BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
THE TRUTH ABOUT PELICAN POINT:
My wife and I bought two lots in the Pelican Point subdivision two years ago. I am a builder in the states and my wife is a nurse. We Love CC and all of the people, the laid back attitude and the diving is fabulous. We love the island so much we bought two lots and have made many trips. Liz Ross promised the world with her subdivision and we bought her crap. We still love the island and intend to retire there but we have learned some tough lessons along the way. The first is not to trust anyone in Belize with your money and especially anyone who promises you a real good deal . Liz is no exception and I will give you some examples.

One of the first breaches of our agreement with Liz Ross stripped us of water. The sale agreement (covenant) that is on record states among other things "... The overnight occupancy of houses will not be permitted until toilet facilities have been completed and the residence is connected to the CENTRAL WATER SYSTEM OF THE SUBDIVISION..." Since the signing of this document, the central water system has been abolished and Liz has releived herself of this obligation. The owners have been notified that they are on their own for water.

The electricity is the next big hurtle and then the dump, but these are anscilary to the initial construction concerns. John D. accurately portrays the conditions of the soil and roads in his reply on the message board by stating that it is spongy and won't support any construction equipment. I can attest to this first hand and offer the following example of what to expect from Sunset Enterprises Ltd.

In 2004 I was told by Bob Ross (while deciding whether or not to incorporate in Belize to perform residential construction) and I quote, "Come on down, We'll put you to work! You can build our resort ". I had 4 owners interested in building homes in the sub and Bob and Liz were supposedely ready to start the resort. My wife and I flew down and Liz showed us some examples of architecture that they were interested in mimicking (Isle Bonita, San Pedro) including the methods of construction to be used (Covetec foam/steel construction). My company purchased a mobile concrete mix truck, bobcat, golf cart, and duplicate hand tools to the tune of $30,000.00 based on the promise by the Ross's to load them onto a landing craft that they were buying and shipping them to CC for me free of charge. three weeks prior to the landing craft's departure, I was notified that the trip would cost me over $2,000.00 even though I was scheduled to crew the voyage myself with them. This was unacceptable and crooked and I wanted nothing more to do with this deal, so I immediately had to truck the concrete truck to Florida from Long Island and load up trucks and trailers to ship the rest of the equipment in order to meet the next shipping date to Belize City in 7 days. I booked a flight immediately to BZ in order to accomplish incorporating my BZ company and meeting the shipment to get it through customs. I Incorporated as Seashore Building Co. Ltd, I arranged for storage and shipment of all this equipment to CC, and even arranged for people to operate this equipment. Upon arrival to the island, I was taken on a golf cart trip down the newly constructed road to the sub. The road barely supported a golf cart and we almost got stuck. I addressed this issue with Bob and Liz just to have Bob tell me he was not doing anything more to this road and getting our equipment around the site was our problem. I replied that I was calling off the shipment if this were the case as I don't have any equipment that could move through suspended vegitation as spungy as the Pelican Point subdivision. He told me tuff luck(FU), do what you have to do.

On the water taxi to Belize City the next morning, Liz met me to discuss this issue and told me that she would follow my recomendations as to how to properly construct the road over such terrain and see to it that it would be done. It never happened! The roads still will not sustain any reasonably productive construction equipment leaving everyone to continue to build the "Belizian" way. Not to say this negatively in any way as i have seen some impressive craftmanship, but to make any reasonable profit, a businessman would have to perform this quality of work or better at a faster pace to actually make money on the island and I had the equipment to make this happen, sitting on a dock in Jacksonville waiting to ship. Thank God the shipment never left dock so I only had to deal with moving, storing and selling most of this equipment at a fraction of initial cost, shiping it to Florida and dealing with the aftermath of this nightmere. I lost thousands of US dollars as did others who helped fund this endeavor.

THE LATEST April 2006!!!
We were in CC in March and while visiting our property, Liz stopped to tell us she wanted to "Slide us over" indicating that she wanted us to accept different land for some reason but she was in a hurry to catch the water taxi and couldn't explain till the next day. We met her the next day and she notified us that she would probably need us to make a deal with her to give up one of our lots to make way for a marina for very expensive yachts guided by a Panamanian company. She offered us a lot on the other side of the canal because our lot sat right in the middle of her proposed Billion Dollar marina and of course I refused. I already have drawings and engineering done for the house for this lot and plan to start construction this fall. Regrouping is an expensive endeavor and the lot I was building on was unique. It was waterfront on two sides with only one neighbor. Exactly what we wanted for retirement. Any other lot would require new plans and engeneering. The only reason we were told about this BIG DEAL was because she needed our property to do it.

