Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tomo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
finaly decided to take the plundge and travel from the uk to Belize to do some salt water fly fishing. Im staying on caye caulker and have 8 days to fish and i am looking for some contact details for some guides on the island. Has any one got any info at all. We fly on the 9th of august and land on the 10th. I am counting down the days!!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I would recommend that you bring all your own tackle and flies. There are a couple of guides on the Caye...you should also look at the postings on this subject on the Belize Forumns page which offers some very good and detailed advise. If you plan it right, you won't be disappointed as there are many species right of the beach.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
the best guide is bernard...his number is ...501-602-6265 ask for [brownman * that{s his nickname tell him nate dogg from CC recommend him, his email is [email protected] peace out

T
Tomo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
i have all the tackle that i need i used to develope rods for Bruce and Walker and i now work for orvis here in the uk. i have 8 days and i intend to fish all day every day. Has any one got any details on costs. I am out there doing an article for the top fly fishing magazine here in the uk. but dont want to break the bank!!

C
C
Post your email address.

T
Tomo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
[email protected] is my business address and [email protected] is my personal

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Do some good background checking on your "guide" many "guides" are little more than boat operators who will be able to entertain you with stories of Belize and the Cayes but offer little in the way of instruction as to fly choice equipment to use, etc. All for 2-$300 US a day..no bargain. IMHO Caye Caulker is a wide open for a quality guide with his or her own quality equipment and machinery.

Soon the fishing guides with be of the caliber currently available in diving operators but not yet.

T
Tomo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
it's not very easy trying to find guides, there is very little contact details for the caye it's self. i want a guide for two people for at least five days . i have seen prices between $185 and $300 per day, but i would hope that i would be able to get a good guide for about the $200 mark per day if we are going to use him/her for that amount of time. Any thoughts??

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
there are no real fishing guides on c.c. hire a boat have him take you to a large flat and wade. tell him to take a nap or he will either spook your fish or get into your backcast. i have fished around c.c. on and off for about 5 years its been awhile since ive had the pleasure. best tarpoon fly the cacaroach bigger the better. best bonefish snapping shrimp unweighted and weighted taller the grass the lighter the fly. i have found the wieghted fly make a nice sound when it lands gets them bones charging in fast!!!. dont let the guide try to pole you around for fish the boats are too noisey and the good fish flee. have em take you to the large flat on the southern side of caye chapel. get there before the tide starts to come up practice your casting the wind is a factor!! when you feel comfy about your cast stand in the shallow part of the flat should be ankle high from here you can see the fish when they come in. large fish and large schools push alot of water. it takes time to tell the differece. use a 9 wieght rod for your bones you get tempted to go light when the winds not bad but the longer you have the bone on your line the better chance your just gonna feed the sharks and cudas. if the cuda get bad and sometime they just hit every bone you hook. i use an old tarpoon fly and some wire leader and then take em to wish willys let him cook em good. well every one told me to go to turneff for fly but i always got my fix around c.c. oh about the permit. be ready to cast be agressive they show up outa nowhere and disapear before you know it. most of the time your lucky if you get one cast em. they will chase a shrimop pattern. tried alot of crab patterns never worked maybe the fly maybe me i havent figured it out yet. good luck where good wading boots and watch em they seem to walk away on c.c. good luck and have fun

T
Tomo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
many thanks all info is very much appreciated just trying to build up as much info as possible so that i have as much backgroung as possible. Going for bones tarpon, any thing that swims and will take a fly i'll have a go at. im going to have 8/9/10/and 11 weight rods with me so if worst comes to the worst and i brake one i have some back up!! might even take a small spinning rod as well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day