Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#22029 - 04/17/00 04:09 PM Scuba safety?
MamaLiz Offline
OK, so I'm probably just starting to get paranoid, but someone on a scuba message board said that Amigos Del Mar has had many people get DCS (the bends) after diving with them. That person might just be stirring up trouble (sound familiar?) but is there any way to check on the safety record of the different dive ops? I have a brand new Open Water Certification and my friend will be taking a resort course, so we need competent babysitters!
Thanks,
MamaLiz

#22030 - 04/17/00 05:20 PM Re: Scuba safety?
Marty Offline
I'm sure its BS, but I'll check with Melanie at Amigos del Mar, I'm sure she has something to say about this...

#22031 - 04/18/00 06:51 AM Re: Scuba safety?
Gary Offline
I spent a week diving with them. I was very impressed with the entire operation. We all had a safe and wonderful time. I hope the above information was just chatter.

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited 04-17-2000).]

#22032 - 04/18/00 03:57 PM Re: Scuba safety?
sandy Offline
I've just returned from San Pedro as well, and was recommended to use Amigos by a divemaster whom i've known for years - and trust implicitly.

I doubt very much that anyone could get away with unsafe practises for very long in SP - it's too small and interdependent for a bad operator to survive.

cheers

#22033 - 04/18/00 04:56 PM Re: Scuba safety?
Amigos del Mar Offline
Just replying to the message about Amigos divers being unsafe. Whomever posted that message obviously does not have a clue as to who we are. The people who do know us can verify that we have the best safety record of any dive shop on the island. We have been in service going on 9 years. If anyone has questions about our service please feel free to e-mail us at amigosdive@btl.net.

#22034 - 04/20/00 12:30 AM Re: Scuba safety?
CK Offline
The message you read was probably in response to one I posted on Rodale's message board. My husband had a problem a couple of weeks ago in Ambergris, and we were extremely impressed by the professionalism and caring of the Amigos del Mar staff. I researched who to dive with extensively before we went, and they came up first choice everywhere I looked. You can't go wrong with them.

#22035 - 04/20/00 03:41 AM Re: Scuba safety?
MamaLiz Offline
Thanks everyone... I didn't want to make Amigos Del Mar look bad; I have heard so many wonderful things about them. Then this bozo started to stir things up. I wasn't really worried, but it just got me wondering if there was a way to check on a dive operator's record, ANY dive operator.
After all of the glowing reports, I am looking forward to diving with Amigos Del Mar and bragging about the experience later.

#22036 - 04/24/00 03:42 AM Re: Scuba safety?
Marty Offline
No dive shop should say that they have the "best safety record on the
island," especially without statistical evidence. Actually, no-one
except the local Hyperbaric Chamber is keeping statistics and those are
confidential.. However, Amigos Del Mar, like just about every other
serious dive shop on Ambergris Caye, has a good safety record. Potential
diving guests of Ambergris Caye should be aware that no matter which of
the better known established dive shops they dive with they will be
subject to high standards of safety and supervision.

#22037 - 05/01/00 03:38 PM Re: Scuba safety?
Norbear Offline
If you have an open water certification then you know what you should be doing. Your the one that is in control of how fast you assend or desend no one else. Use what you have learned and dive safe.

[This message has been edited by Norbear (edited 05-01-2000).]

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (BrownDogs, Scuba do, 1 invisible), 52 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,027 Topics
462,227 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.