the split. We caught some small yellow fish with dark stripes. I'm not sure what they are called, but they did put up a big fight for their size. Be aware, that you will likely get lots of "help" and advise from the locals on how to best land a fish if you are working from the split. You will certainly find more serene fishing if you can get away in a canoe. The kids are the best and they rarely see a fishing pole (it seems). At the end of our trip, we give the poles the kids that show a lot of interest. It gives us something to leave to them, and less for us to bring back home. If you fish from the split, beware of debris under the water that will catch your line. We also take a mask and snorkle so that we can retrive our line and hardware without having to break the line. Best wishes for good fishes!

#217968 02/21/04 12:14 AM
F
F
There is a house that rents poles and reels, good ones. It is near the split, a block off the main walk. A house that sells baits is there too. I recommend it! I fly and bait fish and their rentals are great!

#217969 02/21/04 01:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Thanks for the replies and info! Can't wait!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day