Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#219042 03/18/05 02:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hello everyone,
First of all, I want to say what a great source of info this message board is. Thanks to everyone who takes time from their day to provide their answers.
Anyways, the reason I'm writing, is that my wife and I are heading down to Caye Caulker from the 30th of March to the 7th of April and as it is our first time, I would really appreciate some help with accomodation. We have a list of the places that we are considering and would love some feedback on them. In no particular order they are:
Tropical Paradise,
Ocean Pearl,
Seashell Suites,
Caye Caulker Apartments
Lee side Rooms
Maxhapan
Any info at all would be appreciated (i.e. if any of the places are located next door to late-night bars, or if any area of the Caye is preferable to another)
We are really looking forward to our trip, (We're from the Canadian Rockies and are in the middle of a heavy snowfall warning) and hope to soon be relaxing in the laid back atmosphere of Caye Caulker.

Thanks for your help
Jon and Kayla Zabloski

P.S. I've read that you can get a case of the local beer for around $15 U.S. In Canada we consider 12 beer to be a case but I know in some areas 24 beer is a case. What's the defintion down there??

#219043 03/18/05 09:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The list is all in the same area of the village within three blocks except Caye Caulker Apts. which is in a calm area on past the school.
Most locals have never stayed in your hotel list.Perhaps travellers who post here can help.
A case is 24 down here.

#219044 03/18/05 12:05 PM
F
F
We just got back and stayed at Dianes
Beach house. It was great, but one of the pricier places on the island. They are
starting construction on a building behind
Dianes , which is located nest to the
Sailwinds and Auxillou Suites as well
as Tinas Hostel. If you stay there you should
ask about this.
Didn't see any of the rooms but would have
considered Seaside Cabanas (if it matters some don't really face the sea) or possibly
Caye Caulker Condos...but the condos
are within shouting disatnce of the Lazy
Iguana bar at the split and they have loud music Sunday nights (a DJ) but fairly quiet
most of the week.
SeeBeez looked interesting from the outside
as well.
We met a couple of people staying at TreeTops
and from their experience I would never
stay there.
We originally wanted to stay at the Iguana
Reef Inn but couldn't get rooms that faced
the bay, its on the west side of the island
and their price included breakfast, but
mostly we bought fruit etc because we had a full kitchen.
Hope this helps.
Oh one more thing. Not sure if the Iguana
Reef is located close enough to the power
plant to be affected by the noise but again
find out.
Best of luck, we loved the island and its people, had a great time.

#219045 03/18/05 12:32 PM
S
S
My husband and I enjoyed staying at Morningstar Guesthouse. It is a little off the beaten path, but well within walking distance of everything Caye Caulker has to offer. Nice and quiet, very clean, affordable, and the hosts, Al and Joanne, are wonderful.
http://www.jaguarmorningstar.com/

We've also stayed at De Real Macaw and Vega Apartments. They were on the main strip but a little noisier.

Enjoy your stay!

#219046 03/18/05 12:35 PM
S
S
Forgot to mention that Morningstar also has bicycles available to make it super easy to get around!

#219047 03/18/05 01:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
You may also want to check out www.cayecaulkerbelize.net This is the official Village COuncil website and has a comprehensive listing of all properties in Caye Caulker :-)

#219048 03/18/05 10:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, It's great to have such quick responses.
A couple more questions now,
I am really looking forward to do some fishing while I'm there and I probably won't be able to afford an a guided trip. I was wondering what my chances are of catching fish from the caye. I'm not picky about what I'm catching, just looking for a little bit of fun.
Also, is bait the best way to go? if so could I just use a regular jighead or is their some special setup I should use?
Is it expensive to purchase tackle there?

thanx everyone

#219049 03/19/05 11:44 AM
F
F
You can purchase line, sinkers and hooks
on the island. I brought 3 rods and
all the terminal tackle and lures I could
carry. I suggest you do the same. Ask
around and you can buy "sardines"
for bait. They work for pretty much
everything. Tight lines

#219050 03/20/05 11:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
From the list of hotels you provided, it seems you were leaning more towards a specific price range than location. In which case, you might also want to consider: Peach on the Beach - it is moderately priced, is located on the beach, in the village proper and offers in room amenities such as microwave, coffee maker, fridge & cable TV....

#219051 03/20/05 12:57 PM
D
D
Jon,
I will be on Caye Caulker Apr.2-9 and will also try to get some fishing in. Drop me an email if you like, we can compare note on shore fishing and maybe share a charter.

I see nobody answered your case of beer question...I have no idea...but it would be nice if the price is $15USD per 24.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day