Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#219710 09/06/05 10:34 PM
M
mslisa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Eek. I haven't checked out this board since the whole Carlos debacle. Not many threads, since then, cho?

Anyway, I'm planning to come back to Belize for a good long while. I want to leave Bush behind fi one reason, the other more prevelant one is to be rejoined with my husband.

In making preparations and all I thouht maybe posting here would help me get a sense of job opprotunities. I know, I know Belize is pretty bad off these days. And no I don't have the capital to start a business. You try living in California! Rass expensive! And yes I am too young to retire.

Here's my laundry list: I know computers, telecom, admin work, CSR (rep and supervisor)in digital print/media. I've also taught at the Belize City YWCA last fall as a volunteer teacher.

I speak English, French, Italian, and Spanish. I cook, do digital photography, painting, and illustration.

I am open to any suggestions you may have.

Give out some blessing and prayer for our brothas and sistahs on the Gulf Coast!

best,
lisa

#219711 09/07/05 10:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
How about looking into a work permit first?

#219712 09/07/05 11:18 AM
M
mslisa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well, since I'm married to a Belizean that gives me automatic Belizean citizenship, which doesn't require a foreign national working permit to legally work in the country.

Thanks for your reply!

#219713 09/07/05 12:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Citizenship is not "automatic". There is tons of paperwork, medical, AIDS test, police record, pictures, interviews...have you already done all of this??

#219714 09/07/05 02:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Caye Caulker is Correct! Just because you married a Belizean does not mean that Citizen is automatic. There is still the need to apply for a work permit. The new rules have that you must be married one year before you can apply for residency. After a five year residency period then you can apply for citizenship. Residency entails getting quite a bit of paper work done with the final document being stamped into your passport.

#219715 09/07/05 07:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I can see that you like our country, and that's great. But please make sure you are informed and don't assume anything. How about starting small and making sure you have a real marriage. These Belizean boys tend to love the opportunities a white woman can give them ($$$$) and find it even more convenient when the wife spends most of the time far far away so that they can play play play...start by getting him to teach you creole.

#219716 09/07/05 09:57 PM
M
mslisa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Alright people simmer down!

First of all me a BLACK yankee gial and I spek *and read kreol quite aight, mein. Thnx!

We've been married a year come November and love one another. No game runnin here where like some white woman fi get played. Sistahs don't play dat rass action no way.

I simply want a change in my life, to be with my man, and the opprotunity to make a differnece in others' - paticularly for my *own people and the community.

I appreciate the feedback about citizenship very much. I found BelizeLaw.org and it stated that citizenship is granted if married to a national. But it didn't mention paperwork, which in Belize is considerable to get anything done anyway. Even to buy a cup of coffee.

So I dig on what you say! Much respek!

#219717 09/09/05 01:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I am a Belizean citizen by birth, and married to a US citizen. Early in the year, I visited Belmopan and specifically asked about the process for my spouse naturalizing.

The Immigration Officer I spoke with mentioned that we must show evidence that we have been married for at least 1 year, BUT that my spouse would also need to physically live in Belize for 1 year consecutive before being eligible for naturalization.

I was not told about waiting any 5-year period. According to the I.O. after having lived there for 1 year consecutive, my spouse would be eligible for naturalization. Of course this would entail all the application process, obtaining police records, and all that "bloodcloth" hassle.

Good luck, Ms. Lisa!

#219718 09/09/05 02:38 PM
mslisa,

Is there any way you can telecommute, working for a US firm while living most of the time in Belize? That is probably your best bet, although those situations are hard to find.

One of the good things about Belize is the infrastructure - DSL, phone and satellite are available almost everywhere.

As far as computer/telecom work, the only thing in Caye Caulker would be the internet cafes or BTL. I know that they only look for people every once in a while. Otherwise, you are looking at a commute to either the city or San Pedro. I don't know much about it, but I assume the opportunities are more plentiful than in Caye Caulker. Water Taxi can get expensive quick, about $85US/week.

Good luck!

#219719 09/09/05 02:49 PM
M
mslisa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thnx for lookin out Knkrbkr and Immigration_2! You fi bomb!

Telecommute, cho? That sounds cool. I'll look into it. I may end up teaching or so, but I could definitely dig to work in an internet cafe. I think my language skills would be of service to tourists paticularly.

My husband has expressed interest in doing tattoo art as well.

I do have a question? How much is BTL DSL runnin these days - say per month for a residence?

peace out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day