BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#220345 02/05/06 12:00 PM
S
OP Offline
S
How exactly does a person traveling alone protect their cash/credit cards/trav checks for a week in CC? Reading various message boards leads one to believe you should neither carry it nor leave it in your room....as a follow up, is this a safe place to visit and relax without having to worry about being hassled/harassed?

#220346 02/05/06 03:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I am beginning to wonder also...since I even felt hassled by message board for asking for alternatives to the airport to water taxi $25 taxi ride. Is this a safe place to go? Will I be safe at the place where I stay or do I need to worry about being robbed or raped in my room???

#220347 02/05/06 04:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
This board gets responses from a wide range of folks many of whom are working from a limited amount of experience on the Caye. Not that they are wrong, just trying to be helpful with whatever ideas they have.I even see posts from people who have never been here.
Many of us go off on tangents according to our own interests which doesn't always match those of the good folks planning their trip. Me,too.
The responses you see are not those one might get from the help desk.
The current "crime wave" seems to be one jerk maybe with an accomplice who has come from outside to steal small stuff from houses. This is undoubtedly going on in most of your home towns too, and on a much bigger scale. It is so rare here that it makes big news, while in a town in the US or Canada these crimes are so usual it isn't even reported.
Petty house theft, not violent crime.
I notice the new hotels have been mostly been built by new arrived investors who are using the standards of Mexico or Belize City in the designs. Bars on the windows? Double locked doors? those who live here have little need for that because we have many years of local knowledge to the contrary. My wife and I travel a lot and are always happy to get back home on Caye Caulker because we have always found it safer here than out in that big mean world out there. My advice -don't take off hand remarks made here as a comprehensive security analysis or harrassment when really it is more like bar talk.
Be careful enroute. It is a lot more dangerous in Mexico. Guat, and Smallville than it is here.

#220348 02/05/06 06:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Chillax people, nobody's gonna rape you, jesus christ, what's u'all problem, lock your room, nobody's gonna bother you, and if u felt bother, there are some people called" police" just go and have u'rself a good time.

#220349 02/06/06 12:42 AM
F
F
We have been many times. What you heard is hype!!!!! Really, no bad problems. Early in the morning you see parents walking/scootering/bicycling their children to school. Children are not allowed near the beach walk at night where the tourist's are as it is an adult place. This is not a "third world" (what ever that means) settlement. Every place in the world has problems. The Caye really does not have many and the little they have are non serious!
Go and enjoy and trust! But be aware as you would in your own neighborhood!

#220350 02/10/06 01:44 PM
H
H
Cay Caulker is a Very laid back place to visit, you have nothing to fear. as far as protecting your valuables dont leave them visable in your room put them inside your bags mixed with yoru clothes or see if the resourt your staying at has a lock box you can store them in, most do. dont carry around more than what you need for the time you will be away from you room, not that someone may rob you but for me atleast it is very easy to become distracted and forget you set something down.

last time i was there, there was a couple street hustlers on the island trying to sell things they shouldnt be, i'd say just dont talk to them and they should leave you alone, one of the people i was with last time had a problem with one of them and was told by a local shop owner she had become friends with that generaly the people that bother others like that are not from the island they are just there trying to hustle people and that if they become a problem they would be sent back, she never heard a word from the guy again for the rest of our stay. if you a problem of that sort with someone during your stay just talk to some of the local shop owners and workers about it and i'm sure it will be reasolved.

hope this helps

Mike

#220351 02/10/06 03:06 PM
C
C
Most people leave their doors unlocked who live on CC. I never feel threatened, even by the occasional crack-head. Just be reasonable and watch your stuff, as you would anywhere else on vacation or in your own neighborhood. Children roam freely. The family unit is strong. Most folks are friendly.

#220352 02/10/06 04:53 PM
L
L
Thanks for the kinds and encouraging word about our Isla Carinosa, the Friendly Island! It is indeed a nice place to live or visit. I say, use common sense and enjoy your well deserved vacation. Don't be oblivious, follow the same rules you follow at home. It's nice to see tourists, locals and children walking the streets and playing outside, in the sun. We have lived here for 10 years, with up and down's and still love our little Paradise! Come visit, don't let negative comments keep you away.....

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 161 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day