Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#220816 - 04/11/06 09:25 PM Safety on Caye Caulker
iamsaz Offline
Hi there. I recently visited Caye Caulker and fell in love with the island, of course. I would like to return either with friends or without. I am a single mother. Would it be safe for me to be on the island by myself for a week? It certainly seems like a quiet, safe, and laid-back place to vacation. I'm also looking for a cheap place to stay. All I want is something clean with a bed! Any advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#220817 - 04/12/06 12:20 PM Re: Safety on Caye Caulker
Cooper Offline
Being Safe will depend on your actions more than actions of others. Crime here is mostly petty. A occasional bike taken. If you dont lock your room the chances of being robbed go up dramaticly, and who you choose to hang out with and your lifestyle have alot to do with it. Everyone here are so friendly. You will meet new friends at the split on the strret with big smiles and big hearts just remember your not really the coolist person they ever met and you are rich no matter what amount of money you have. A friend of mine who lives in San Pedro put it this way. The Belizeans are basically poor, the Gringos are always rich, they the Belizeans that take from the Gringos dont look at it as stealing but rather just reasigning the assets. I would say it is usually quit safe here for a single female. I am here alone alot. Most the locals are great people beware the guys hanging out on the street.

#220818 - 04/12/06 06:03 PM Re: Safety on Caye Caulker
did you have a bad experience with your last visit on the island, as to reason for the question? where did you stay? Depends how you behave and act will depend on how you are treated, advising that you are 'single' can be taken in all different ways by different people... are you looking for someone? Some people will be nice to you and tell you 'sweet nothings' but really there to 'use' you, and if you decide to have some relationship with a person ensure they are genuine and unattached! What you see is not what you get.But there are some fantastic people on the island as well. Be careful, be wary and it be up to you as to what you believe to be true, enjoy your stay and have a good time.

#220819 - 04/12/06 06:08 PM Re: Safety on Caye Caulker
iamsaz Offline
Cooper, thank you for the great information you gave me. If I visited CC alone I can't imagine that I would have much of a problem then. I'm early to bed and early to rise. I like to have a beer or two but am no means a partier. The Belizeans have an interesting way of looking at things as far as reassigning assets. I can see why they would think Gringos are rich if they are vacationing there. In my case, however, that's pretty much a joke. I'll be lucky if I can pay the airfare and find a hostel or something to stay in there. By the way, do you have any recommendations on where to stay? Someone mentioned the Rainbow Hotel. I noticed that their rates are pretty economical. A hostel would be fine with me too.

#220820 - 04/12/06 06:18 PM Re: Safety on Caye Caulker
iamsaz Offline
jaz: i did not have a bad experience at all when I visited CC. In fact, it was just the opposite! I fell in love with the island and want to visit many times. I was on a snorkeling tour and only spent about 1 1/2 hours there which wasn't nearly enough time for me to really get a feel for whether or not it would be safe for me to visit alone. I loved everything I saw and experienced in the short time I was there. I felt safe the whole time but there's a difference between being there with a group and being there by myself. No, I am not looking for a relationship. I am looking for a quiet, peaceful place to relax and recharge my batteries and I believe CC is it! People tell me not to travel alone (to Belize or anywhere) because it can be dangerous so I am looking for a little reassurance, that's all.

#220821 - 04/12/06 06:41 PM Re: Safety on Caye Caulker
Hi, I stayed on CC by myself in Feb of this year and had a great time. I stayed at Gran's Dorm, the price was excellent and I really enjoyed my time with the family that runs it. Only downside is a shared bathroom and no hot water shower, but there is a kitchen you can use. The price is under $20 Belize. I am returning there next week.

#220822 - 04/12/06 07:58 PM Re: Safety on Caye Caulker
pj the asphalt lady Offline
i stayed at the rainbow one night. Our reservations at our condo were messed up so we needed a place to stay. I was not at all happy with the rainbow but that's just my opinion.

#220823 - 04/12/06 09:54 PM Re: Safety on Caye Caulker
iamsaz Offline
megerie: It's nice to know that I'm not the only female who doesn't mind traveling alone. It's even more reassuring to know you found a place to stay where you feel comfortable. I like my hot water showers but I could forego them for a week if it means saving some money. The price you gave me sounds perfect. Does Gram's Dorm have a web site by any chance? I can't seem to find one. And I am SO JEALOUS that you will be there next week. ;-) Have a fantastic time!
pj: I'd like to know more about your stay at the rainbow. You can email me at if you're willing to share your experience with me.

#220824 - 04/12/06 10:23 PM Re: Safety on Caye Caulker
I travel alone all the time and I love it.
CC is a great place to chill out and relax, just use commonsense and enjoy your time. Didn't mean to offend you, I just know a few people who have been 'used' hurt, disappointed by different people on the island....just as how Cooper put it. Anyway, have a fantastic trip

#220825 - 04/12/06 10:25 PM Re: Safety on Caye Caulker
mslisa Offline
Hola Iamsaz!
I think it's so cool you're traveling back on your own. I have traveled alone many times and have made cherished friends; kinda all of the same tribe (travellers).

CC is a lovely place with a lovely vibe. People are generally very friendly and laid back, but definitely there is a certain level of cultural segregation - tourists to locals. To tourists it's playland, to locals it's their home.

I'm a black American sis with dreadlocks and my experience was different. I hung out mostly with locals because they vibed much the same way we do at home, just in Kreol. That's what I came for really to be among the people. I was travelling with a girl from the UK and I looked out for her, paticulary during Lobster Fest (dem yoot outta control, mein).

When travelling anywhere in C.A., just exercise common sense. I wouldn't go stroll off faded with some strange cat to gaze at the moon (the caye or the jungle). Hell nah. Nor would I give a fool cash who says he'll be back in 5 mins with my lobster fry. Again, hell nah.

I never had a problem and love CC, the landscape, the vibe, and the people very much. You'll def make new friends and be richer in spirit for the experience.

bless bliss up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day