Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#222165 - 12/10/06 02:42 PM Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth.
scottd. Offline
This is a long post, but it's for the sake of the truth that I be accurate....

My name is Scott Davies.
I'm the drummer for the Denver, Colorado USA based band,
Opie Gone Bad.

I also have a warrant out for my arrest in San Pedro.

Our band recently spent a week in San Pedro to play a few shows at Fido's, visit some old friends and have a good time. We came down with our families, friends and fans and also raised money for the San Pedro Rescue Team.

My wife Rachel and I were staying in a ground level condo at The Royal Palm.

On the morning of December 6th at about 1:30am, I was up late watching TV (Futurama on Cartoon Network to be exact).
My wife had turned in earlier and was sound asleep in one of the two back bedrooms.

Out of nowhere and about 5 feet from where I was sitting on the couch, there was a huge shattering of glass. I thought that maybe a vase had fallen or some dishes in the kitchen had fallen.
It was LOUD and startling.

When I stood up from the couch to see what had happened, there was glass everywhere on the floor.
Rachel immediately came out of the bedroom to see what was going on. It woke her up from a dead sleep. I told her to stay where she was because she was barefoot.

Next to the front door there is a window and it was horribly smashed in.
I suspected it was done with a Machete because the Venetian blinds were sliced cleanly in half.

I said to Rachel "We're packing up and getting the hell out of here right now!"
We first swept up the glass because we didn't want to get cut or have glass stuck to our shoes and luggage.

My wife was literally shaking and scared, but we managed to pack up pretty fast and planned to go to Exotic Caye where our friends were staying.

But first, I wanted to make sure that our golf cart was ok to drive. Who knows if the tires were slashed or if it was even out there?

So I dug out my SWAT knife from my backpack, for protection, and got up the nerve to have a look outside. When I opened the door, I saw the security guard casually walking up to our place. I said, "Hi" and told him what happened. He actually asked me if I had forgotten my key and broke in myself.

I'm 6'4" and the window is maybe a 12" wide by 3' tall.
"Nope" I said.

I also told him that if I had locked myself out, I would have just woken up the manager. Anyway, he keeps a log and should have known we were inside because we pulled up a few hours earlier in our cart and he saw us go inside.
Weird.

He called his boss on a radio and then he called the police.
The boss guy showed up in a minivan and he acted pretty unfriendly or indifferent towards me.

Two Police officers showed up about 20 minutes later and one of the cops identified himself as Officer Gomez. I didn't get the other cops' name. I told them what happened.

They wanted to know why we cleaned up the glass as it was "evidence". I explained why.
They also wanted to know why we didn't immediately call the police.

Alarms went off in my head and I started to suspect something was not right here.

Anyway....

I told you why we cleaned up the glass but... about the phone....
I didn't realize that we even had a phone in our condo. It turns out it was in the bedroom opposite of the one we were in. And besides, who would I call anyway? Is there 911 in San Pedro? Our condo didn't have a phone book or info about whom to call in an emergency.

I probably wouldn't have called them anyway because I feared for our safety and I wanted to get my wife out of there PRONTO and not have to stick around and wait for somebody to maybe or maybe not show up! We were scared.
Our stuff was packed and ready to go in the living room.

I finished giving my statement to the other officer, who was very nice by the way, and I thought that was that.

Nope....

Well now the guy, Gomez, is looking at me accusatory and he says to me, "something's funny about this, we're going to need to talk to you tomorrow, I think maybe you did this."
He was suggesting that I had broken into my own condo!!!
Or perhaps we had a domestic dispute. I started to get pissed off by now.

Look Gomez....

My wife and I have never once even raised our voices to each other. We've traveled to many places and we respect each other enough to not fight and resolve our differences like mature adults.

She's my best friend and besides... she's a tall strong girl and could probably kick my ass anyway.

I took offense to this and got a little disrespectful myself. I used some words that were inappropriate whilst talking about the situation and he said I could be arrested for swearing in front of an officer.

I apologized for swearing in the presence of an officer.
But here's the thing....

And hey Gomez, if you're reading this, listen up and pay attention.....

A POLICE OFFICER'S NUMBER ONE JOB IS TO PROTECT AND SERVE.
I am a guest in your lovely country. I respect the rules of conduct.
You don't accuse two guests, who are obviously shaken up, of committing a crime based on your feeling that "something is funny".

