Does anybody have experience with bringing a foreign GSM phone down to CC?
After some research it appears you need the following:
- A Digicell SIM card which includes basic starter minutes and account infomration (phone # etc)
- A GSM phone that supports 1900 MHz radio frequency.
- Either a pre-paid card or a premium plan with BTL/Digicell for service.
Many internet outlets are selling "SIM starter packages" for Digicell service while traveling in Belize. They include a phone # and some startup minutes. For example: http://www.telestial.com/products/belize_sim.htm
- Has anybody successfully used an "unlocked" foreign/US GSM phone to receive service from Digicell. If so, did you encounter problems or have better success with one phone manufacturer vs another.
- How is the quality of either incoming or outgoing international calls?
- Does the basic service work in CC as well as it may in the cities?
- Are the SMS and/or data features at all what you may experience in US/EU? The Digicell site suggests a data services that is pending release.
Any other comments would be appreciated.