Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Topic Options
#218398 - 10/29/04 12:48 PM diane's beach house
i was just wondering if anybody stayed at diane's beach house and what they thought? also, i am looking to come to cc in the spring; late march, early april. i've heard in can be quite windy then? is that true and does it retract from the cc experience.
Swimming is also very important to my family, and was just wondering if you can just hop in the ocean and swim anywhere or if it has to be off of a pier.
i have also noticed that people say there is no beach, does this mean there is no place to set up a beach chair in the sand and sit in the sun, or does it mean that the beaches are not huge, overcrowded, or as powdery as some might expect?

i'm really looking for a place to get away and relax (do nothing), but at the same time experience another culture, but the swimming is important to my kids and wife.
any help would be appreciated

#218399 - 10/29/04 04:09 PM Re: diane's beach house
DanDan Offline
You will enjoy Diane's. Come on down. Swim all you want.
enjoy, Dan

#218400 - 10/29/04 09:29 PM Re: diane's beach house
I think Diane's is the nicest place in town to stay.There is white sand out in front to set up a chair and no line up of sunbathers on towels at all. The whole island is white sand.

#218401 - 11/12/04 01:53 AM Re: diane's beach house
grapes of wrath Offline
Welllllll...let's be realistic--Cay Caulker is the coolest...but...if you are looking for a real wde-into-the-water-and-float-on-the-waves scene-this is not it! You can ride you bike down to the split and jump into the water--and even swim over to the other part of the island--but the reality of the 'beach' is that it is a great place to sit and read--or to do what my kids did which is to tie sheetes to broom sticks and use them as sails as they rode their bikes...but wading into the seagrass is not so inviting--this does NOT take away form the wonderfullness of Caye Caulker...just don't expect that white sand travel commercial swimming experience from most spots...

#218402 - 11/12/04 11:30 PM Re: diane's beach house
G of W is absolutly correct in her description of the beach experience.

[This message has been edited by keycocker (edited 11-12-2004).]

#218403 - 11/17/04 04:04 PM Re: diane's beach house
I recently returned from CC and really enjoyed snorkel/scuba. It was just my husband and myself and I would not take my 4 kids who range in age from 10-19.The beaches are really not swimming beaches but more to lay out and relax. In my opinion (and please do another post on just this issue) the entire island is not a place for kids. There really is almost nothing to do and the 3 kids I saw while there seemed very bored all the time.

#218404 - 11/17/04 11:58 PM Re: diane's beach house
beachmidwife Offline
Our four children (ranging in age through the years from 5 to 19) have been fortunate enough to have been to Belize several times. It is true that there are not the same activities available to them that they are used to at home, but they love Belize, ESPECIALLY Caye Caulker, as much as we do. Maybe the first day takes a little getting used to, but after that, they never want to leave. They love walking up and down the island, meeting people (local and fellow travelers), playing with the other little kids at the park, joining in a basketball game, practicing snorkeling in the shallow water down by the split, fishing with their dad, not wearing shoes, drinking fresh orange juice from a recycled rum bottle, smelling that irreproducable smell of fresh laundry hanging out to dry in the wind, learning to live life at a slow pace, not watching TV or reading the headlines, learning to live without A/C (being hot does not kill you), going to bed when the sun goes down and getting up when the sun rises (to the sound of those amazing tropical birds), making friends, making sure we get to the split in time to see the sunset, being outside ALL DAY LONG... I could go on and on. Bring your kids. It will change their lives.

#218405 - 11/18/04 01:16 AM Re: diane's beach house
Wow! I'm there beachmidwife. You absolutely captured that island feel. Oh, to hear a grackle in the morning!

#218406 - 11/18/04 12:12 PM Re: diane's beach house
My husband and I have been to Belize and Caye Caulker many times.....9 times i think so far and we will be returning in April. The last 2 years we brought our son - age 9 and 10 at the time of each trip. He absolutely loves Belize and when asked this year whether he wanted to go to Disney World or Belize....He didn't even need to think about it...He insisted on Belize and Caye Caulker. The experiences he has had will be with him for a lifetime. There is NO lack of activities for kids. He caught his first barracuda on Caye Caulker and still talks about it. The snorkeling and water activities are endless. Time spent bonding with your family in the down times are special too. Take your kids to Belize... the culture, the people, and the activities will broaden their world beyond your expectations.

#218407 - 11/20/04 02:45 PM Re: diane's beach house
Auxillou Beach Suites Offline
Granted, there are no malls on Caye Caulker for pre-teens and teens to hang out at, or nintendo and x-box games to fry your brains with, but here are some suggestions on some great activities that my kids and I always seem to enjoy:

1. Meeting people (local friend and travelers)
2. Snorkeling at the reef (wherever)
3. Swimming
4. Socializing
5. Bird watching
6. Crodile Watching
7. People watching (this can be quite interesting too)
8. Scuba diving
9. Laying in a hammock together sharing stories
10. Family BBQ
11. Fishing
12. Canoeing / Kayaking
13. Games evening with friends
14. Coconut bowling
15. ...and I could go on and on...

All you need is to stop thinking inside the box and lead the way for your kids to enjoy Caye Caulker for what it is... a nice carefree place where the quality of life is measured in togetherness, adventures and activities, not material things.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites
Caye Caulker, Belize

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 78 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,689 Topics
461,191 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day