Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219469 - 06/15/05 05:28 PM general questions
Anonymous
I am traveling to caye caulker in july and i have a few questions. I would appreciate any help you could give.

1. how much to rent golf carts and bicycles?
2. do you really need them?
3. can you buy bottles of rum on the island?
4. what are some can't be missed resturants?
5. what are some "off the beaten path" activities not to be missed?
6. what about renting kayaks or canoes? price and where?

Any other info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#219470 - 06/15/05 07:14 PM Re: general questions
XIIthMan Offline
We walked everywhere we needed to go.
I believe you can get rum at several of the mini-marts or Chen's Grocery.
Habanero's was good with large portions.
We wanted to go to Don Corleone's but never were able.
Not really of the beaten path, but Lazy Lizard is a must do, especially to watch the sunset.

#219471 - 06/16/05 04:53 PM Re: general questions
Caye Connect Offline
1. how much to rent golf carts and bicycles?

Gold Carts
$250US/wk, $50US/day

Bikes
$75/wk

2. do you really need them?

This depends on where you are staying. If you are near the airstrip or on any of the "back" streets, you will likely need a bike. Golf cart is a total luxury, and really not required unless you physically unable to walk/bike or need to transport something heavy.

3. can you buy bottles of rum on the island?

At any convenience store or at Chan's grocery. One Barrel is the local favorite.

4. what are some can't be missed resturants?

Habeneros -- 10
Don Corleones -- 9
Rasta Pasta -- 8
Sand Box -- 8
Barefoot Caribe -- 6
Happy Lobster -- 5
Chinese Place -- 4 (but open till 12am)

5. what are some "off the beaten path" activities not to be missed?

Ras Creek Tour - MUST - meet him at the water taxi dock, he leaves for his tour most days at 12pm

Bike/Run/Walk to South end of Island.

Placencia Tour with Raggamuffin Tours.

So many other fun things, but they are certainly not hard to find.

6. what about renting kayaks or canoes? price and where?

Never done it, but plenty of options. I've only seen Kayaks, singles or doubles.

#219472 - 06/16/05 04:57 PM Re: general questions
Caye Connect Offline
Forgot to mention:

Rainbow Restaurant (where I had my wedding), is amoung the top 3 places on Caye Caulker.

#219473 - 06/19/05 03:48 AM Re: general questions
ragamuffin Offline
catch a snapper or any other fish and take to Marlas best dinner on C.C....I&I bar is a must..sweet rolls from C.C. bakery..fishing with Piggy...and remember.. go slow ....

#219474 - 06/20/05 07:24 PM Re: general questions
Lobster King Offline
What is the Ras Creek Tour? Where do you go, what do you do, and what does it cost? Also, same questions on the Placencia Tour suggestion with Raggamuffin Tours. We are coming for Lobsterfest weekend and may want to do a tour while we are there. Thanks...

[This message has been edited by Lobster King (edited 06-20-2005).]

#219475 - 06/21/05 04:26 AM Re: general questions
Caye Connect Offline
Ras Creek is a local guy who runs a half day snorkel and environmental tour. The trip is excellent for both snorkelers and those who just want to see the water/nature around CC. Ras is extremely knowledgable, and since he has been going to the same places for years, he really knows (personally) the wildlife around the Island. Expect to see the CC coral reef area, shark/rays, sea horses and possibly crocodiles

He also catches and cooks conch and fish right on the boat which really hits the spot. The boat is VERY slow and calm, fun for all ages...

Overall, a great tour, Grade A. His boat is the one with benches and a palapa built on top, creating a second level (giving nice shade) and you can meet him most days at the water taxi dock. He generally leaves around 12pm.

Plancencia tour with Ragga...

I've never done it, but I hold the Raggamuffin operation in high regard. Most of their snorkel tours are half/full day, but they run a 3 day sail/snorkel/stay in Plancencia. I personally love the sail boat aspect of Ragga; roaring outboards sometimes drain me.

Hear is the info on their site:
http://www.raggamuffintours.com
http://www.raggamuffintours.com/overnight.asp

Hope this helps, Cass...

Caye Caulker is small, relax and enjoy the many options you have while you are here. I've honesly never had a "bad" experience with a tour/activity. There is no reason to *plan* everything out. Just go slow and calm in whatever you do and you should have a great time...

#219476 - 06/22/05 07:49 PM Re: general questions
Allie Offline
Hi
Kayak rentals are $10- $15 hour for solos and 15-20 hour for a double. I offer a nice Kayak Sunset Mangrove Tour around the small end of CC. It's $45 bz pp for 2 1/2 hours tour,you learn about the oft forgotten eco systems of our caye and see seahorses, upside down jellyfish, birds, iguanas,and sometimes crocs! Price includes the K rental and bottled water. I also have Kayak Reef snorkel tour, for $60 Bz pp. Lots of nice tours and you will love it here. you can see me at E-Z Boy Tours or ask anyone it's a small friendly island.
Allie

#219477 - 06/25/05 07:19 PM Re: general questions
safetyguy3 Offline
I do not recomend that you go to Caye Caulker but should you do so, the best food on the island is the Barrier Reef Bar and Grill.

#219478 - 06/27/05 08:00 PM Re: general questions
Anonymous
I have ecently returned after spending 10 days in Caye Caulker. Any of the tour companies will do a nice job. Raggamuffins uses sail boats, E-Z Boy has motor boats, Allie is quite accomodating and pleasant and Ian the guide is excellent. Raz has his unique boat and does a good job entertaining. You can arange several different trips to Mayan ruins if their are enought interested in going(it is off season) and there is also the manatee reserve.Habenaeros is excellent food with large portions. Don Corelones has great food too, smaller portions. The difference you probably won't have a doggie back to take home. There are lots of little local restaureants and kitchens and the meals are $5.00 or so US. One barrel rum is good but don't forget to try the coconut rum as well. As a tourist if u are in average shape your legs will get u around quite nicely. Bring mosquito spray at least 30% deet. They aren't an issue on the shore, but they are on the interior of the island and if you boat into the mangroves. If you are into fishing at all seek out Raphael-he is the best! most people will know how to locate him.
Don't expect any cheap bargins on souveniers. It's not like other islands. You can barter, but with giving dignity to the maker of the item, with the street vendors. The Guatamala women frequently visit and sell their tapistries. There are nice wood carvings and bowls etc. made of Zericote wood which is a very hard wood & gorgeous. I have read some of the other comments and I don't agree that the people are unfriendly. I met lots of nice people transpalnts and locals alike. And number one drink bollted water. Just have a great trip, relax, go slow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (IGAmel, JaHo, ragman, JED), 40 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day