Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Topic Options
#219773 - 10/10/05 09:40 PM fishing CC
joe Offline
Will be in CC in Feb. Would appreciate any info on flyfishing for bonefish around CC , guides, costs, area around the island to wade for fishing, etc. Thanks!

#219774 - 10/18/05 07:40 PM Re: fishing CC
Anonymous
theres alot of hard flats on caye caulker on the windward side or east side. down by the split is pretty good in the morning before all the boat traffic. and behind big georges place 1788 motel i think thats what it is called. the flats a little soft here so wade carefully. in the morning wade the edges of the split cast into the channel with a large fly(tarpoon fly) let it sink really deep and retrive slowly always good for some snappers but you gotta get there before the boats go through in the mourning they scare them back into deeper water. instead of hiring a fishing guide just hire a boat for the day with a driver and have him take you to the southern side of caye chapel the flat use to be quite large here, i dont know if it has changed.try to get there right before the tide going to rise.its good for a day of bonefishing. you just have to wait they will show up sometimes thousands and sometimes just a few. but i have caught them up to 7lbs there.practice casting long distances and remember its very windy there. there a fly shop in san pedro i dont remember the name but off the water taxi walk south along the beach about 200 meters down you will see a two storey house with a whit fence around it there use to be a guy there that sold flys but his selection is limited get some schrimp flys pinks and light tan colors work and the snapping shrimp pattern works great. if your gonna fish tarpoon buy your flys in the states and the cacaroach 3to 4 inches long work great jump alot of big fish with that one. be carefull wading the flats always shuffle your feet. slide them along the bottom its better to kick a stinray then to step on one. look around for a young kid to drive you from flat to flat hell just fish our sometimes they look for conch while you fish. most of the best bonefishing in belize is done by wading at least thats my opinion most of the boats in belize are commercial fishing boats and the fish here them and run. practice before you go experiment with different retrives. and be carfull and good luck. jeff

#219775 - 10/19/05 05:55 PM Re: fishing CC
Anonymous
Your best bet is to get a guide. Yes you can hire a boat to take you around. But if you are going to take the time and money to get to caulker hire a guide. I fished last April with Anglers Abroad and it was awesome. Ask for Parnell or Rafaelle for your guide. Also check out the web site anglersabroad.com. And bring a tarpon rod they are everywhere. Have fun.

#219776 - 10/19/05 08:34 PM Re: fishing CC
Anonymous
Good advice above. I've self-guided in the area..only because I wanted to be flexible with the time I fished. Lots of bones off the north of the island and it IS dicey wading. Do indeed get a guide if you can but otherwise I would get up early and head to the split. Try the east side flats first if the tide is right then head to the west side (when I was there wind was from the east every day and started early). Also look in any troughs or depressions with good sunglasses and you will see bones. Before boat traffic starts they will congragate in the channels, slipping up onto shallow flats as opportunities present themselves. I have been on the shore near a channel in 6 inches of water (standing very still) and have 2 dozen bones slip onto the flat not 10 feet away.

#219777 - 10/25/05 06:49 PM Re: fishing CC
Tomo Offline
Came over to CC from the UK in August and i too fished with anglers abroad. They are a great bunch Haywood is a top bloke and will do all that he can to help you. I had Parnel as my guide, we shared some great days fishing and nights out. We had bones to about 4lb+ lots in the 2lb + size, big jacks to high teens, spanish mackrel, cuda but unfortunatly the big Tarpon weren't playing ball but saw fish 100lb+. The tides where strange very low so didn't get much of a shot a permit but saw 20lb + fish. I may well be coming for a return visit my self but this time my girlfriend wants to come along, she wants to know why i won't shut up about the place!! Take a 6 weight 8 weight and an 11 plus a spin tackle rod! Enjoy

#219778 - 10/28/05 06:08 PM Re: fishing CC
joe Offline
Thanks for all the info. I should be there long enough to take most of the advice. Since I'm more into fishing than catching I think I'll stick to the 8 wt rod.

#219779 - 11/06/05 02:03 AM Re: fishing CC
Anonymous
Hi,

I spent almost 4 months on Caye Caulker fishing this time last year and got a good handle on the fishing.

The good news is bonefish are everywhere. If the wind is down then walk the front docks on the island and you will see some good fish on every dock. Easy to catch on freelined bait such as conch, trickier on fly or lure. Fish seem to be smaller on the back but even more common. Look for the guys cleaning lobster and the bonefish will be there in the 100's.

Permit are tougher. You need to get on a boat although rumour has it they can be caught on freelined crab on the flats either side of the split. As discussed above Raf is a good guy and will look after you. Piggy is also a good guide and put me onto a 70lb tarpon (on deadbait)

For tarpon check out the split on a night. This time of year the size of the fish is small(ish) but they offer great sport and are there in numbers. small shrimp fly, white bucktail or live sardine get the 20-30lbs fish. Look to the last of the incoming time. When the tide stops the place turns into an aquarium with the tarpon only feet out but almost impssible to catch. Big Jack and Cubera snapper have a go at the sardines every once and a while but they go deep when hooked and nearly always cut you off.

Other docks with lights on hold tarpon at night. During the day most docks hold a baracuda or two.

If you fancy some bait or live bait fishing or the reefs for a good mix of snappers, baracuda, spanish mackeral etc etc then give Wilbur a shout. On bait there is always a good chance or hitting an unstoppable jewfish or big ray.

You can great fish off the island but the timing becomes an issue. it is nice to get of the island and access other species with Raf, piggy, wilbur etc. if the weather is good then you can hit the far side of the reef. Big snapper and jew fish happen on bait. Dolphin, Kingfish and baracuda on lures and live bait. There is always the off chance or a billfish.

Give me a shout if you need any more advice. Lots of people pretend to be guides but only the above and bernard and parnell (I didnt fish with them but met them) are the only ones who do this as a real job

One word of caution. I upset some of the locals when I caught a few tarpon of the spit in front of the bar and made it look easy ( it wasnt!) it was felt that I affect the guides business! The guides themselves are proffesionals and just want to see you catch.

Pizza at habaneros is great. Burgers at the Sandbox are tasty. Lloyd at the sports bar is cool

Danny

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Marty, 3 invisible), 48 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,074 Topics
462,343 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day