Was my wife red eyed from crying or did you see any other sign of domestic violence?

No...

Did you even ask her?

No...

The window was obviously broken from the outside because there was NO GLASS on the ground out there as there should be if smashed from the inside.
And there was still a lot of glass on the inside window sill. I also would have had to move a tea cart that was partially blocking the window in order to break it.
Not to mention, cutting the blinds cleanly in half. I don't have a weapon capable of doing that in one stroke.

And hey Clouseau.....

Did you even ask the tenants upstairs or any of the other neighbors or the security guard if they had heard an argument prior to the window smashing?? The walls in that place are paper thin, surely somebody would have heard something.
Aren't cops supposed to ask these kinds of questions and gather solid evidence?
The good ones do.

Ok folks... almost done...

I found out from a friend who lives there, that the security company at the Royal Palm wants the Royal Palm to fork out more $$ for an additional security guard and I may very well have been the scapegoat.
There have been 3 other break-ins in the past month alone.
"Sounds funny" to me.

We were assaulted, harassed and humiliated....
And now I have a warrant out for me????!!!

I tell you what, Officer Gomez and The San Pedro Police....

I play in a fairly high profile band here in the USA, and I believe you're pirating a few of our TV stations from Denver.
And those stations would love to hear about this newsworthy story.
And you, San Pedro Police, would be able to watch it!

I made some great friends in San Pedro and would love to see you all again, but now I can't because of your corrupt, stupidly inept police department. You canít accuse a good man of harming his wife and dragging my name through the mud...
And get away with it. Iím not some spineless Gringo.

I could have left this alone at the break-in. No problem, I've been broken into before and that's no big deal to me.
But my wife and I were wrongfully insulted and humiliated and I will certainly warn my fellow Americans about San Pedro's finest and their "security" guards because I donít want this to happen to anyone else.

Scott Davies
Denver, Colorado USA

#222166 - 12/10/06 03:59 PM Re: Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth. [Re: scottd.]
Otteralum Offline
Damn -- if the facts are as you say, that is one messed up situation -- good luck

#222167 - 12/10/06 04:01 PM Re: Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth. [Re: scottd.]
dogmatic prevaricator Offline
Is there a reward offered for information leading to your arrest?

#222222 - 12/10/06 09:53 PM Re: Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth. [Re: dogmatic prevaricator]
NYgal Offline
We generally think of the police being helpful.....at home!

This situation certainly is suspicious and not something I would want to encounter while visiting in another country.

Good Luck!

#222230 - 12/10/06 10:27 PM Re: Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth. [Re: NYgal]
Denny Shane Offline
Very interesting half of the story I must say. Would be interested in hearing the other half.

#222231 - 12/10/06 10:35 PM Re: Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth. [Re: Denny Shane]
ambergrishog Offline
Yep. What is it they say about the facts... there are two sides to every story except in the matter of a domestic dispute, his, hers, and the truth. Still, would be interesting to hear from residents of Royal Palms who were in residence at the time. On another note, Opie Gone Bad is an awesome band and put on a good show.

#222232 - 12/10/06 10:41 PM Re: Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth. [Re: Denny Shane]
DANZA Offline
Seems like with the recent problems at the Royal Palm they may want to resolve this as well. If everything you say is true don't drop it. Hopefully you can resolve this from home and be able to come back someday, with hopefully a better outcome.
But at least nobody was on the dock.

#222269 - 12/11/06 06:45 AM Re: Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth. [Re: DANZA]
denverdan Offline
WOW... what a drag for you and the wife!
RP owners may want to be holding a meeting soon with all that has been reported going on there recently.
There are two sides to every story, I agree (sometimes three)... but recently it looks like there is trouble a brewing.
Hummmm... any 2 bedroom 2 bath units for sale there? Iíll buy if you all wanna elect me property manager for RP! Iím ready for a changeÖ ;-)

#222275 - 12/11/06 08:30 AM Re: Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth. [Re: denverdan]
seashell Offline
Is Gomez a short, somewhat rotund fellow?

#222276 - 12/11/06 01:15 PM Re: Thank You Barney Fife. Now Here's the Truth. [Re: seashell]
dogmatic prevaricator Offline
No, that would be Sanchez.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (lomckenna, Marty), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,023 Topics
462,214 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.