Hey everybody in Caye Caulker, I miss you all so much and wish I was there! I'm in Canada and its cold and snowy but I'm still having a lot of fun. This is Aimee, for those of you who didn't know; I lived on CC for 7 months last year and have moved to Calgary to get my bachelor of Ecotourism and Outdoor Leadership. My term project is to write a paper on consumer's opinions of Ecotourism and I was wondering if every single person who reads this post would be able to help me out by giving me a couple minutes of your time and answering a few questions. That would be awesome! My paper is due in 2 weeks but if you wouldn't mind answering these questions within the next few days then it would give me time to sort through the information and add it into my report.
1. What comes to mind when I say the word "Ecotourism"? (According to what you've ever heard, read or experienced, what is ecotourism?)
2. Is ecotourism important to you? Do you care?
3. When you travel, do you like to eat the local food or food you are used to? what is your restaurant of choice on caye caulker and what do you order?
4. Does it matter to you if a tour includes any of the following components: outdoor based, educational, environmentally friendly, culturally and socially respectful of the locals way of life? Which aspects are more important to you?
5. Some big name companies are located in small countries but the money they make is sent back to the head office in the states. When choosing accommodations, restaurants and activities does it matter to you if your money supports the locals and goes into the community? Or is that just too much thought or effort for a relaxing vacation?
6. List your 3 favorite activities that you'd like to participate in on your holidays. for Example: Fishing, snorkeling, casinos, quading, museums, etc.
7. Do you believe that the tourist's comfort should be the first priority above all else? Explain.
8. Choose all that apply. Are you an operator/ business owner in the tourism industry? A guide? A high end/ resort/ all inclusive traveler? A back packer? Somewhere in between? An eco tourist? Other?
I know this is long, but please answer as many as you have time for! You can email me your answers at firstname.lastname@example.org
or just post them. Feel free to email with any questions regarding my project or anything else you want to know. If you have any friends who are interested in Ecotourism or education and wouldn’t mind helping out, please forward this on to them. Thanks in advance for your time! I appreciate it very much. Sincerely, Aimee Mitchell
[This message has been edited by Aimee (edited 11-09-2005).]