Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#222675 12/12/06 04:14 PM
E
OP Offline
E
I will be going to San Pedro with my 16 year old daughter and her friend. They have this idea they can run around in their golf cart by themselves. Of course being the protective mother I am I am not comfortable with that. Can you enlighten me a little about saftey - what to tell them about going out (if I let them go out at night - doubtful) just some words of caution and encouragement would be nice.
Marie

I don't remember what the age requirement is to rent a golf cart but I know you must have a valid drivers license and a credit card for deposit in order to rent one. It has become very challenging to drive one these days - dodging bikes, cars, scooters, ATVs and then also know which streets run which way and which are closed on weekends. Then the added confusion on street parking - from the first to 15th of the month versus the 16th to the end (which totally confused me a few weeks ago).

You are right to be a concerned Mother. In my humble opinion, it should be you driving.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Hi Marie
how to say this...if they are stupid, then they will find trouble...just like at home. they are safe to be out on the cart by themselves anywhere on the island during the day...PROVIDED they arent stupid! meaning, if they get invited to someone's house that they dont know...thats stupid. here or the US. same goes at night. If i have had too many cocktails and am walking down the street at 3am, i'm stupid...here or the US.

NOW...having said that, there is an incredibly low incident of violent crimes here on the island. the locals really do try to respect the fact that tourism makes the island.

BUT...sometimes, local boys, they can be vulgar. the girls would do well to be warned that they will get cat called, called out to, HISSED at (yes, they HISS at you), and the like. It should be handled as it would anywhere else....generally, just ignore it.

The island is a wonderful place, and i have no doubt with a little common sense (that goes for ALL travellers anywhere) everyone will absolutely have the time of their lives.

dont worry, just enjoy...it all makes sense when you are get here...

Lara

Gela #222682 12/12/06 04:26 PM
tell em hell no. i had this fight with my teen age daughter (she's 25 now) and her friends. what a nasty fight that was!!!!

they think they are all grown up....

go out with them. always. thats a father who has a lot of experience along these lines.

especially with friends. what do you tell their parents if something happens and you let em go on their own in a country they don't know much about? i never could come up with anything for that....

Marty #222685 12/12/06 04:28 PM
comments above refer to nighttime. daytime, well i go with what Lara says. don't be stupid.

Marty #222686 12/12/06 04:30 PM
and they certainly don't need a cart.....they can get anywhere on their feet........that they need to be. maybe even a bike... but a golf cart for a sixteen year old and her friend sounds a little eccentric.....unless you are staying a long way from town...

Change your Latitude
We started going to AC when my kids were 13, 17, and 19. We are making our 5th trip next week, and they have still never driven the golfcart in town. It can be really chaotic; golfcarts, taxis and tractors much too wide for the road,bikes, scooters, dogs, little kids. The last thing I want is for someone to get hurt because I caved in to my teenager (not to mention the possible legal consequences). As far as letting them loose on their own at night, that's a judgment better left to you since you know your own child. If you think they're mature enough to be on their own in a strange city in the US(let's say a partying college town, just for comparison's sake), they'll probably be okay. Go out with them the first night, hit some of the clubs, and see what you think.

We brought our girls with us several times to AC and I'm sure during one of those times one of them had to have been 16 as they are 18 (19 this month) and 21 now. I'd also like to tell you that we have pretty dang good kids but even with that being said...
I would strongly suggest you accompany them everywhere. Maybe they can go off to gift shop while your in town doing lunch but you must give them boundaries in my personal opinion� and they should check in with you fairly often. When our family would go out for lunch, dinner... whatever, the young men would still try to "pick up the girls" with us being at the same dang table. Some young men are very persistent and you are not in the US! There of course drugs on the Island too, another little problem you/they may have to deal with. ;-)
Needless to say, our girls never left our sides during any of our trips to the Island!
Although I could have done without the bubble night when I took the eldest clubbing one evening... try to find your kid in a room full of bubbles! IT'S DIFFICULT TO SAY THE LEAST! I shoulda sent the hubby that night (coulda saved me a cracked rib too if he went instead!) HA

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Depends whether you trust their judgement. If you don't, keep them on a tight rein. If you do, let them read this thread and if it's legal let them go off by themselves. No-one can promise that they'll be PERFECTLY safe, but the chance of anything untoward happening to them here is much lower than anywhere else I can think of. But just my humble opinion.

#222796 12/12/06 11:22 PM
I don't agree with pedro2 about this being a judgment call, especially for teens.
I know you know this already Easterinbelize... but do remember they are 16 year old girls and you are the responsible adult. You are responsible for them! Make a stand for their safety.
Heck... Marty (the webmaster) knows MANY people on Island and his family has visited many times over the years... you already read what he said!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 165 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.