Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
While government works at bringing the country's debt under control there is the question of how effective they are being. Today Governor of the Central Bank Sydney Campbell told the press that the country's reserves are at less than ideal standards of having only one and a half months worth of reserves.
Sydney Campbell, Governor of Central Bank
"The last check I had, about a week ago, it was, the number would have been approximately one point five months of imports we would have and that is based on how we estimate what would be the coverage for Belize going forward and therefore to put it in dollars term, it would be approximately close to, without trying to be wrong, it would be about sixty one million U.S. dollars we would have."

Alfonso Noble,
Is this a critical level?

Sydney Campbell,
"Well the higher it would be the best it would be for us, the higher the reserve we have. There is a rule of thumb which says that you should always try to maintain, reach a target of three months of imports. So that is where we are trying to achieve. I could say that if we do a projection forward, we would expect that that one point five months of imports would substantially improve over the next six months to a year."

Campbell says that acceptable rates for reserves should be at least 3 months. And while that's the ideal our information that in the past the reserves have dipped to as low as 3 weeks. That's not projected to happen with the bolstering of the IDB loan coming later this month as well as the Venezuelan loan coming on stream.

Marty, should anyone that has money in the Belize Bank be worried about this situation?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
i am not a monetary expert, but i will keep my ear out. i wouldn't think its a real dramatic difference tho

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The first sign that we've crossed the threshold may be that the lights go out, when BEL can no longer pay the electricity bill. Or we can't buy drinking water, because there's no electricity to run the plant. This country is heading for disaster, and the cause really does seem to be large scale corruption and theft at political levels. There does seem to be a lot of foreign currency coming in, but it seems to vanish. Anyone disagree?

S
S
Darn, I guess I have to redeposit all that cash I took out for Xmas shopping!

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Has the solvency of the Belize Bank ever been in question?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
You might as well ask if Michael Ashcroft is about to go broke.

There is no correlation between the solvency of a bank and the personal net worth of the major stockholder.

People with Belize dollars, no matter where they are held, will loose substantially when the economy of the country finally crashes. And, that is "when" not "if".

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Byron - I know we agree on the inevitability of a crash (and my comment above was tongue-in-cheek). But what do you see as the underlying cause? Is it that fraud and theft are on such a massive scale, or is there a more subtle yet more inexorable cause?

All of what you mentioned. Peter. You have a country that has been badly mismangaged along with the corruption. A country with a huge national debt without the gnp to service even the interest. The taxing initiated will only compound the problem and put more of a strain on those who generate the income to the country. When other countries no longer give loans and forgive loans and interest, the economy will colapse. It is just a matter of time. The Argentina collapse has many similarities. There was an article in the Houston Chronicale when Argentina collapsed. Everywhere it said Argentina, you could substitute Belize. They talked of a country with a corrupt and ineficient goverment that borrowed more money than the economy could support and that eventially caused the inevitable collapse. The bright side is Argentina is improving and that can happen to Belize, but it will be very painful to the people of Belize who will loose alot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.