Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22318 07/25/00 01:30 AM
OP Offline
since we are staying a good piece south of town whats up with the bikes? if we want to run into town for an hour or so to shop, eat or basically hang out who wants to rent bikes. like are there bike hitching posts. do ya need to lock them up. are they nice bikes or are they 40 lb schwins? are there plenty of cart cabs to haul our tired butts back to the house? what if we're partying late at "whose your daddy's? are there cart cabs late at night. what do they charge for that 1.5 mile fare

Lock up the bikes. Most of the lodging that have bikes have the older style one speeds. Get you into shape. Cab will be about $4-5 US, and they are readily available. Be fewer late at night, but they are around.

You can always walk the beach front. If you stay together no problem. Very little crime, but you are out of town and like anywhere in the world a little caution is needed.

T
T
I agree the bikes should be locked. The walk is very easy from out of town. Most likely you won't mind it. At home I would never think of walking 1.5 miles home from the bar. In Ambergris you will feel different. However, if you are tired, the cabs are easy to get. We never had a problem getting a cab. I am assuming you are south of town. If you are north of town I believe you can't get a cab you need a water taxi. During the day no problem but at night when the bars close, I don't believe there are any water taxis. I maybe wrong on this.

T
T
Oops. I see you are staying south of town! You will have a great time. Enjoy your trip.

[This message has been edited by Terri (edited 07-25-2000).]

Some of the resorts south of town -- for example Coconuts and Paradise Villas -- throw in free bike use as part of the price. Others rent them. As others have noted, cabs are easy to get (they will seek you out if you are walking around town, or if you're at your hotel the front desk will call them.) It's usually about US$5 from the south end hotels to town. The other option is renting a golf cart. Or walking.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
I meant to write >>some of the resorts south of town including Coconuts and CARIBBEAN Villas <<

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
If your staying farther south of town....say from Banyan Bay and points south...Tropica, Banana Beach, Mata Rocks, Royal Palm, or Caribe Island....you will payin-between $7-$10 bz for cab fair. Caribe Island does have it's own van, but I think they only use it to pick you up on arrival....and take you back on departure to the airport.
Most of the cab drivers will be parked right in the town square....where the park is.....waiting for you to come out of the bar. This is a busy time for them. There are also food vendors ready to sell you that late night snack. They have the best hotdogs!....LOL After several rum and cokes at Fido's....boy do they taste good! [Linked Image]
Bicycles can be rented by the day or week even. Some people never lock their bikes up here....and most times...nothing happens. I always lock everything up.....old habit from the states....LOL I just feel better knowing I won't have to spend money to replace it. Bikes are expensive here. Most rental bikes here are beach cruisers....which you will be thankful for when you hit that loose sand....trust me!
If you prefer walking....at a steady pace from Banyan Bay to town takes about 40 minutes....depending on how long your legs are....LOL.
Have a great trip!

Visit BELIZE WORLD! http://www.geocities.com/sanshakr.geo

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.