Since then she has indicated that this marina deal is a go. I immediately called Liz to discuss what to expect and what direction we were taking. She stated that she didn't like the reply I left on the CC message board and I would just have to wait until she knew what she was going to do. I told her that I wasn't going to place my schedule and money on the line again with merely a promise or hope. I don't want to quell any prudent efforts towards progress in the sub but I have a plan and I refuse to deviate from it any longer at the whim or fancy of Liz Ross and her grandios schemes.

Liz told me that if my lot were in the way of the marina she would merely "build around it". So my quiet retirement retreat will now be the boardwalk of a marina and possibly border me on 3 or 4 sides. During our meeting in CC she told me that we had to come to some agreement or I may be living on an island in the middle of this marina. WOW!!!! Let me quote from the Covenant;

"The vender hereby covenants with the Purchaser as follows:
(3) Not to do anyting or cause anthing to be done whereby the value of the property is or will be diminished or the Purchasers' rights in the property jeopardized."

So far Liz has decided not to provide water to the residents as demanded in the Covenant, and is threatening to create an island of my lot or at the very least, place me in the front yard of a very active marina and she thinks there is nothing I can do about it. I have news for her. I never go down without a fight and the gloves are definately on now. I certainly hope She doesn't think me to be so easily intimidated.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
wow now you can see how real estate is a cut troat business no shit. i tell you this white people are coming here geting our land and [#%!] each other after words ha ha. isin't live a bitch.

but no worries that is the way they are every where they go like sharks eating each other and finding a restfull place where to run from thier fellow country people and now they meet again and try to think it is difrent, ha ha u sleep u wake up in thier stomatch.
any ways to be continue reefshark and rooshark. ha ha ha.

C
C
It is a very strong statment you make not trusting anyone in Belize. Seems the only dishonest GRINGO may be Liz Ross. As a resident and home owner a very Happy One. We purchased, registered all contracts, papers all drawn up by attorneys. Although the folks we bought our house from gave us great advice along the way, we have heard to many stories about deals gone bad. I like the people here, I respect that I am in someone elses country. I truly feel those that land in bad situations and deals only have themselves to blame. There are safguards to protect the purchaser set up here. These exact same situations happen all over the world.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
R
OP Offline
R
I stand corrected. I should have said anyone, anywhere as you are right, things are the same in other places. I too love it there as evidenced by my investment.

I too respect someone elses country as well as any individual regardless of origin or color. I draw the line when someone tries to screw me over and I don't descriminate in these instances either. Liz just happens to be a Gringo as well but that doesn't matter. I am not the only owner there upset about these things. I am just more vocal about it.

It is a shame that out of everthing that was written, you had to pick out one that could be taken out of context to open your reply with. I assure you I respect and admire the Belizean people and especially those on CC as I have gotten to know many. This is only about what is happening in this subdivision and primarily what is not happening.

I also agree to some extent that "those that land in bad situations and deals only have themselves to blame." I do take responsibility for my situation. So I am choosing to do something to rectify it. Starting with this message. You see, I beleive that honesty pays off somewhere down the road. I am merely being honest.

C
C
I am sorry if I took what you said wrong. It is just that there are ways to obtain legal contracts, to protect yourself. People have been ripping off , or trying to rip off Gringos who come here and are to quick and to excited to obtain this new life in this new place and are to quick to try to grab a peice of paradise. We could of easily been in your shoes, my husband who is and has always been the over cautious type probably saved our ass from that situation. Hopfully you can get your labnd registered and obtain some type of title if you dont already. In the long run those parcels will increase in value with or without Liz, .

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Keep up the good work everyone should know what a rip off P.P.S.D.is

E
E
so where does the water in CC come from? Only rain? wells? and the electricity?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I just returned from CC and road past the PP area several times during my stay. Every time the wind was blowing the smoke from the dump over the PP land. Do people buying there think that they can get the dump moved or change the operation of the dump?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Every time I have seen PPSD the dump has been smoking like crazy. It needs to me moved to the mainland. It would seem to me that it is toxic and would contaiminate the ground water etc. There has to be a good landfill in the BC area. CC needs to take care of this.

I guess all the water is rain water. I don't think there is a water system on CC. Maybe I just missed it if there was. I know some places use ground water for the showers etc.

As far as the land goes. I would think any land would be valuable and the price has to go up. How many island lots are there anyway? supply and demand .... just look at the oil prices. It ain't cheap to drive a car anymore.

Those people just need to work it out. If not, then it is court time and they both spend a lot of money. What a waste.. work together people, be open and honest. A rare thing nowadays. Just do IT.

R
OP Offline
R
5 months now and still no info from sunset enterprises. has anyone been informed of anything?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day