Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
[Linked Image]
http://new.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=15660
U.S. educator, active in Belize, dies at Caye Caulker
A good friend of Belize has died. Dr. Gay Wilentz, Director of Ethnic Studies at East Carolina University in the U.S.A., also worked as a visiting professor at the University of Belize. Her work here dated back to 1991 and she made it possible for a number of Belizeans to further their studies at E.C.U., while at the same time bringing American students to study in Belize. Wilentz edited several Belizean literature books, including the Belizean Women Writers series, the poetry anthology "She", "Conch Shell" by Jose Sanchez, and "Speak To Me/Háblame" by Amado Chan. She is survived by her husband, John Sabella, and countless grieving students in Belize, the United States, and Africa. Gay Wilentz passed away on Monday at her home in Caye Caulker. She was fifty-five years old.

Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites
Caye Caulker, Belize
www.auxilloubeachsuites.com
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
OMG, so sad to hear about this, I remember her, she used to stay at the Chateau Caribbean Hotel where I worked as a Front Office Assistant.

She was even encouraging me to further my education and was a very good motivator for other Belizean students. So sorry to hear about her passing, we have really lost a very valuable person and the funny thing is that I had no idea that she used to reside on Caye Caulker.

May she rest in peace!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Wendy:

Thanks for putting this on the website. Gay was a friend to many on Caye Caulker and the University of Belize Family. She will be missed greatly.

Her legacy lives on in having an endowment scholarship in here name being established at East Carolina University & the University of Belize.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day